2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

What factor do you rely on most

4K views 32 replies 31 participants last post by  Brian Castille 
#1 ·
So there are so many factors that affect inshore fishing. Some of them are tides, wind direction and speed, amount of cloud cover, temperature...both air and water, solunar table, water clarity, and list goes on and on.

My question is, what single factor do you count on the most to determine if it's going to be good day/time to fish?

Thanks.

#30 ·
I am fortunate to live right on the water and can go fishing at a moments notice. I look at all the usual variables, wind, tide, water quality and make a snap decision. I consider things that will make me not go fishing rather than things that make me choose to go. W or SW winds are usually a deal killer for me in West G bay and extreme low tides. I have tried studying all the detail info and choosing the perfect time to go fish, find good water quality and movement, find bait and still get skunked. My point is, just go. Just like Sgrem said, meet me at the dock and lets figure it out.

#31 ·
Me being at the beach is the biggest factor. If I'm here, I'm fishing. If I'm not, I'm not.

All seriousness aside, I really just use the factors to help decide *where to fish (bay vs. surf vs. pass or cut) not *if I should fish. Wind and tide matter most to me. If I can't cast because the wind is blowing right in my face or I have trouble keeping the poles up, I move to the back side. If the tide is slack, I move to the surf.

I've caught fish in every condition using every kind of bait. Sure, some conditions lend themselves to more productive fishing than other conditions, but not living here means I'm fishing regardless of conditions. The real trick, for me, is timing my trip.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

#33 ·
About 8 years ago, I had a family friend that wanted to go fishing. I said the tides looked bad for saltwater so we planned on bass fishing in a local pond. I had another friend call and talked me into going to saltwater so the three of us went. I wasn't too optimistic but 30 trout in the cooler in about 90 minutes changed my thought on it -how many times had I stayed home in the past due to the tide charts? Now, I just go when it looks "tolerable" out there. I don't go for the sake of going and if it looks like storms, high winds, etc then I'll stay home. You figure guides fish on full moon days, weak tide days, high pressure days, etc and they don't cancel. I've had plenty of good days on days that were supposed to be bad according to the tide charts. About the only time I'll base a trip on tides is at the jetties for big fish - if the tide isn't moving, I'm not going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.