Rockport Oct. - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #21
EIGHTSKATE
Registered Users-pm+

EIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to Pirate
Reason I asked Bayfront there is a bait stand across the street from where you are staying it is Beacon Bait so walking distance for fishing from pier. My only other question would be if pier is lighted I don't always pay attention to such but I am thinking it may not be yet
I know O Conners is because it has gaudy blue leds running the whole length but don't recall Bayfronts being lighted may want to call and ask.
EIGHTSKATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #22
Blutarsky
Registered Users-pm+

Blutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2310Ranger View Post
Thank you for that info. The careful comment being because of the draft of my rig I assume?
Correct. If we have high October tides you can probably run much of the flats, but with lower tides you will have to stick to the channels. Lots of shallow water and seagrass in the area.
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #23
2310Ranger
Registered Users-pm+

2310Ranger is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Slimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
Correct. If we have high October tides you can probably run much of the flats, but with lower tides you will have to stick to the channels. Lots of shallow water and seagrass in the area.

thank you again...Looks like a guide for at least a day would be the smart thing to do.
2310Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #24
EastTexasRancher
Registered Users-pm+

EastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to Pirate
Yes, be aware of the seagrass. There's not much of the flats I cannot run, i.e. draft, but I worry about the seagrass. So, i stick to the deeper areas on the bay side of the islands. lots of fish there. And, fishing the cuts at tide change can be fun.
EastTexasRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #25
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2310Ranger View Post
thank you again...Looks like a guide for at least a day would be the smart thing to do.
Probably not a bad idea. You can usually go back and fish some of their areas after your trip with them. Just be courteous if they show up / also if you see them don't crowd them on your days after the trip, but you don't seem like the type of person that would do that anyway.

it's not bass fishing, don't get caught just fishing areas or spots. I was a bass fishing transplant and it's hard to get away from that. You certainly want to be in the right general area but you have to hunt the fish.

Feel free to email me if you like, same goes for anyone...
[email protected]
Old 09-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #26
2310Ranger
Registered Users-pm+

2310Ranger is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post
Probably not a bad idea. You can usually go back and fish some of their areas after your trip with them. Just be courteous if they show up / also if you see them don't crowd them on your days after the trip, but you don't seem like the type of person that would do that anyway.

it's not bass fishing, don't get caught just fishing areas or spots. I was a bass fishing transplant and it's hard to get away from that. You certainly want to be in the right general area but you have to hunt the fish.

Feel free to email me if you like, same goes for anyone...
[email protected]

Yep...I'm a salt newb but an old freshwater salt...lol...I'm not a bent rod potlicker. I wouldn't return to the guides water without his/her permission. My use of a guide would be mostly help to get around safely for the additional couple days I have to fish.
2310Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #27
bmc4041
Registered Users-pm+

bmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Pirate
Rockport Oct.

Ramps I have used. Arrows on map - listed north to South.

Goose island state park. Pay TPWD day fee of $5ish. No bait camp. Best if want to fish north part of Aransas Bay, Carlos Bay, Spaulding area. Lots of reefs in this area, even just leaving ramp, so know where your going, go slow, or go with a guide.

Rockport beach park - think it’s $5-10 or around $20 for year pass. No bait. If the winds are up, going to a bumpy ride but if not it is a wide open run to cut across to fish San Jose Island down to mud island.

Cove harbor - right off the intracoastal before it opens up into Aransas Bay. Bait shop and the Paradise Key restaurant/bar is pretty good. It’s protected and can run up down the protected intracoastal all the way down to Port A jetties if you want. Or can go north and shoot out to Aransas Bay.

I’m not close to an expert but make a few trips a year down there. I have found most of Aransas Bay is plenty deep, wide open, or well marked on your GPS unit. It’s once you get north of Paul Motts that you have to be more careful. Long reef runs northwest from Paul Motts and other reefs keep extending in that direction (marked with red on map)

If you go with a guide, just let him know you want to learn to navigate the area. Some will go in your boat. Some will even let you swap out your GPS unit for theirs that day if it’s the same brand. Also can download the Navionics map on your phone to record tracks. Not sure if you can transfer it to your unit though. As long as you are up front, most will go above and beyond to help you. You might even find one willing to run around with you for a couple hours for some cash in the afternoon/evening after they finish their charter.

bmc4041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 12:38 PM   #28
EIGHTSKATE
Registered Users-pm+

EIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to PirateEIGHTSKATE has been promoted to Pirate
All good information given. I use the Copano ramp at the south end of the causeway if I intend to fish North end of Aransas but if I am fishing south I go to Conn Brown at Aransas pass rather than Cove Harbor its only a 10 minute haul. Cove can have a lot of boats and if its blowing and you head north your out in Aransas and it can be pretty western.
By putting in at Conn Brown you can take a left and run up to Estes but you need to know your way. Take a right and you can fish Ransom or Dagger and they are a little more protected or go straight ahead toward Port Aransas to fish Lydia Ann channel and go to San Jose Island little longer route but places to try along the way but fairly easy to navigate.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #29
Aggieangler
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)

Aggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to Pirate
Does Palm Harbor marina serve food on the water anymore? They used to have decent burgers for a quick bite mid-day while fishing Estes.
Aggieangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #30
EIGHTSKATE
Registered Users-pm+

The Building at Palm Harbor is gone only a slab left there and the ramp has been closed for a very long time.
The whole thing looks to be a trailer park.