Slx dc? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
bmc4041
Registered Users-pm+

bmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Pirate
Slx dc?

Just hoping someone who has been using one can give opinions.

Thinking about getting one for my wife. She has always thrown a baitcaster but
her RA and Lupus has been slowly diminishing her reflexes. She struggles getting distance and gets more backlashes than she used to. I’m hoping this will let her throw harder without the worry of the fine motor skills needed to prevent a backlash.

Holding up to saltwater use?

Worth extra money for Curado DC?

I’m just hesitant to spend money on a Shimano. The Curado I was the last straw for me kicking them to the curb. I have all Concept and Lew’s now.

......and I’ve tried to get her to use a spinning reel. She is stubborn and basically said those are for kids and people who can’t throw baitcaster. I even have a Stradic I use for specific situations. She refuses to use it. It’s a mental thing of wanting to give in to her body she feels is betraying her.
bmc4041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
Halffast61
Registered Users-pm+

Halffast61 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Halffast61 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Halffast61 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Halffast61 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Halffast61 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Halffast61 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Halffast61 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Halffast61 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Halffast61 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Halffast61 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Halffast61 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
I have the Curado DC, but I haven't seen an SLX DC. My reel repair guy steered me away from the regular SLX as he said the frames will warp if left in a hot garage.

I do love the Curado DC. I use it mostly for casting light baits into the wind. I put the cast control on 3 into the wind and on 2 if throwing with the wind. I do still have to thumb the spool right before the bait hits the water or I get a little overrun. I'm sure if I tightened the spool a little more, that might not be the case but I want all the distance I can get. One thing to be aware of is the DC's do make a whining noise when you cast them. Not a big deal, but it is different. Overall, it is a great reel and may be just what you're looking for.

Hope this helps.
Halffast61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
bmc4041
Registered Users-pm+

bmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Pirate
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
I thought I replied, but I have a Curado DC, search on here for a long report from me.

I've since fished the surf 3 times since then and used it every time. When fishing the car bodies, I can always hit the boats parked at the point with a 3/8 jig head set to a 2.

I would think its perfect for what you want it for and if you are tempted, you can add 5 bearings to it to make it a little smoother (although 4 are on the knobs).
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
If you're prepared to spend Shimano money, I'd recommend a Lew's Lite. The braking system on that thing is so good, I don't even worry about thumbing the reel on a cast. Even if I turn to cast into the wind, I just crank down a couple of clicks and it casts without birdnesting. I have fished with Shimano products since the early 90s, 2 Calcuttas, 4 Chronarchs, a Curado and a Metanium. None of them have as user friendly of a braking system as that Lew's, plus the spool tensioner (on the right side of the reel) has clicks on it, so that is a lot easier to gauge your adjustments as well.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
bmc4041
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedA1691 View Post
If you're prepared to spend Shimano money, I'd recommend a Lew's Lite.

I have 5. Lol
Old 09-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drundel View Post
I thought I replied, but I have a Curado DC, search on here for a long report from me.

I've since fished the surf 3 times since then and used it every time. When fishing the car bodies, I can ALMOST hit the boats parked at the point with a 3/8 jig head set to a 2.

I would think its perfect for what you want it for and if you are tempted, you can add 5 bearings to it to make it a little smoother (although 4 are on the knobs).
That should be almost, not always.
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #8
theyallbreak
Registered Users-pm+

theyallbreak has been promoted to Piratetheyallbreak has been promoted to Piratetheyallbreak has been promoted to Piratetheyallbreak has been promoted to Piratetheyallbreak has been promoted to Piratetheyallbreak has been promoted to Piratetheyallbreak has been promoted to Piratetheyallbreak has been promoted to Piratetheyallbreak has been promoted to Piratetheyallbreak has been promoted to Piratetheyallbreak has been promoted to Pirate
My slx dc has been used 5 times by guest on my boat only time will tell if it will hold up like my curado DC is
theyallbreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message