Holden Pasture "Nunley Chittim Ranch deer lease" live deer season 2014-2015 - Page 10 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #91
grayson
Registered Users-pm+

grayson has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadonrod View Post
We have several ideas about our management plan that some don't agree with as far as numbers. I wish we did have the tags for a year like this that we want to take a lot of animal. As a group all of my hunters determine what and how many deer we take.. Losing that could put us right back where we started.. I would really like to have the extra tags and we don't so we have lots of kiddos, friends and management hunters doing the culling which is fun too. Our plan is far from perfect but we enjoy it.. We don't even fly the ranch anymore and put out trail cameras on maybe 6 -8 stands a year usually to find a deer we have seen or culls before our package hunts arrive which leaves the excitement in the hunt for us. The thing is we prob only see 50% of our bucks a year. That sure keep the excitement rolling. MLD would change all the old ways we still enjoy.. and I agree would def. help us in other ways..
yeah we see about 50% of our deer on camera - others we see for the first time when shot - we do not max out our MLD season but it does allow us to take the number of deer we need to - we have our lease hunters and a few family/friends take a few deer but overall we are responsible for culling so MLD comes in handy - I was just curious because with MLD you could still have your youth/management hunts but also have your lease hunters help with culling
grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #92
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayson View Post
Why aren't you guys MLD? Would sure make management easier
Grayson, if you were talking to me, yes, my ranch is under level 3 mldp.

The main thing we need for management is rain. We have had two years since the xmas snowfall of 2004 that we got over 30" of rain.
This looks like the 4th in a row below 20".
No matter how much you feed you cannot replace natures browse.
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #93
broadonrod

broadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayson View Post
yeah we see about 50% of our deer on camera - others we see for the first time when shot - we do not max out our MLD season but it does allow us to take the number of deer we need to - we have our lease hunters and a few family/friends take a few deer but overall we are responsible for culling so MLD comes in handy - I was just curious because with MLD you could still have your youth/management hunts but also have your lease hunters help with culling
I think MLD is great in some ways and can be a great tool for many leases and ranches. Some years we take more or less bucks and does than others and on the years we decide to take a lot like this year it can be tough without the extra tags. Our lease members tag all we can plus the kids, grandkids, friends do their part and we offer several management hunts as well. The management hunts have covered a lot of expense other wise we as a group would not be able to afford with the low number of hunters we try and keep per acre. The numbers the biologist we talked to years ago that he would have required us to kill would not work at all on our program. I feel there is way to much room for error when taking extreme numbers of management bucks and doe. The program we have in place now is a numbers game. We counted right around 200 different bucks over 150 last year on video from the stands alone. We prob have 100 of them 7-10+ years old and the old ones are breeding. Our plan is to let these buck have a little longer to prove them selves and do something crazy. Plus with this plan the hunters and guest get to watch as many as 10-15 150 plus really cool bucks each hunt sometimes more. We feel the doe also play a major roll in keeping genetics in place on the ranch so we actually only killed 33 doe in the past 3 years assuring the genetics of the bucks we took had a fair chance to replace them selves. I could not imagine taking as many bucks or does off the ranch as our guest the other night said they are required to do this season off 3500 acres. Last year we almost shot the deer my father just took at 206" as a management deer and I called it off the day of the hunt and sent the management hunter with the guide to hunt for another deer. He was the least desirable buck out of about 20 at that blind at 9 years old. We would lose the part of the hunt that makes up the entire program we have built this ranch on if we did go MLD (I think). This year we are planning to take a lot more deer than we did last year which was 45 deer, 20 doe and 25 bucks last season. With the genetics improving drastically over the past 5 years we are starting to get a little more open on the management deer we take. Honestly this year I think we would like to take about 150 deer, equal doe and bucks and rotate some of the older bucks and doe out leaving room for the great looking young deer we have been seeing. We are planning on taking the very old doe which we have a lot of.. We learn a lot listening to other hunters that are successful as your self on great ranches then try and piece the puzzle together each year differently as a group. I enjoyed the company and learned a few things from the neighbor we had over to the ranch the other night and will put all those thoughts together in the future plans for the ranch. If you ever get a break over there give me a shout if you want to swing by for a cold one and dinner one evening Grayson.. Hope y'all have a great hunting season this year as green as it is now its prob going to be a fun hunt for sure. Brett
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 05:44 AM   #94
grayson
Registered Users-pm+

