Interesting article on Bass's memory. - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Freshwater Fishing General Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
richg99
richg99

Location: North Houston (FM1960/Champions area)& Tenn. in the Summers
richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
Interesting article on Bass's memory.

https://www.outdoornews.com/2014/02/...er-your-lures/
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
Gofish2day
Registered Users-pm+

Gofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to Pirate
Rich,
This happened about 2 months ago. I have a small drainage canal by my house with a bridge where you can watch the bass from above. The first thing I learned is bass can see you very very easy and spook away.
I was watching one day and this one bass about 12" long was after a minnow. He chased it clear up on shore. It was about 2-3" long. It jumped back in right next to the bass and escaped back down the canal with the bass in hot chase behind. He missed it and was mad. In a maybe 10min period that bass came back to the exact same spot about 5 times to relive what had happened. He remembered.
The canal makes a very shallow pond with just a couple a bass and bream. Nothing to really fish.
Gofish2day is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

photofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
link broken
photofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
richg99
richg99

Location: North Houston (FM1960/Champions area)& Tenn. in the Summers
richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
Try again. Works for me and the above poster. Perhaps your system blocks some urls.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
texcajun
Registered Users-pm+

texcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Pirate
Anecdotally I figured this out a long time ago. I grew up fishing farm ponds in southeast Louisiana. If fished hard for 3 or 4 days in a row, the bite would just shut down. I'm talking ponds that no matter where you stood, you could cast 10' past the shore on the opposite side. I knew the fish were still there, but I couldn't get 'em to bite on anything. But! If you could wait 3 to 4 months before you hit em again, they's be willing to whack that spinnerbait all over again. Some of the biggest bass I've seen came out of ponds near Folsom, LA.
texcajun is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #6
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

photofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
Try again. Works for me and the above poster. Perhaps your system blocks some urls.
tried again with a different browser and it worked.
The above article is exactly why I keep vintage/old lures around. Fishing at highly pressurized lakes such as Fayette County, we used to absolutely destroy fish on Super Flukes when they first came out. While they looked a lot like the competitor, Bass Assassin, the way they floated in the water was slightly different and it was common to have 100 fish days. Today you'd be lucky to get 5-10 fish in a day on a Super Fluke.
Conversely, one morning I brought out a Jitterbug and had a blast there.
Bass's memory is one reason you need to refine your tactics and also get back to basics of "matching the hatch".
Old 09-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #7
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Interesting article on Bass's memory.

Thanks for sharing richg99: a very cool read.
The different types of memory tested were very interesting.
The one regarding recognition of crawfish and baitfish behaviors and motions is very poignant as it relates to presentation and retrieve.
Sometimes using a neutral stimuli lure and giving it a retrieve to match the motions of the bait being chased is the best case situation.
I consider slabs, top water lures with no cup to their face and no propellers along with jig head/straight body worm all to be neutral stimuli lures. They have no inherent action, only what action you give them.
No inherent action means no stimuli that tips off the fish instantly that it’s a fake.
Spinners, propellers, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #8
ML56

ML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to Pirate
Interesting and matches my experiences,....... now where is my old "Lucky 13" and Bang-o-lure???-Mike
ML56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
I know it hacks off some of the readers here, but here's the interesting part of this article for me:

Jones even cited a four-year study by the University of Illinois that documented recapture rates of largemouth bass. The average bass was caught twice each season, but some bass were caught up to 16 times in a single season.

That means I'm depriving anywhere from 1-15 people (maybe including myself on my next trip) every time I keep a bass. And that's just in one year.

They're much too valuable to be caught just once.
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse View Post
I know it hacks off some of the readers here, but here's the interesting part of this article for me:

Jones even cited a four-year study by the University of Illinois that documented recapture rates of largemouth bass. The average bass was caught twice each season, but some bass were caught up to 16 times in a single season.

That means I'm depriving anywhere from 1-15 people (maybe including myself on my next trip) every time I keep a bass. And that's just in one year.

They're much too valuable to be caught just once.
you can use that analogy with almost any fish...that doesn't mean they don't taste good and that good conservation won't replace that bass/crappie/catfish/red snapper etc. that you just had for dinner. I'm all for catch and release...but the population explodes when it's not kept in check. When there's more competition for forage, bass tend to grow smaller as they don't eat as well. It's a delicate balance.