Launch in 4 wheel drive or not - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2020, 10:39 PM   #1
acassidy
Registered Users-pm+

acassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirateacassidy has been promoted to Pirate
Launch in 4 wheel drive or not

Heard that if I launch in 4 wheel drive when I put it in park it locks all 4 wheels. I have 2019 Chevy Z71 4 wheel drive. I usually kill the truck while launching. What would happen if I launch and put it in 4 wheel drive and then put it in park and then kill the motor?

I use wheel blocks for rear wheels and I am talking about launch not pull out. boat is a 24' Whaler
Thanks
Archie
acassidy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I launch a 26ft Southshore that weighs 6700 pounds. Also launch a 26ft Ranger with twin engine offshore boat that weighs more than that about 7700. Both are heavier than that whaler.

With a BMW SUV.... i dont do anything special except on a steep ramp i put the parking brake on.

You're way over thinking it. Shouldn't need 4x4. Park is a lil parking pawl inside the transmission. Your tires turn your differentials connected to drive shafts that turn your transmission. Front driveshaft additionally goes thru a transfer case. The PARK parking pawl simply locks the transmission. Your tires are turning against the driveshaft trying to turn the transmission. I dont see why 4x4 park would be necessary. Use parking break if necessary. Much safer much more solid and designed for what you are asking. That parking pawl can actually break under the forces you describe.
Attached Images

Sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
acoastalbender
Registered Users-pm+

acoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirate
When you back down the ramp you aren't for the most part using the gas pedal ... like most of us you work the brakes backing down ... all 4 wheels have a brake and if you should back down a little too far and put your back wheels into the water and possibly some green slime well, no worries right? Your front tires are on solid mostly dry ramp and you have plenty of grip up front ... now you are pulling out with your boat and release the brakes and press the accelerator a little but nothing happens ... a little more on the gas and still nothing ... worse yet you're slowly sliding down the ramp and nothing you do seems to help ... at this point your best bet is to just engage the brakes and look around to see if there is someone left in the area who'll give you a pull ... any time I am at a ramp the 4x4 will always be engaged ...
acoastalbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
boom!
Registered Users-pm+

boom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirate
Most parking brakes only work on the rear brakes. If steep or slippery, I’d much rather be in 4x4 low. Just pull straight out, no turns.
boom! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
BBCAT
Registered Users-pm+

BBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to PirateBBCAT has been promoted to Pirate
Sgrem is correct about that parking pawl on an automatic transmission, they can snap. You can gain some additional piece of mind with a standard transmission by killing the engine with 4x4 engaged and in gear.
BBCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
SARGEANTSEACAT
Registered Users-pm+

SARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to Pirate
If your really concerned about it, you could always use a brake line lock for the front.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
SARGEANTSEACAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #7
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Short answer for all 4 wheels to be locked in park when in 4wd...no. In park the rear wheels work against each other so if one slips it's over. You should additionally set your parking brake if worried about it as mentioned above. Sgrem has a bit different scenario in that his BMW is all wheel drive. If launching my big offshore boat, I don't engage the front hubs...unless it's a steep ramp...but will jerk it down in 4 low. I don't ever shut the engine down while in the ramp...too many things that can go wrong...
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Never done or ever heard of doing any of that. Parking brake on my truck doesn't even work. Never needed 4wd on any ramp in any condition I've been in
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #9
Jkmoore03
Registered Users-pm+

Jkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to PirateJkmoore03 has been promoted to Pirate
Don’t over think this. If you are worried about your vehicle slipping/moving while in park just set the parking brake. Don’t use 4 wheel drive as another braking safety feature.

And as some else mentioned, I always leave my truck running. If it’s in park and you set the parking brake there is nothing to worry about.
Jkmoore03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2020, 08:27 PM   #10
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Yup, leave the truck running!
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message