HydroMAXXX leaders - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #11
dredwards
Registered Users-pm+

dredwards has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdredwards has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdredwards has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdredwards has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdredwards has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdredwards has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdredwards has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdredwards has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdredwards has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdredwards has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdredwards has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Thank You. I have an older Penn Jigmaster I use in the surf. I basically put the 6500 out for whatever may pick up. I only have 17# line on it and 400# leader seem a little too big. I was just looking for a smaller all around leader more in tune with the line i have on the reel. I do appreciate your insight. Thanks again.
dredwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredwards View Post
Thank You. I have an older Penn Jigmaster I use in the surf. I basically put the 6500 out for whatever may pick up. I only have 17# line on it and 400# leader seem a little too big. I was just looking for a smaller all around leader more in tune with the line i have on the reel. I do appreciate your insight. Thanks again.
Here's what I do with my 6500.
Option 1: 1/0 3-way swivel, 30# mono, and size 2 khale hook.
Cut about 18" of mono and tie one end to a eye on the 3-way swivel and the other end to your weight. I usually use a 3oz or 4oz pyramid or storm sinker. Then cut about 12" of mono and tie one end to another eye of the 3-way swivel and the other to a size 2 khale hook. then tie your main line to the third eye of the 3-way swivel. I use an improved clinch knot but you can use what ever knot you like. This is the rig that stays on my 6500's 95% of the time. I use it to fish fresh dead shrimp or finger mullet. This is primarily used to catch bait like whiting, croaker, or sand trout, but I catch trout, reds and drum on it all the time.

Option 2: 3/0 3-way swivel, 80# mono, and a 5/0 to 7/0 circle hook.
Cut about 24" of mono and tie one end to a eye of the 3 way swivel and the other to your weight. I will usually use a 4oz to 6oz pyramid, storm sinker, or smaller spider weight. Then cut about 16" of mono and tie one end to another eye of the 3-way swivel and the other to your hook. Then tie your main line to the third eye of the 3-way swivel. I use a improved clinch knot for this one to, but any knot will work. I use this with cut bait or crab to catch slot reds and drum, but I regularly catch bull reds, big uglys, and small sharks with it.
Attached Images

sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2019, 01:03 AM   #13
chimster
Registered Users-pm+

chimster is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
What size mono do you use behind your leader?
chimster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #14
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimster View Post
What size mono do you use behind your leader?
What do you mean by behind the leader?
Old 07-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #15
chimster
Registered Users-pm+

Yeah, that wasn't clear. Sorry. I meant what do you use as your main line on the spool? What size?
Old 07-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #16
sharkchum
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, that wasn't clear. Sorry. I meant what do you use as your main line on the spool? What size?
30# mono

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #17
chimster
Registered Users-pm+

For example, my guess is that if I am using a 135 lb. Wire leader, I would use maybe 100# mono with some braid backing.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #18
chimster
Registered Users-pm+

Ah. Just saw your response
Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #19
sharkchum
Banned

Quote:
For example, my guess is that if I am using a 135 lb. Wire leader, I would use maybe 100# mono with some braid backing.
The wire leader is just to keep the sharks from biting off, it has nothing to do with the size of your main line. I only use 50# on my 6/0 and 9/0. The only reason you would ever need 100# main is if you were fishing for great whites off the coast of south Africa.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #20
chimster
Registered Users-pm+

I guess I forgot to mention that I am heading to South Africa to fish for great whites.

Thanks for the info.