Navigation in Adverse Conditions ( FOG ) - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #21
Duck
Registered Users-pm+

Duck has been promoted to PirateDuck has been promoted to PirateDuck has been promoted to PirateDuck has been promoted to PirateDuck has been promoted to PirateDuck has been promoted to PirateDuck has been promoted to PirateDuck has been promoted to PirateDuck has been promoted to PirateDuck has been promoted to PirateDuck has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHumbert View Post
I had apparently somehow slipped right through south pass, got turned around even more, went south to almost 2nd chain, then came back across SAB, and finally tacked back to Austwell. All without getting close enough to any shoreline!!
That's a great story!! Wonder how you got across Panther??
Duck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #22
dkhunter02
Registered Users-pm+

dkhunter02 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedkhunter02 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedkhunter02 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedkhunter02 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedkhunter02 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedkhunter02 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedkhunter02 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedkhunter02 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedkhunter02 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedkhunter02 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedkhunter02 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
I went out to East Matty From Sargent Monday morning. You couldnt see the bow of the boat. I ran maybe a hair past idle and bounced the ICW shorelines until I reached the cut. It was crazy stuff. I got to the blind about 45min late but at least I got there. Slow it down. You cant get that hurt if your doing less than 5 when you hit the barge.
dkhunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 01:45 AM   #23
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
Getting that time of year to bring up this great post.

Texas weather-- hot, cold, clear, rainy, or foggy and we can get it all in a week.

Be safe and have a Great Thanksgiving.

Jim
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #24
BustinTops
Losing fish is part of catching fish.

BustinTops has been promoted to PirateBustinTops has been promoted to PirateBustinTops has been promoted to PirateBustinTops has been promoted to PirateBustinTops has been promoted to PirateBustinTops has been promoted to PirateBustinTops has been promoted to PirateBustinTops has been promoted to PirateBustinTops has been promoted to PirateBustinTops has been promoted to PirateBustinTops has been promoted to Pirate
Last year for a few days straight the fog was the worst I have ever seen. Me and my cousin decided to make our way out to the King Ranch and wait it out fishing.........not the best call, as it got even worse as the morning progressed. I tell ya what, having a good gps fishfinder helps out so much. I can't imagine how it would of been without it. It didn't burn off until 1pm, but the fishing was good.
BustinTops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #25
fishnstringer
Banned

fishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Piratefishnstringer has been promoted to Pirate
Flag Thanks Capt. Dave.

I was raised in Orange, Texas and can remember on two occasions where fishermen/boaters ran into barges in fog. One ran into the front end and the other came out of a canal and ran into the side of the barge. Neither person lived to tell about it.
If I remember correctly from reading on 2cool when it happened, the bad experience John Humbert is referring to is the accident that occurred in Louisiana wherein a 2cooler was killed, along with 4 or 5 other men. The deceased 2cooler had just gone to Florida to purchase a used Panga, and was bringing it back to Texas for use. The 5 or 6 men had gone to eat at a restaurant some distance away by boat and were in route back to where they were staying when they ran into a barge that was moored without any lights on. Everyone was thrown forward in the boat and onto the barge upon impact.
From what I remember, they were found the next morning when employees arrived at the job site. John Humbert must have been the, or one of the only survivors of the accident and surely was hurt. My memory may be playing games with me, but it seems I read a lot of this in the newspaper, also.
This is all to say fog is dangerous at any time, and being on the water in it simply multiplies the difficulties, especially when it is at night. I've read on here and other sites where some people run on plain via their GPS and think it's safe. My thoughts and prayers go out to those willing to take the risk.

Last edited by fishnstringer; 11-23-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: change word
fishnstringer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #26
great white fisherman
Registered Users-pm+

great white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Learned in VEnice La where some of the worst fog in the US during winter months. Mississippi river runs about 48 degrees. Land mass is 60's and 70's. Thick fog sets up bad every morning and late evening. Without radar you are lost. We used radar, chart plotter, vhf radio. Lights on and everyone on board looking different direction. Could not see the end of my boat some of the time. Always talked on the radio to other ships, crew boats, etc. Its those nuts that you have to watch out for that have no radar, no radio, and no common sense or they would not have been out there. One evening we where coming in and some stupid fools where in the ship channel and lost. A ship was coming at them and all they where doing is going around and around in circles. We got to them and got about 30 yards away from the big ship. It was a close call. Another trip we where the only boat to get to a collission of a 600ft freightor and a 176ft crew boat at 6:00am in the morning. Fog so bad that coast guard helicoptor could not come down into the fog. We where the only eyes and was on scene for some four hours. Five men lost there lives to being broad sided by the freighter. We never even got a thanks from the coast guard yet I provided gps location, search and rescue attempt, water temp, water speed and directed the scene until about 10:00am in the morning. I had four fisherman that where not happy with me. You would have thought that the coast guard would have said thanks or sent a letter or something. We found the epird device, boat life raft, knocked on the upside down hull of the boat in some of the worst current I have been in coming around the boat in that river. Searched both sides of the river, took a day to get the deisel oil floating on the water off my boat. I would do it again to try and save someones life. Thanks Capt. Dave for your awesome posts.
great white fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #27
atcfisherman
Saved by the Grace of God

atcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirateatcfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Great information!!! I have been in fog as think as pea soup and personally hate it. Thanks for sharing!!! I am copying to my fishing topics on my computer for future use.
atcfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #28
Captain Dave
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows

Captain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to Pirate
That time of year again.. Friendly bump for all those new boat owners.

Take a look at Seabrook - {Pea Soup **

http://www.nichtberger.com/camera.html
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #29
capt. david
Registered Users-pm+

capt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Piratecapt. david has been promoted to Pirate
radar,gps, and compass although most do not have a radar. been in some nasty stuff and always made it back. only had to anchor one time and wait it out. remember to keep a track on your gps from when you leave the dock and follow the track back. reduce your speed and if you wear eyeglasses keep a dry towel to clean them with onboard!
capt. david is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #30
PasadenaMan
Registered Users-pm+

PasadenaMan has been promoted to PiratePasadenaMan has been promoted to PiratePasadenaMan has been promoted to PiratePasadenaMan has been promoted to PiratePasadenaMan has been promoted to PiratePasadenaMan has been promoted to PiratePasadenaMan has been promoted to PiratePasadenaMan has been promoted to PiratePasadenaMan has been promoted to PiratePasadenaMan has been promoted to PiratePasadenaMan has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks! Tested my horns and its bad. I bet there some switch with a 2 minute timer that would sounds your horn.
PasadenaMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message