the importance of polarized lenses for navigating safely - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

ccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunner
the importance of polarized lenses for navigating safely

I see people ask about buying a boat to run shallow water all the time...

I never see people talking about how important polarized lenses are if you are out running the bays.

We were fishing Sunday morning and in a new area, as the morning heated up a but we decided to try a new area, I hadn't put my glasses on yet and ran up on a sandbar.. luckily were weren't going fast, were able to get out and push the boat off.

I realized i didn't have my glasses on and sure enough, clear as day!

I took them on and off a few times later during the day when we were moving and they truly are amazing for being able to see the differences in water depth and conditions. I always were them and never take them off...

Kind of forgot how important they are and thought it would be worth sharing as I have never really seen it discussed. I think a lot of seasoned guys just assume everyone knows that.

FWIW, I use the green lenses Costa plastics
ccoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Bayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to Pirate
Most of the boaters I know have just become accustomed to wearing them and it is second nature. It just never occurs to most to talk about it.

Cliff
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
We talk about it.. then we quit talking about it.. and then that happens.

Sorry to hear you grounded.. glad you weren't going fast.

Yes, wear your glasses and know where you're running. I'm assuming the bay was glass, because you could also avoid calm water that's super shallow if there was a little wind.

good luck, be safe
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

ccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunner
oh, we were idling into an area, I don't run hot into unknown territory that is suspect.

water was about 18" deep, about what my boat needs to float, it will run in a foot.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
ktdtx
Registered Users-pm+

ktdtx has been promoted to Piratektdtx has been promoted to Piratektdtx has been promoted to Piratektdtx has been promoted to Piratektdtx has been promoted to Piratektdtx has been promoted to Piratektdtx has been promoted to Piratektdtx has been promoted to Piratektdtx has been promoted to Piratektdtx has been promoted to Piratektdtx has been promoted to Pirate
The only problem with polarized lenses on the water is it makes it difficult to see the GPS and depth.
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
I never wear sunglasses.. Wish I could, but prescription glasses get in the way. I had a pair of 580G green Costas, but couldn't ever wear them when I got glasses!

If anyone wants to give me $700-$800 for a pair of prescription Costa's I'll do it, but until then, I'll be sunglassless lol
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
I never wear sunglasses.. Wish I could, but prescription glasses get in the way. I had a pair of 580G green Costas, but couldn't ever wear them when I got glasses!

If anyone wants to give me $700-$800 for a pair of prescription Costa's I'll do it, but until then, I'll be sunglassless lol
Contacts would be the better way to go...
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
Contacts would be the better way to go...
I had a contacts for a while and just gave up on them. I like waking up, throwing glasses on, and walking out the door.
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
The only problem with polarized lenses on the water is it makes it difficult to see the GPS and depth.

We have a basic GPS/depth finder that came with the boat
I don't have a problem with it or my last one

depth finder transducer is at the back of the boat.. too late in my experience in shallow water
Old 09-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post

i wear prescription sunglasses. Got the Raybans frames for approx $100.00(amazon at my house in 1 to 2 days), lenses were $2??.00 at walmart and made by Nikon. couldn't imagine fishing without, you need to change this.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message