2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

When is the time to change bow string

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  2Ws 
#1 ·
Just would like to know for cross bow and compound bow. Do you change it every year or two? Thanks.

#2 ·
I just add string wax and have a bow tech give it look each year to check for any integrity issues. Same string on my bow that I bought 5-6 years ago. I wouldn't leave it sitting in the trunk of a car over the summer or anything like that. Mine is hung on a hook from the garage ceiling in it's case.

#8 ·
One thing to consider before using high friction to wax is to wipe the strings and cables with a paper towel or soft cloth. The wax tends to collect dust and dirt and can be abrasive. I shoot almost daily either one of two PSE's or a Mission 2.0. The quality of the strings on those bows is excellent and after several thousand shots they show little or no wear. I wax when it looks necessary and use string wax and the friction heat I can generate with my fingers. As mentioned don't stow your bow in high heat/direct sunlight, and I would stay away from hair dryers and heat guns. Make it part of your routine to inspect your bow before beginning a shoot.

#11 ·
Depends on how much you put your bow to work. If you shoot it daily or perhaps weekly I would recommend changing them each year. If you have old strings you may be surprised what new ones can do. Over the years of the strings being stretched you will loose draw weight and arrow speed. New strings can make an old bow new again. Make sure you get the highest quality strings you can, keep in mind a lot of people make strings, make sure they know what they are doing before you go with them.

#13 ·
“Can't speak on the newer bows with the limb design BUT long stringing a bow INCREASES poundage and arrow speed. Short stringing will cause the opposite..the new bow strings today don't stretch like the old ones did.”

Please explain^.
Yes longer draw length will increase speed, but longer length on a shorter cam will not as the limbs will be under less of a load.

#14 ·
Years back I know folks who would buy a 80lb bow that was 1-2" short then long string it and end up with a 90lb bow. This was about the time cams were starting to show up on bows, the bows most used for this was the Bear Whitetail and the Whitetail 2. With cams long or short stringing would lead to timing issues with a bow. You seldom hear of string stretching with todays strings, years back I would go thru 2-3 strings a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.