Question for the Trout fisherman out there!! - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2005, 12:30 AM   #11
boashna
Registered Users-pm+

boashna has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieboashna has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieboashna has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieboashna has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieboashna has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieboashna has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieboashna has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieboashna has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieboashna has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieboashna has been promoted to the rank of Swabbieboashna has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
90% of fish I catch are trout and have not notice any problem , I fish confederate area ,westbay

boashna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 01:10 AM   #12
FlatoutFishin
Spout ain't catchin any!

FlatoutFishin has been promoted to PirateFlatoutFishin has been promoted to PirateFlatoutFishin has been promoted to PirateFlatoutFishin has been promoted to PirateFlatoutFishin has been promoted to PirateFlatoutFishin has been promoted to PirateFlatoutFishin has been promoted to PirateFlatoutFishin has been promoted to PirateFlatoutFishin has been promoted to PirateFlatoutFishin has been promoted to PirateFlatoutFishin has been promoted to Pirate
Protein suppliments! They won't hurt you, like mentioned before just fry'em up and enjoy. Pretend your on Fear Factor. LOL
FlatoutFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2005, 05:49 AM   #13
texacajun
The Republic of Texas

texacajun has been promoted to Piratetexacajun has been promoted to Piratetexacajun has been promoted to Piratetexacajun has been promoted to Piratetexacajun has been promoted to Piratetexacajun has been promoted to Piratetexacajun has been promoted to Piratetexacajun has been promoted to Piratetexacajun has been promoted to Piratetexacajun has been promoted to Piratetexacajun has been promoted to Pirate
Worms

Of the seven Trout I've caught outta Chocolate Bay 5 of them had some worms in them. I've never really noticed them before fishing outta Eagle point but maybe I just wasn't paying much attention. Seems like there have been more lately, maybe I'm wrong. I've talked to several people and they say the worm issue is about the same to them. Me personaly, I try to pick out as much as possible. I don't care to eat them even if they do go away or whatever they do when you cook the filet.
texacajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #14
Calcasieu Cracker
Registered Users-pm+

Calcasieu Cracker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Calcasieu Cracker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Calcasieu Cracker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Calcasieu Cracker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Calcasieu Cracker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Calcasieu Cracker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Calcasieu Cracker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Calcasieu Cracker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Calcasieu Cracker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Calcasieu Cracker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Calcasieu Cracker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Yum Yum! There have always been worms in trout, always will be. If you don't want to eat them, better to become a C&R kinda guy. In fact I find it rare to fillet a trout w/o finding at least a couple of worms in them and even when you don't see them they are probably there.
Calcasieu Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2005, 10:34 AM   #15
Bucksnort
100% BS

Bucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to PirateBucksnort has been promoted to Pirate
Its been my experience that the trout from the surf have more worms in them than the bay trout. I can't believe some of ya'll throw away good meat because of a few worms...like mentioned in this post they desinigrate when fried and don't hurt a thing.
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #16
JohnHumbert
Worldangler

JohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to Pirate
Trout and Worms..

The worms found in trout have an interesting life cycle that is dependant on the trout being eaten by blacktip sharks....

It is my understanding that virtually ALL trout have worms - to some degree. The smaller trout tend to have more worms and the all trout tend to have more worms when blacktip shark populations are up - and shark populations (especially in the bays) are VERY high right now.

Also, I once heard that trout schools that are found in open water (where there are greater number of sharks) tend to get heavily loaded with worms - and if you catch trout with a lot of worms - there are sure to be blacktips nearby.....
JohnHumbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2005, 10:59 AM   #17
swifty
swifty

Location: Texas Hill Country but leave a piece of my heart in Rockport everytime I visit...
swifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirate
I'm sure y'all have seen this before on TPWD...like someone said here and my grandfather used to say - more protein!!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/spe...out/strout.htm

From TPWD---
"Some trout caught may have worms embedded in the flesh along the backbone. These "spaghetti" worms are larval stages of a tapeworm that can only reach maturity in sharks. It cannot survive in man even if it is eaten raw. The worms can easily be removed during filleting to make the meat more appealing."
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #18
Capt. John Havens

Capt. John Havens has been promoted to PirateCapt. John Havens has been promoted to PirateCapt. John Havens has been promoted to PirateCapt. John Havens has been promoted to PirateCapt. John Havens has been promoted to PirateCapt. John Havens has been promoted to PirateCapt. John Havens has been promoted to PirateCapt. John Havens has been promoted to PirateCapt. John Havens has been promoted to PirateCapt. John Havens has been promoted to PirateCapt. John Havens has been promoted to Pirate
Every year this same subject comes up. Here is some info I got from TPW back in 2000. Hope this may help.

Those are worms you see in the muscle tissue of trout. They are the intermediate stage of a shark tapeworm and when seen in trout are sometimes referred to as "spaghetti worms". These worms are common to fish in the drum family (e.g. red drum, black drum and spotted seatrout). A study done in Louisiana estimated that approximately 40 percent of the spotted seatrout in Louisiana and Mississippi are infested with these parasites. It would be a safe assumption to make that Texas is no different.

The life cycle of this tapeworm begins with the production of eggs by the 6-8 inch adult worm in the sharks intestine. Eggs passing into the water hatch into free-swimming larvae. These larvae are eating by small crustaceans (e.g. copepods) where they change into another stage called a procercoid. When the crustaceans are eaten by small fish the procercoid is passed on. This continues until a trout eats a fish containing the parasite. The parasite changes shape again and migrates from the fish's digestive system to the muscle where it becomes the "spaghetti worm". When the trout is eaten by a shark the tapeworm completes it's life cycle and it start all over.

Interestingly the study in Louisiana found that infected trout carried an average infection load of only 1-2 worms. Sometimes it appears there are more worms when fish are cleaned because the actual worm may be cut several times. Another interesting discovery of the study was that once infected, the fish develops an immunity to further infestation. That's why we don't see more worms in larger, older fish.

As has been mentioned in some of the posts these worms are not harmful to humans, just not very appetizing. Cooking the meat will kill the worm and you probably won't be able to even find it in the piece of fish. Actually, all fish have parasites; some are just easier to see than others.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Lance Robinson TPW-Coastal Fisheries Seabrook Marine Laboratory

Capt. John Havens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2005, 11:03 AM   #19
bill

bill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Pirate
the chances are very high that you eat worse things everyday, now if you eat out (fast food ect) you can get into some scary things.
How much rat hair is OK by the FDA in a can of tuna? More than you might think. Roaches, just don't even try and think about them.

bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #20
seapro
fishingfanatic

seapro has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseapro has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseapro has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseapro has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseapro has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseapro has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseapro has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseapro has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseapro has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseapro has been promoted to the rank of Privateerseapro has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I have never given the worms in the trout a second thought. I just fillet the fish and cook them. The parasites are just extra protein.
seapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message