Mounting GPS on boat - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Mounting GPS on boat

Helping a buddy mount a Garmin 64sv on an aluminum he recent bought.. we were going to mount the screen where the old fish finder is in the picture, but then I realized if we mount it there that the unit will think it's going sideways on the GPS. Which brings me to my question, is there a heading off set option on these units where he could mount it this way, but the GPS still show an upward heading?
Attached Images

dk2429 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
grman
Registered Users-pm+

grman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirate
I think you are asking about top of the screen setting on the navigation charts. You have 2 options -
North always at the top
Direction of travel always at top

As for split screen options - you have about 1/2 dozen to choose from. You can assign any function to any screen I believe. I.e. you can have multiple sonars showing with each sonar window using different options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
dk2429

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
No sir.

What I'm saying is, if the unit is facing side ways on the boat, the heading sensor will think the boat is going sideways
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Its the orientation. It will always be confusing i think based on the display. Call Garmin and see if they have a setting change.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I misunderstood your dilemna..... i thought you were mounting screen sideways on its side.

Just put course up as said before. As long as the top of the unit is up and not mounted on its side. But you can mount it facing front, back, sideways in, sideways out, backwards whatever and it will track the movement as you are used to seeing. It doesnt know it is mounted sideways.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #6
Blank Czech
Registered Users-pm+

Blank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to Pirate
What sgrem said. It won't think it's sideways
Blank Czech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Get a Ram Mount and position the top of screen toward front of boat. That's the only way this will work. That way he can have the unit on the side like that out of the way and the screen orientation will make sense. Like other have said it won't display correctly sideways. It will still show the boat moving correctly up the line of travel tho where he chooses north up or heading up is up to him.

Last edited by troutsupport; 08-26-2019 at 09:05 AM.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
No sir.

What I'm saying is, if the unit is facing side ways on the boat, the heading sensor will think the boat is going sideways
No it won't. The direction the unit faces makes no difference. It will show your movement in relation to the map.

You have two choices that I know of, north up and then your course up. Most folks I know run it in the north is up mode.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
dk2429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
No it won't. The direction the unit faces makes no difference. It will show your movement in relation to the map.

You have two choices that I know of, north up and then your course up. Most folks I know run it in the north is up mode.
Thanks folks, that's all I needed to know. Wasn't sure if the way the screen was mounted would screw with the heading.

I prefer north up on any GPS. Head up confuses me sometimes