Jacks in Rockport/Port A - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2019, 08:40 AM   #1
Bruce J
Registered Users-pm+

Bruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to Pirate
Jacks in Rockport/Port A

My boys and I are some of the few on the coast who actually like to catch jacks. We used to do it with good success out of POC where we could usually find some big schools. But we have a house now in Rockport and never find them feeding actively like in POC. We fish anywhere from the tips of the jetties, Lydia Ann, and all the way up into Aransas Bay. The only one I’ve hooked was blind casting for trout (of course) way up north off Long Reef.

They must be here in good numbers, and with jacks being jacks, they have to be tearing it up somewhere. Any ideas what I could do to find them a bit more often?
Bruce J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
Aggieangler
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)

Aggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to Pirate
We always found them under the birds in Aransas bay in the summer. Usually jacks or slimers there. Hardly ever trout.
Aggieangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
Bruce J
Registered Users-pm+

Bruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to Pirate
Maybe it’s just really poor timing or bad luck on my part, but I rarely see birds working in the bay anymore. When we first started spending time here about 10 years ago, it was common to find several flocks of birds working in Lydia Ann and Aransas Bay. I usually caught ladyfish and Spanish macs under them, when the dolphin didn’t get them first. I. The past few years haven’t seen a single group of birds in my last dozen trips or so. That’s hardly a scientific study, but it’s just what I’ve seen - or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
Prizepig
>*)))><

Prizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to Pirate
We got into a school of them under the birds a few weeks ago just off Mud Island in Aransas Bay. First cast with a Mirrolure into them resulted in a hookup and a short fight until it broke the eye right off the lure. Chased them a couple more times with no success. It was a fun little change of pace when the heat was beating down on us and after our morning bite had slowed.
Prizepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
Bruce J
Registered Users-pm+

We always carry a couple of medium heavy spinning rigs with large top water plugs. With that tackle and in the relatively shallow waters of the bay, it’s a more manageable fight and better for the fish and fisherman. Of course if we’re also casting around for trout or reds on light tackle, the jack will always take that one!
Old 09-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
reelthreat
Do you know who I think I am???

reelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Piratereelthreat has been promoted to Pirate
I see them around Mud Island and in Corpus Bay near East Flats.
reelthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message