2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Fishing in Maui October

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  habanerojooz 
#1 ·
I will be in Maui the first week of October. Any charter recommendations?
Thanks!

#2 ·
The fishing in Hawaii sucks. Especially out of Maui.... it will be an expensive boat ride. Spend your time and money doing something else in that awesome place.

Although the island is very interesting to see from a boat dont expect a great fishing adventure.

The fishing in Kona can be good and is the best opportunity in all of Hawaii....although out of Freeport is just as good. The Humdinger out of Kona is as good as it gets...

#4 ·
I’ve “ heard “ Maui can be tough , but don’t throw all of Hawaii under the bus - Kauai May to October (early August is my time there ) is a good fishing time . Have fished there for almost 20 years now - 9 blues, 3 spearfish ,1 strippy, 8 or so Ahi over 200lbs. Plus mahi, and ono regularly- Fish gods shine it seems

#5 ·
Fished Kona this week 2 days. 4 blues 150,200,250 and 500. 2 short billed spearfish and several wahoo. Fished with Neil Isaacs who has been here since 1985 came from SPI. Interesting conversation about prevailing winds, tallest mountains on largest island and two eddy currents on west side off Big island producing conditions not seen elsewhere in Hawaii.Acording to his records most years 3000 billfish are caught off Kona.

#7 ·
I almost fished Maui about 5 years ago. Was turned off to fact that boats keep anything you catch and sell them to fish markets. You may be able to buy the fish you caught and paid for after trip is over. It is interesting to go to boats and watch the street auction of fish when they get back to port. Mostly wahoo and mahi caught when we were there.-Mike

#8 ·
If your hell bent on fishing Maui go on a FAD boat, at least you will catch some Mahi.

Kona is the only place now days for "Good" Bill fishing.

The Save a Whale foundation is stationed in Lahaina and that is where the fleet goes out of. Need less to say every piece of bait holding debris found floating between Maui and Molokai is pulled out of the water daily!!

No Bait no Bill Fish!!!

I framed my 1200.00 receipt from my only foolish Maui fishing trip and the Wife and I go just about every other year!!!

John

#9 ·
If your hell bent on fishing Maui go on a FAD boat, at least you will catch some Mahi.

Kona is the only place now days for "Good" Bill fishing.

The Save a Whale foundation is stationed in Lahaina and that is where the fleet goes out of. Need less to say every piece of bait holding debris found floating between Maui and Molokai is pulled out of the water daily!!

No Bait no Bill Fish!!!

I framed my 1200.00 receipt from my only foolish Maui fishing trip and the Wife and I go just about every other year!!!

John
Framed your receipt. LOL. I do my best to forget about that long and painful day. Burned a whole day and could have done something else and saved a wad of cash. We trolled around several of the FADs and saw nothing. Kind of grit my teeth when I think about what a waste of money (and time) that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I can keep you busy and having a blast on Maui for 3 months straight and the only boat you will be on is a snorkel trip to Molokini.

Hey have fun and post up what you catch.

John

#15 ·
Go to Leilani's on the beach in Ka'anapali Whaler's Village for happy hour (3:30-5:00; $5 Mai Tai's & beers). Sit at the bar near the entrance and ask for Johnnie the bartender & tell him "Horse" sent you. Johnnie works for UFO adventures and is a deck hand when he's not working the bar. He can get you a better fishing price than you'd get calling UFO direct, and will likely be working your boat. Take as early a boat as you can get before the winds and surf chop up, hope the under water currents aren't too strong, and be ready for some deep water jigging.

#17 ·
So Cherokee180,

Tell us all about the Fishing on Maui!!

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.