2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Electric smokers?

936 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  texas john 
#1 ·
I've been w/out a smoker for about a year and a half. When we moved, I left my old New Braunsfel smoker at our old house as it was in pretty bad shape. I'm now in the market for a new smoker. My question to everyone is - - does anyone use an electric smoker? I see these at Academy and there's a really sweet one at Sam's Club. It seems like it would sure be easy to not have to worry about maintaining a fire, buying wood, keeping a constant temp, clean-up, and storage that goes along w/ the old type w/ a firepit on the side. Any input from anyone that uses the electric type? I guess you just soak some woodchips in a pan and turn the thing on and forget about it?

Thanks,

TW

#2 ·
Your gonna have to give up your man card if you go with an electric smoker!
You aint a true Texan if you dont start a raging fire and plumes of smoke big enough to make the fire department know you on a first name basis every time you smoke a brisket.
now if your smoking salmon or a ham go right head and go electric, shucks you might as well do it in the oven with some liquid smoke.

But seriously, if you do not have the room or dont want to mess a offset firebox conventional smoker I had some great Q off some electric smokers

#3 ·
electric smoker

i was a huge skeptic at first, as i always used my big wood smoker. about 2 yrs ago i bought a smokin tex and have really been pleased. this thing only requires about 3oz of your wood of choice. i just put ie. a pork butt in there and forget about it (i do use a digital thermometer that i can monitor core meat temp) however you will not get that legendary smoke ring you see when you do a brisket, etc. i have cooked just about everything in there, beer can chicken, ribs, brisket...but i still have to go back to basics with the wood burner every once in while.

#5 ·
They do a good job and are much easier than maintaining a fire although I still prefer my Klose for better smoked flavor. Watch the lid - some models have a domed lid that slips over the body and I always had trouble with condensation on the dome running down and dripping out of the smoker. Makes a real mess. Other models have a flat lid that seals and actually routes the drippings to the middle and onto the meat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.