grayson has disabled reputation
[QUOTE=broadonrod;11239569]I think MLD is great in some ways and can be a great tool for many leases and ranches. Some years we take more or less bucks and does than others and on the years we decide to take a lot like this year it can be tough without the extra tags. Our lease members tag all we can plus the kids, grandkids, friends do their part and we offer several management hunts as well. The management hunts have covered a lot of expense other wise we as a group would not be able to afford with the low number of hunters we try and keep per acre. The numbers the biologist we talked to years ago that he would have required us to kill would not work at all on our program. I feel there is way to much room for error when taking extreme numbers of management bucks and doe. The program we have in place now is a numbers game. We counted right around 200 different bucks over 150 last year on video from the stands alone. We prob have 100 of them 7-10+ years old and the old ones are breeding. Our plan is to let these buck have a little longer to prove them selves and do something crazy. Plus with this plan the hunters and guest get to watch as many as 10-15 150 plus really cool bucks each hunt sometimes more. We feel the doe also play a major roll in keeping genetics in place on the ranch so we actually only killed 33 doe in the past 3 years assuring the genetics of the bucks we took had a fair chance to replace them selves. I could not imagine taking as many bucks or does off the ranch as our guest the other night said they are required to do this season off 3500 acres. Last year we almost shot the deer my father just took at 206" as a management deer and I called it off the day of the hunt and sent the management hunter with the guide to hunt for another deer. He was the least desirable buck out of about 20 at that blind at 9 years old. We would lose the part of the hunt that makes up the entire program we have built this ranch on if we did go MLD (I think). This year we are planning to take a lot more deer than we did last year which was 45 deer, 20 doe and 25 bucks last season. With the genetics improving drastically over the past 5 years we are starting to get a little more open on the management deer we take. Honestly this year I think we would like to take about 150 deer, equal doe and bucks and rotate some of the older bucks and doe out leaving room for the great looking young deer we have been seeing. We are planning on taking the very old doe which we have a lot of.. We learn a lot listening to other hunters that are successful as your self on great ranches then try and piece the puzzle together each year differently as a group. I enjoyed the company and learned a few things from the neighbor we had over to the ranch the other night and will put all those thoughts together in the future plans for the ranch. If you ever get a break over there give me a shout if you want to swing by for a cold one and dinner one evening Grayson.. Hope y'all have a great hunting season this year as

Makes sense to me - and obviously it is working for you guys so as the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it! We get rolling this Saturday on our season - range conditions are great but you are right, it will be tough hunting. Best of luck to your guys.

By they way a good friend of mine's son works for you in sales - good kid
grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #95
broadonrod

broadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Pirate
Camp is safe! Had this guy making sure know body messes with our trucks! Feels great to have him on watch 24-7...
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #96
broadonrod

Cleaning out pictures.. Here is a cool buck that put on some trash.. I'm deleting some deer pictures...
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #97
Mikeyhunts
Registered Users-pm+

Mikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadonrod View Post
Cleaning out pictures.. Here is a cool buck that put on some trash.. I'm deleting some deer pictures...
You should be out there in the stand with your spear chunker!
Mikeyhunts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 12:27 AM   #98
broadonrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyhunts View Post
You should be out there in the stand with your spear chunker!
I'm ready to get back to the lease for sure. A couple of the guys are there now getting things ready for season.. I may head back down in a day or 2. I have been going threw videos comparing some bucks from last year to this year.. Wish I wouldn't have missed this little cool snap..
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #99
STXbowhunt
Registered Users-pm+

STXbowhunt has been promoted to PirateSTXbowhunt has been promoted to PirateSTXbowhunt has been promoted to PirateSTXbowhunt has been promoted to PirateSTXbowhunt has been promoted to PirateSTXbowhunt has been promoted to PirateSTXbowhunt has been promoted to PirateSTXbowhunt has been promoted to PirateSTXbowhunt has been promoted to PirateSTXbowhunt has been promoted to PirateSTXbowhunt has been promoted to Pirate
Looking great, Brett! Looking forward to seeing that drop tine buck with the split 2 hit the dirt!
STXbowhunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #100
B&C
Registered Users-pm+

B&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to PirateB&C has been promoted to Pirate
Doowapstart What they're doing is working!

I had the pleasure of hunting next door to this ranch for 13 years. We had 6 miles of common low fence. We actually had the lease for several years prior to Brett getting his lease. It was not hunted prior to that. We had what I believed was an incredible deer herd. We fed protein, heavily managed and produced some great bucks but it didn't compare with his results.

We hunt 4 miles north of them now and are taking their lead on many things. Their transformation over the past few years has been nothing short of remarkable. It is without question the best low fenced trophy whitetail ranch in the world.

We've had ~10" of rain at our lease this year. It's been timely and in small amounts. This is well below average. Our pasture is in great shape, except for our tanks, most of our buck have improved over last year and our fawn survival rate is >60%. We have a very healthy herd. Our protein selection was based on results from some of the best ranches in South Texas. In our opinion, ranches that consistently produce and reproduce bucks with trash have an optimal nutrition program. No one produces trashy bucks like Brett!

We're planning to use this feed next year.
B&C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message