Navigation in Adverse Conditions ( FOG ) - Page 6 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #51
GeneralRack

GeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Fog

I was caught out in the fog Sunday after the fishing show. 11 miles back to the barn and visibility was pretty close to zero. Had to use the ICW for some, so was going sub 10 mph for most of it. Called my wife and gave her route & waypoints every 30 minutes and instructions to call Coast Guard if I missed a check in call. Lessons learned: 1. Have a really bright forward light on the boat - not to see, but so the cowboys can see me. 2. Get a bigger air horn + backups. Had a small one and was afraid to use it much for fear of it running out 3. Get a dedicated ship/shore so that I can talk to ships in area on it the way I used to when landing airplanes at non-towered airfields. 4. As my WWII bomber pilot Granddad said, believe the instruments rather than your senses. 5. Don't go out in the **** fog expecting it to improve. It usually gets worse.

Pretty disturbing overall. The good news was that we had caught some fish first, but it wouldn't have made up for ending up under a barge.
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #52
Captain Dave
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows

Captain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to Pirate
Great info below.. and being yor 31st post in 9 years it is well recognized .

There will be extra boat traffice with the big ships coming in after being held up for a few days and mix that with a bit nicer weather and Spring break its a recipe for you know what..

I have crossed the jetty channel many times in the fog and the fog at night.. Eyes on the water and compass, souind the horn and shut off motor at times to listen Big ships will sound off.. Some Fing Pilot boats will not. I almost had a head on with one with no lights, no horn and doing 30 knots in the fog.. A missle needed to be fired at that hull .

Be safe.. Stay at port and wait for a clearing and remember the evening fog sets in early as the colder water / warmer air and dew points are in full effect.

CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRack View Post
I was caught out in the fog Sunday after the fishing show. 11 miles back to the barn and visibility was pretty close to zero. Had to use the ICW for some, so was going sub 10 mph for most of it. Called my wife and gave her route & waypoints every 30 minutes and instructions to call Coast Guard if I missed a check in call. Lessons learned: 1. Have a really bright forward light on the boat - not to see, but so the cowboys can see me. 2. Get a bigger air horn + backups. Had a small one and was afraid to use it much for fear of it running out 3. Get a dedicated ship/shore so that I can talk to ships in area on it the way I used to when landing airplanes at non-towered airfields. 4. As my WWII bomber pilot Granddad said, believe the instruments rather than your senses. 5. Don't go out in the **** fog expecting it to improve. It usually gets worse.

Pretty disturbing overall. The good news was that we had caught some fish first, but it wouldn't have made up for ending up under a barge.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #53
GeneralRack

GeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGeneralRack has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Thanks Cap'n... Only other thing I needed was a Labrador on board!
Old 03-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #54
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
I will bump this back up for the spring. Jim
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #55
Ltrichel
Registered Users-pm+

Ltrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to Pirate
was wanting to post this story right after the incident happened but didn't think it was '2cool' worthy. thanks to Captains Dave's advise guess this is a good and relevant place to share.

Was in Port Mansfield Feb 2-6 with two other boats of fisherman. It was our annual trip that we had been making for over 30 years. total of 12 of us each boat armed with many many years of knowledge of Port M and fishing overall. And, each had GPS with way points etc. Got up early on Feb 4 to really really dense fog. After discussion we decided the proper path to the north end where we like to fish ( Glady's Hole) and ICW shoals would be to avoid the shore line as dense fog that time of year is a wade fisherman's delight along the entire shoreline. So respecting that point we decided we would run to ICW using GPS and stay about 100 yard or so West of ICW to avoid any potential barge traffic or fellow fisherman thinking they could navigate maker to marker. We would run as slow as possible. another Capt Dave suggestion, but staying on plane and each boat would stay on the outside wake of the boat in front to reduce chance of running up on lead boats. To show how dense it was if you stayed close enough to see the lead boats you were TOO close so the wake method was a little comfort.

Was checking the compass heading and GPS regular as another 2cooler says just to make sure we were tracking as planned and of course all eyes were forward to insure maximum spotting capabilities. I was in the lead boat and knew we were approach marker 39 based on the GPS reading when about 30 yards at 10 oclock from my bow a boat was stopped working the shoal. I am sure he was worried as he could hear us coming for miles!. I immediately shut down the the following boats did also, all got as far from him as possible and was idling by when I could hear another boat coming at a good speed up on all of us. He popped out of fog right off my bow. Had I been on plane we would have had to excute some serious maneuvers to avoid collision. He shut down and there we all were, 5 boats within 30-40 yards of each other, 20 miles form port and possibly the only boats in that area! We all laughed about how we could all end up at the same spot, and the same time with over 100 square miles of lower laguna to fish. We idled to our spots to start fishing! One boat went far into Glady's and we worked the shoal from weather station south to th twin cabins on the east side of the ICW

Wanted to share this as there are several examples in this real life story that are good proof points to the suggestions that Cast Dave opened the thread with,
Ltrichel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #56
Ltrichel
Registered Users-pm+

Ltrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to PirateLtrichel has been promoted to Pirate
JimD, sorry just realized that you were bringing forward an older message that Capt Dave originally sent so thanks for the reminder. my tag on referenced Dave's message and not yours,
Ltrichel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #57
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
I brought this before and hopefully cooler weather will be here again with the fog.

I used to fish a lot at night and in the fog and it can get scary really quick. We can all come up with places that are horrible in the fog I have had them from Port Mansfield to Lake Sabine.

My scariest place is launching under the Port Author Bridge into the Neches River about 3/4 mile from the Sabine River and lake Sabine. When it gets foggy the worst place is where the two rivers run into the lake. It can be foggy here and not much less on the lake or the whole lake can be socked in and finally clear and still this place is foggy because of the mix of fresh and salt water.

If you have never launched there when to the junction of the Rivers and the lake meet there happens to be two different barge companies one to the right and the one to the left of the river and the one on the left has barges tied and workingon both sides of the Sabine river and well less that 100 yards wide. There is also a large island just across the T (straight a head from the neches) so to speak with about 1-2 depth if you miss the island and fall out of the Sabine Neches channel,

I have had my gps quit out in this area and so foggy it is hard to see all the tugs and barges moving either at night and fog or just in the fog with less that 50 yards visability

Once you get thru the left side barges and tugs then you have to look for trees and other cr-- in the water with zero vis above the island. If you swing out past the island into the lake the water is less that 4 ft deep and you have logs and trees that have drifted out on these flats to look for that are continually moving.

I used to love fishing it when it was salty but it can make you want to sh-- your pants too at night and foggy with 4-10 barges and tugs working across that whole area plus up and down the river.

Little long but if you are not used to fishing at night or heavy fog or both. Stay safe and know what you are doing and where. There is a story every year or two of people running down the ICW at night/ fog and running into a barge that is tied up even experienced fishermen.

Where is the worst area you have found to launch at in night and fog?
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #58
Bruce J
Registered Users-pm+

Bruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to PirateBruce J has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Where is the worst area you have found to launch at in night and fog?

Ummm...Night and Fog? The worst place would be ANYWHERE.

Just one more tip:

For those with AIS-capable VHF radios, they can be connected with your Garmin/Simrad/whatever display and it will show other AIS-equipped vessels on your screen and also provide proximity warnings if you set those up. None of this tech stuff replaces all the good common sense precautions as all have mentioned, but it's one more safety device available to some.

Radar is another of course. But with all of these aids, it's best to practice using them in good conditions so that you're very familiar with them when you might really need to use them.
Bruce J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message