How to use crab for bait. - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
How to use crab for bait.

One of the questions I get asked most often is "How do you use crab for bait?" This is sort of a starter guide for people that have never used crab. I'm not saying that this is the"Best" way or "Only" way, but it is both easy and effective. If anyone else has a different way of doing it please feel free to share. To start out, always buy live crab, never dead or frozen because the meat will not stay in the shell once you cut the crab. They easiest way I've found to keep crab alive it to simply put them in a ice chest on top of ice, never put the ice on top of the crab because this will kill them. When you get ready to use one for bait simply remove the back, legs, and claws and cut the body in half along the seam, but the smaller ones can be used whole. To rig the crab on the hook, insert the hook into one of the leg holes and out the bottom of the shell, hooked in this fashion the bait will not come off easily and it leaves plenty of the hook exposed to ensure a good hook set. Don't forget about the claws, they are excellent bait. To rig a claw simply insert your hook in one side of the elbow joint and out the other, it will not come off and you don't have to fight trying to get the hook through the heavy clay shell. After it's on the hook break the shell up some with a pair of pliers to get the scent out. I hope this will help people just starting out to be more successful at winter time surf fishing.
Attached Images

sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
gaftop
Registered Users-pm+

gaftop has been promoted to Pirategaftop has been promoted to Pirategaftop has been promoted to Pirategaftop has been promoted to Pirategaftop has been promoted to Pirategaftop has been promoted to Pirategaftop has been promoted to Pirategaftop has been promoted to Pirategaftop has been promoted to Pirategaftop has been promoted to Pirategaftop has been promoted to Pirate
Good info. Thanks! I learned the hard way about frozen crab...no worky
gaftop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
willygee
Registered Users-pm+

willygee has been promoted to Piratewillygee has been promoted to Piratewillygee has been promoted to Piratewillygee has been promoted to Piratewillygee has been promoted to Piratewillygee has been promoted to Piratewillygee has been promoted to Piratewillygee has been promoted to Piratewillygee has been promoted to Piratewillygee has been promoted to Piratewillygee has been promoted to Pirate
reps!
willygee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
bballman
Registered Users-pm+

bballman has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbballman has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbballman has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbballman has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbballman has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbballman has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbballman has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbballman has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbballman has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbballman has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbballman has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Thanks sharkchum. great information .
bballman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
[email protected]
Registered Users-pm+

oscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirate
here is how I like hooking my crabs"
http://catchingbigfish.net/CRABTIPS.html

When you do this your actually throwing out a live crab. The little fish don't bother this bait. Also, during the closed crabbing season I use frozen crabs that I purchase and freeze in a paper bag.
oscar@CBF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #6
Dhn121
Registered Users-pm+

Dhn121 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I did not use the claws last time I fished. I'll have to save it and throw a few lines out with it. Thanks for sharing the tip, very helpful.
Dhn121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
scrambler
Registered Users-pm+

scrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Pirate
Cloud

Has anyone had luck finding crabs lately? My usual Asian grocery stores in SW Houston have had empty crab bins the last couple of times I've checked and the Surfside bait camps haven't had crabs either.
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 11:32 PM   #8
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
Has anyone had luck finding crabs lately? My usual Asian grocery stores in SW Houston have had empty crab bins the last couple of times I've checked and the Surfside bait camps haven't had crabs either.
Baybrook seafood in Seabrook has tons, I picked up 20lbs today.
sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #9
colbyntx
Shut up and fish!

colbyntx has been promoted to Piratecolbyntx has been promoted to Piratecolbyntx has been promoted to Piratecolbyntx has been promoted to Piratecolbyntx has been promoted to Piratecolbyntx has been promoted to Piratecolbyntx has been promoted to Piratecolbyntx has been promoted to Piratecolbyntx has been promoted to Piratecolbyntx has been promoted to Piratecolbyntx has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkchum View Post

They won't by 9:00AM tomorrow!

Good info Chum!
colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
scrambler
Registered Users-pm+

scrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Piratescrambler has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkchum View Post
Thanks. I usually go to Galveston via Hwy 288 but might have to go 45.
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message