Rockport Oct. - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
Ryan H.
Registered Users-pm+

Ryan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to Pirate
Thumbs up Rockport Oct.

Alright guys,

My experience inshore has been limited. I used to do offshore stuff tie up to rigs, chum and drop baits or jig, but had to sell my boat. I've taken a few charters and buddy trips inshore, and I love it. Reminds me of bass fishing around here, So I bought a bay boat and am making my first trip down the weekend of OCt. 12th. Lunar and tide times say its' a good weekend.

Any spots you like to stay, any bait camps you like and trust, any tips or info for a new guy? It will be me and my 15 year old son and his buddy so quantity of fish is probably more important than quality. I'd like to put several fish in the boat each day.

We prefer to fish inshore with artificial, popping corks, and drift looking for structure, potholes, current changes and ambush spots, happy to catch reds, trout, flounder, sail cats, black drum, hell anything that will pull on a hook.

My son's friend has NEVER fished saltwater and we want him to have a great time.

Where would y'all stay, launch, fish?
Ryan H. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
Blutarsky
Registered Users-pm+

Blutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
There are a bunch of VRBO/Air B&B places in Rockport to check out (large and small), and at least the La Quinta (and maybe a few other motels but not sure) is open. Depending on the wind, you should be able to drift the southern points of Mud Island or Allen's Bight and get some action. Possible along Trailer Island as well. Access to this area is best using the Cove Harbor boat ramps just south of Rockport. You can stay and launch at Goose Island just north of Rockport to access the areas to the north. Just study the maps carefully b/c navigation is more tricky in this area due to oyster reefs.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TexasFishnTips?app=desktop
Here is a youtube site that provides decent weekly fishing reports for our area.
If the weather cooperates and depending on your boat, the surf could still be good at that time as well.
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Great fishing that time of year in RP, unless a strong North wind is pumping. I prefer fishing to the East, using Goose Island to launch. A good GPS, or following another boat out into Aransas Bay the first time is a good idea there. Lots and lots of shell in Carlos, Mesquite, and Ayers Bay to drift, and you will catch reds and trout. Tons of baitstands, tons of places to stay, and tons of places to eat. I plan on doing alot of Oct fishing down there this year.
SSST is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
EastTexasRancher
Registered Users-pm+

EastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to Pirate
drifter's resort is a great place to stay. it's an RV park, but has some smaller cabins that are very nice. if you are pulling a boat, they have drive through cabins so you don't have to do a three point back-in. they're super clean cabins, new, and go for about $100 a night.

usual tactics: look for bait, moving tides, pinch points. free-
lining shrimp while wading is awesome....
EastTexasRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Ryan, for October i'd focus on Nueces and Copano. Fish the reefs,.. popping cork and shrimp will get you and the boys plenty of action. Small topwaters, plastic under a click cork will also work fine.

If you really want to learn and teach the boys what to look for a lot of guys have increased their catch ratio tremendously using our instructional videos. It's not so much what you throw as finding the fish overall. Sounds like you have some good knowledge already.. the dvds get into specifics of what to look for and what to avoid. Just do a search here on 2cool for troutsupport testimonial or anything like that. There's numerous testimonials on several different boards not just 2cool..
Old 09-01-2019, 12:53 AM   #6
Ryan H.
Registered Users-pm+

Ryan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to PirateRyan H. has been promoted to Pirate
All great advice guys, thanks. Trout Support, I'll check out the DVD's I love a good fishing show anyway
Old 09-01-2019, 05:43 AM   #7
That Robbie Guy
Registered Users-pm+

That Robbie Guy has disabled reputation
I'll be in Rockport in two weeks... I can't wait.
That Robbie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
We vacationed in Rockport many years. VRBO gives you many choices. We stayed in City by the Sea and Bahia Bay many times. Those houses are on canals so you can dock your boat at the house. Easy access to Estes flats, Redfish Bay and many other places.

You can generally pick up some fish with live shrimp drifting the flats.

Another place we would stay was a cut where Copano Bay came into Salt Lake. I don’t know how the hurricane affected that place, but the website is still up. Go to rockportrentals.com. There are 2 places on Perch St. we have stayed in both places, but the double wide has the best night fishing under the lights that I have ever seen. There must be a hole there, but to watch the fish in the green lights is worth the price of admission, or at least it was. You can also dock your boat there and have access to Copano and your not to far from the Goose Island area.

October was our favorite month. Enjoy yourself.
WillieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2019, 12:27 AM   #9
Ryan H.
Registered Users-pm+

VRBO? having a spot to night fish for the boys would be great
Old 09-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Ryan H.
Registered Users-pm+

Ok guys, going to stay at Bayside Cabins on Fulton street. Has a big fishing pier for the boys to night fish from. Anyone know the best ramps and bait places in the area?