Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
Sjones145
Registered Users-pm+

Sjones145 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
New boat owner advice

Hi
My husband and I recently bought a BW 190 Montauk. We’ve taken it out only a couple of times in Clear Lake & Taylor lake as practice. Last weekend , we fished with our 12y old son for a bit. Our next step is to venture out to the Galveston jetties but I want to make sure I plan correctly to ensue a fun and safe outing. Hope you don’t mind my posting a few questions:

1) what tide / wave forecast should we look for?
2) best place for public boat launch
3) recommended place to navigate to on 1st outing to fish (and also what to watch out for as to not bother experienced boat owners)
4) type of anchor and rope or chain
5) OR, is there another area to go to to get more practice (cruising, anchoring)

Any other general advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Sjones145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
Fishing time
Registered Users-pm+

Fishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to PirateFishing time has been promoted to Pirate
You may want to get an experienced boat owner to go over each of these items with you personally. I would also suggest you have them go with you on your first couple of trips. Great that you are posting! Many unexpected issues may arise for new boat owners. Be Safe and have fun!
Fishing time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing time View Post
You may want to get an experienced boat owner to go over each of these items with you personally. I would also suggest you have them go with you on your first couple of trips. Great that you are posting! Many unexpected issues may arise for new boat owners. Be Safe and have fun!

Excellent advice, there are some things fishing and boating related that are best learned monkey see monkey do, that simple.
Just going with someone with good boating experience one time will answer a lot of questions without asking and give you the opportunity to ask those you need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
marlin lane
Registered Users-pm+

marlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Riggermarlin lane has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
great advice above=be safe
marlin lane is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
If you are a new boat owner I wouldn't recommend the jetties too soon. Maybe launch at Sylvan Beach and fish that shoreline. Clear Lake has a lot of boat traffic. Hopefully you have a GPS so you will know where the Houston ship channel is and navigation hazards to avoid. It's a steep learning curve.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
I wouldn't go the jetties new to boating. Things can go south quick
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #7
Sjones145
Registered Users-pm+

Sjones145 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thanks everyone... will not go out to jetties yet.. also will heed your advice and have someone experienced shoe us around more. We can get in touch with the captain at Marine max to help. We are enjoying the boat but want to be safe.
Sjones145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #8
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Can hire a guide for a half day jetty trip and get him to tell you what and why they are doing what they are doing. What to expect. How to target the species and what the conditions do to the jetties. How to handle the boat and react to conditions.

I recomend me but there are many that can educate for such a trip.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
LouietheDrifter
Registered Users-pm+

LouietheDrifter has been promoted to PirateLouietheDrifter has been promoted to PirateLouietheDrifter has been promoted to PirateLouietheDrifter has been promoted to PirateLouietheDrifter has been promoted to PirateLouietheDrifter has been promoted to PirateLouietheDrifter has been promoted to PirateLouietheDrifter has been promoted to PirateLouietheDrifter has been promoted to PirateLouietheDrifter has been promoted to PirateLouietheDrifter has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Can hire a guide for a half day jetty trip and get him to tell you what and why they are doing what they are doing. What to expect. How to target the species and what the conditions do to the jetties. How to handle the boat and react to conditions.

I recomend me but there are many that can educate for such a trip.
^^this
LouietheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #10
Brian Castille
Texas Aggie Fisherman

Brian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to Pirate
At the jetties, there are plenty of times where the wind is blowing one way and the tide is blowing the other. That means anchoring with stern into the waves - can get dicey. For tides, the water does not always stop moving when the predictions say it will. Low tide at the jetties can be 8am. Low tide further up in the bay could be 4 hours later. If the tide is falling somewhere up in the bay, the water has to go somewhere. I've been out there where low tide at the jetties is 8am and water is screaming out of the bay until noon. One of our boats is a 17 Montauk - you have a great boat. We have taken ours out in the gulf plenty of times. Like mentioned above, hire a guide to go out there to learn things before trying on your own.
Brian Castille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message