san luis pass surf fishing from a boat - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
Stephen2374
Registered Users-pm+

Stephen2374 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
san luis pass surf fishing from a boat

Hey guys - planning an overnight trip next week to SLP. Was thinking about taking my boat through the pass and fishing up/down the beach. I fish mud island, CP, etc all the time but never went through the pass. Thinking all this heat will heat up the bay pretty fast, so thinking the surf may be a good option late in the day.

Any advice on going through the pass or fishing the beach front from a boat?

Thanks in advance!
Stephen2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen2374 View Post
Hey guys - planning an overnight trip next week to SLP. Was thinking about taking my boat through the pass and fishing up/down the beach. I fish mud island, CP, etc all the time but never went through the pass. Thinking all this heat will heat up the bay pretty fast, so thinking the surf may be a good option late in the day.

Any advice on going through the pass or fishing the beach front from a boat?

Thanks in advance!
Don't need a boat to get on fish , has been good. I'd fish cold pass and put in at SLP park and anchor up on the pier with lights in the pass. Plenty of bait right now, castnet shad at the boat ramp throw on ice and drit through your lights.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
hurricane matt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Its Catchy
Banned

Its Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to Pirate
First and foremost be careful. What can happen at all the passes that lack jetties is you can hit a sandbar. It will kill the motor and a strong tide will take you sideways. By the time you get the motor running again you will take surf over the side of the boat while the tide is pushing in the opposite direction.

It does not even have to be rough for this to happen. The outgoing tide will push one side of the boat downward while the surf is coming up and over on the otherside.

Don't ask me how I know...

With that being said if you pick a calm day you can do really good.
Its Catchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Catchy View Post
First and foremost be careful. What can happen at all the passes that lack jetties is you can hit a sandbar. It will kill the motor and a strong tide will take you sideways. By the time you get the motor running again you will take surf over the side of the boat while the tide is pushing in the opposite direction.

It does not even have to be rough for this to happen.

Don't ask me how I know...

With that being said if you pick a calm day you can do really good.
That place is so sketchy that is why I suggested cold pass. Last night on brazoria side of the pass it went from two feet from the shore to who knows how deep couldn't even gig that side. I've never fished there during the day so no idea about that but if you do what I suggested you'll get fish. I know of almost a 9 lb trout caught there last nite by an associate.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
hurricane matt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
Stephen2374
Registered Users-pm+

Stephen2374 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Great advice! Thanks

Matt - mind if I reach out to get a little more detail on what you suggested?
Stephen2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
You don't need to go more than 100 yards outside of the bridge. If you haven't already done so, fishing the bridge pilings or near them this time of year in 6-8 feet of water can be awesome. That is cool enough water for them. They tend to hug the bottom during the heat of the day, but will venture towards the surface at low to no light conditions. I would just anchor on the downstream (tide) side casting distance of the bridge, cast under the bridge and let it drop to the bottom and come to you with the tide. I would suspect there are as many fish per mile of that bridge than the beachfront on both sides of the pass combined.

But if you really want to go out, be sure to motor out on the Galveston side, do so without being on plane and stay about 50 yards on the Gulf side of the outermost breakers of the beach. Also, don't even think about going around the sand bar to the Freeport side. Just do the Galveston surf.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message