Flounder gigging question - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #11
SeaIsleDweller
Registered Users-pm+

SeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to Pirate
I just use a streamlight stinger led flashlight similar to the once posted above and a good friend of mine uses the LED cordless milwaukee/dewalt LED work lights .... works great in knee deep water. I have never gigged from a boat or used one of the expensive underwater lights but I'm sure they have better beam spread than a flash light if you just want to spend money. Like someone said above I learned to gig walking in the water with a Coleman lantern with my old man.
SeaIsleDweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
Ethan Hunt
Registered Users-pm+

Ethan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
So yall are using just a spotlight.? The one he was using last night was like a metal detector but had a light on the end. He actually ran it underwater

i thought about getting a fancier, brighter Jerry's LED light folks are talking about. But keep in mind, with that, you also have to carry a 12v battery with you while gigging with wire attached between the battery and the gig handle/pole. It's a little inconvenience, but there are also alternatives that runs on AA size batteries but you'll get only 1000 to 1500 lumen.
Ethan Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #13
capt2016
Registered Users-pm+

capt2016 has been promoted to Piratecapt2016 has been promoted to Piratecapt2016 has been promoted to Piratecapt2016 has been promoted to Piratecapt2016 has been promoted to Piratecapt2016 has been promoted to Piratecapt2016 has been promoted to Piratecapt2016 has been promoted to Piratecapt2016 has been promoted to Piratecapt2016 has been promoted to Piratecapt2016 has been promoted to Pirate
Jerry’s hands down 40watt warm yellow
capt2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #14
Bullitt4439
Registered Users-pm+

Bullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Hunt View Post
wish they come in headlamp style so you dont have to hold it all the time or accidentally drop it in the water.

where ya usually gig at ? west bay? slp?
They are waterproof and have a lanyard to put on your wrist but yea sometime it gets old.

Yea west bay- cold pass area!
Bullitt4439 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Just go thru the SmackDaddy thread on building a light. All the information is there. You definitely want an underwater light. Flashlights above the surface will work to get you started but you're fighting a lot of glare. Much more enjoyable with an underwater light.

https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbfor...d.php?t=410882

Last edited by troutsupport; 09-06-2019 at 08:46 AM.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #16
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Hunt View Post
i thought about getting a fancier, brighter Jerry's LED light folks are talking about. But keep in mind, with that, you also have to carry a 12v battery with you while gigging with wire attached between the battery and the gig handle/pole. It's a little inconvenience, but there are also alternatives that runs on AA size batteries but you'll get only 1000 to 1500 lumen.
A small, half-brick sized battery in a fanny pack. Couldn't be much more convenient, and you just about can't feel the weight. It will run for more hours than you're likely going to want to flounder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaIsleDweller View Post
I just use a streamlight stinger led flashlight similar to the once posted above and a good friend of mine uses the LED cordless milwaukee/dewalt LED work lights .... works great in knee deep water. I have never gigged from a boat or used one of the expensive underwater lights but I'm sure they have better beam spread than a flash light if you just want to spend money. Like someone said above I learned to gig walking in the water with a Coleman lantern with my old man.

Most people are aware that when you use an above-water light, a LOT of the light gets reflected off the surface of the water. That causes glare, but the worst part to me is just the loss of light down where you need it.

What a lot of people don't think about is that when you use an underwater light, the bottom surface of the water reflects as well. Two lights with the same lumen output - one underwater and one above water. The underwater light will give you a lot more illumination down where it counts.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #17
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Got the gig! Fellow 2cooler brought me one built homemade! Thanks man.

Now I just gotta look at those Jerry lights
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #18
SeaIsleDweller
Registered Users-pm+

SeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocjetty View Post
A small, half-brick sized battery in a fanny pack. Couldn't be much more convenient, and you just about can't feel the weight. It will run for more hours than you're likely going to want to flounder.

Most people are aware that when you use an above-water light, a LOT of the light gets reflected off the surface of the water. That causes glare, but the worst part to me is just the loss of light down where you need it.

What a lot of people don't think about is that when you use an underwater light, the bottom surface of the water reflects as well. Two lights with the same lumen output - one underwater and one above water. The underwater light will give you a lot more illumination down where it counts.

All good points, I will look into getting one of the underwater type lights next time I get the opportunity to go gigging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SeaIsleDweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #19
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
Batteries Plus stores carry small sealed 12v batteries. They have a couple of different sizes to choose from. I bought some there for my kayak depth finder. I recharged them overnight on a cheap 1.5trickle charger.

Pocjetty nailed it. You’ll have power all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message