Mosquito Fleet Kings - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
wavygravy
Registered Users-pm+

wavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMaster
Mosquito Fleet Kings

Looking at the forecast this weekend and had the thought to go chase kings out of Surfside in my little boat (Transport cat). Wondering if anyone has been out recently and seen decent water out of the jetties? Better yet reports on kings out there? I've never caught one so I've still got a chubby to get after them one day. Appreciate the info guys!
wavygravy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
Totally Tuna
Registered Users-pm+

Totally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to Pirate
You have many options, but I will give you the two that I would focus on as they will work even when the shrimp boats are not in.

1st - as soon as you clear the SS jetty, take a 180° heading. After about 6 miles you should see boats towards the Southwest. This area is known as the Middle Bank. There will be boats scattered throughout this area as there are numerous large rock formations. Troll this area with Russellures, feather jigs, or catch some live bait and bump troll/power drift the area. Any shrimp boats in the area that are close are worth driving over to and checking out. Any birds in the area also are worth checking out.

2nd option - take a 135° heading out of the jetty. Again about 6-7 miles out you should notice some boats fishing a small area. This is the SE Lump. It's a large rock that holds bait year around and kings are here from April to October. Just offshore from here there will be anchored tankers. Since there are almost zero rigs left in the region, Kings and bait use whatever structure they can find. These ships often are loaded with both. If you see bait on the surface, catch two and slow troll them around the ship. Again, Any shrimp boats in the area are worth checking out as are birds, splashing bait, weed/trash lines.

You do not have to have Rik's Book, but I highly recommend you get a copy. There is a version that has state water numbers and a little bit further out. If you can land a copy of that one you will be able to reach most of the numbers in the State Water book with any boat that I would be comfortable going to the SE Lump in.
Totally Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
Hawglife
Registered Users-pm+

Hawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to Pirate
Pm sent

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Hawglife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
Totally Tuna
Registered Users-pm+

Totally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to PirateTotally Tuna has been promoted to Pirate
Don't follow my previous advice.

Wavy, I would not recommend you chase after kings in that boat. At least not in the areas that I just mentioned. Too many bad things can happen and that boat isn't designed take what the Gulf waters can throw at it. If you decide to do so, I would recommend that you find a buddy who has a better suited boat and take it. You can return the favor and take said buddy on a bay trip in your boat.
Totally Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
Hawglife
Registered Users-pm+

Hawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tuna View Post
Wavy, I would not recommend you chase after kings in that boat. At least not in the areas that I just mentioned. Too many bad things can happen and that boat isn't designed take what the Gulf waters can throw at it. If you decide to do so, I would recommend that you find a buddy who has a better suited boat and take it. You can return the favor and take said buddy on a bay trip in your boat.
I hate to disagree, but if you pick and choose your days and u watch for storms it's plenty doable, I've done it in a 18 ft skiff, kayaks, 17 ft skiff. I've seen small Jon boats, and kayaks. I always make sure to have a buddy boat with me in case something does happen, but most I've ever been in a small boat was around the areas you mentioned. We usually just trolled close to the first platform, and always did pretty good out there, can still see the shore from there.
I do agree that it is unpredictable out there, but if you know what to look for and are constantly thinking about safety it's not a big deal. Sometimes it's calmer out there then in the bays, and usually a quicker run too.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Hawglife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message