2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

I plugged my RV into a 240V outlet

6K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  fishingwithhardheadkings 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever had this problem? How bad is it? I don't even know where to start the diagnoses, I can tell you only my outlets work, nothing else. What should I do?:(

#6 ·
If it was a 30 amp camper plugged into a 220 volt dryer plug, the converter is probably fried. If the a/c and tv were on when plugged in, they are could be toast too. Check circuit breakers at your rv panel, you might be lucky. Probably not so much for your 12 volt converter.

#10 ·
Thanks for the comments, I got busy yesterday and couldnt respond. Yes, the dumb electrician that installed a new 30 amp plug for me goofed it all up, he was suppose to be a electrician thats why I hired him! So far, with an outside power source, I know that my fridge, microwave, coffe pot and all me lights dont work. The a/c does not work either but not sure if it will if I replace the converter, I pray it does. Yellowskeeter, how did you go through to get everything back in order? I am currently looking at several electricians, but now I am kinda on edge to hire anybody. Any other advice would be great! God bless.

#13 ·
The furnace works on 12 volts (fan) and propane. A/C receives 12/24 volt commands from thermostat in order to work. Your 12 volt converter has to work for these 2 things to function. All lights in the RV are 12 volt also. Converter is easy to replace and can be ordered from Amazon. ~$150-$200.

#15 ·
Your 12 volt stuff will work without the converter as long as your battery is good. Have you checked to see if your battery is OK? I would start there. If it is showing 12+ volts then you may have more trouble. The converter only kicks on when the battery needs a boost or charge.
If your ac is a roof mount without a thermostat, then, it runs on 120 v only.
Your Fridge may still work on LPG, have you tried that? Again, need 12 volts for this to happen.

#17 ·
That electrician is not the first or last to do that. It's all in the way the legs are wired in the outlet.
I would give that "electrician" the opportunity to help get it right.
A new RV propane/110v refrigerator will be expensive. Get a good diagnosis on it before you junk it. You may consider just getting a 110volt residential unit if you are using the trailer to live in for a job. Check your total load or wire a new circuit. Roof A/C will be around $1000 each if they are toast.

#20 ·
Really need to have a professional that knows the wiring and systems of the RV Trade look over everything. We do this in house, but unlike our boat services we currently don't offer off premise RV repairs. I will let you know that if you have full coverage insurance It would be covered! We have seen some things you wouldn't believe lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.