Garden Pictures! - Page 23 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #221
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Beautiful produce. What do you do cooking wise with the Blue Hubbard squash?

My mad hatter peppers, your peppers reminded me of your questions about the mad hatter, are pretty good. Still setting fruit. Rangy, moderately productive plant. Stuffed red ripe ones this evening with cream cheese topped with fresh mozzarella and put them on the cooler edge of a medium grill. Very tasty that way. Raw, mad hatter peppers have a citrusy flavor with about zero heat. Might grow a plant or two again based on this year’s results.
karstopo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #222
Dick Hanks
Pike

Dick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to Pirate
Karstopo..... I have an old post on this thread about cooking the Blue Hubbard Squash. I'm pretty sure it is Post #154. It has a better flavor and texture than any other winter squash in my opinion. Did I mention that they get BIG!

I didn't think that I would like squash soup but it is really good. What made it a killer good soup was adding some of my homemade Aji Dulce #2 Pepper sauce to the soup. This gave the soup a little "kick" and a very complex, delicious flavor.

The primary ingredients in the Aji Dulce sauce are the ripe, seeded peppers, vinegar, mango and carrot. These all get pureed together. It only takes about a tablespoon of this sauce in a bowl of soup to make it gourmet. This soup freezes really well. Lot of squash soup recipes are available on the internet.

The Aji Dulce #2 Pepper looks and tastes like a Habanero, but it has less heat than a Serrano or even most Jalapenos. Here is a picture of one of my Aji Dulce #2 plants this year. Ripe peppers are still 2 or 3 weeks away, but the plants are loaded with them.
Attached Images

Dick Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #223
Dick Hanks
Pike

Dick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to Pirate
Mid September update

The green beans have been producing heavily but the plants don't look that different so I didn't include a picture this time. All of the potatoes (both red and white) have been dug as well as about 1/2 of the carrots. Parsnip and rutabaga would be pulled until the 1st frost.

All of the onions have been picked as well as the biggest tomatoes. Nothing huge this year. The biggest tomato was 1# 9.4 oz. and is pictured below. Really a nice shape for a big tomato and the flavor on a BLT was excellent. Still pretty meaty for a large matter as well. The variety was "Big Zak". Several came in very close to that size, so it wasn't exceptional at all for that variety. Actually kind of small.

Big onion was 21.4 oz. (1# 5.4 oz) so nothing really big there either. However there were lots in the 1# range which is actually our favorite size to use in the kitchen. Very pleased with this years crop. Still drying them for storage.

The last picture are some peppers that I didn't know that I had grown. It was from a pack of Aji Dulce#! seed and the rest of the plants were correct. These peppers appear to be Aji Dulce #2. Looks like it will be very productive, good flavor with much reduced heat. They are also ripening faster that the #1s that I intended to plant. Will be saving some seeds from this plant for growing next year. They were a pleasant surprise!

Big Blue Hubbard and a mystery squash pictures coming soon. Also pumpkin picture
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #224
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
I agree, Dick, the "there were lots in the 1# range which is actually our favorite size to use in the kitchen" those are the best. A lot of folks around here had relatively light crops of tomatoes this year.

Nice onions...that even a Texan would be proud of.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #225
hk
Registered Users-pm+

hk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Pirate
Good looking tomatoes Dick.Planted Snow peas and evergreen bunching last week and coming up good with all the recent rain.Name:  20190919_104055.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  144.1 KB

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
hk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #226
Mattsfishin
Registered Users-pm+

Mattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to Pirate
Good looking vegetables there Dick. The rain has really got my white multiplying onions going good. Gonna plant some brussel sprouts and broccoli tomorrow. All this rain beat the heck out of my turnips. May have to replant when it dries out some. Got almost 8 inches of rain.
Attached Images

Mattsfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #227
Dick Hanks
Pike

Matt,,, Do you start the multiplying onions from seed or as a started plant?

Well, we had our 1st frost up here about a week ago so I've been cleaning out the garden.

This post is just about the pumpkins and squash. I had 2 Pumpkin plants and 2 Blue Hubbard squash plants.

One Pumpkin plant was restricted to 2 Pumpkins and it produced a 40# and a 30# Pumpkin for a total of 70#s on that vine. The other vine was unrestricted and had 3 Pumpkins @ 24.5#, 20.5#, and a 16# for a total 61#s on that vine.

The biggest squash was also exactly 40#s. It was the only Blue Hubbard that had almost Pumpkin coloring. The other 6 squash all had the normal blue/gray coloring.

I'm guessing this coloration on the big squash was because of a cross pollination last year between a Pumpkin and a Squash. I saved seed out of the Pumpkins and Squash last year and replanted them this year. Not sure why it was the only one that turn out like this. I'm looking forward to seeing if it has the classic Hubbard flavor, or if there is a hint of Pumpkin flavor in it as well.

Lark.... Remember that I planted some sweet corn later in the season? Both of us thought that frost would get it before it was ready. Thankfully, we had a late 1st frost and the corn made it! The coons and bears didn't get it and it was fantastic!. I will plant corn again next year. Earlier next time though.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2019, 07:27 PM   #228
Mattsfishin
Registered Users-pm+

Mattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to Pirate
I start the multiplying onions from bulbs. Some I saved from the season before and some I had to buy. Only saved about 100 from the season before. They are already growing big enough to eat. I will pick every other one until I get them thinned out. I eat these with just about everything. Going to pick some turnip greens and mustard greens this weekend. Should have enough for a good meal. It is a little early. Planted broccoli and brussel sprouts from plants.
Mattsfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message