It's not about the fish - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
It's not about the fish

Catching fish is just a small part of fishing. Sometimes if you just stop and take a look around, you will realize the real reason your fishing in the first place.
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of piles of dead fish this time, but I do have some of live fish, and a story.
I didn't hit the water until around 9am on Saturday and I only had a hour to fish because we were having my friends memorial. I walked out to the second bar with a bone skitterwalk tied on and a few tails in my shirt pocket. Anytime I fish early morning or late evening, I always try to position my self to cast into the sun. I do this so when a fish is coming up behind my bait, it won't be blinded by the sun. On my first cast, something made a huge swirl on my topwater, but didn't hit. I casted to the same place again and BAMM. A explosion of white water 6' in the air blocked out the sun, and all I saw was a silver silhouette about 3' long right in the middle of it, and I knew I had the new state record trout on my line. It took off peeling drag, then flew out of the water like a rocket. Everytime it jumped I would lower my rod tip, and hope against all things holy that it didn't throw the hooks. After over a dozen jumps, it finally settled down and tried to bulldog it's self free. It started making circles around me, but every time it went around I would get it a few feet closer. Just when I thought victory was at hand, I saw the fin cutting like a knife through the water. I started to panic, I cranked down on my drag and started pulling with all my might in a desperate plea to save my trophy from the oceans top predator. It's only a rod length away, the fin is right on top of it, it's just breaking the surface, and that's when I saw it. It was no trout at all, what engulfed my skitterwalk was a 3 1/2' spinner shark. I just started laughing, until I realized I didn't have a net. I never carry a net wading the surf because I can snatch a trout out of the water like a eagle, but as I found out, live sharks aren't so easy to grab. It took me a while, but I finally managed to retrieve my lure and set the shark free. What I didn't realize was the fight with the shark had done a number on my leader, and on the very next cast I hooked something else and broke off. I tied on a tail and started catch trout and turning them loose and got a few pics before my camera battery died.
We went to the cut that afternoon and caught some sand trout and little hammerhead. Of coarse my stepson and 2 of his buddys to the boat to the beach front and slaughtered them. They caught 8 over 25" before they started catching keepers, even got a big ugly.
Enough of my ramblings, heres some live fish pics.
Attached Images

sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
fishingtwo
You'll Never Catch em Like That

fishingtwo has disabled reputation
Nice story

That what me and my buddy said yesterday, catching is just a bonus.
fishingtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
jrabq
LotsObeach-no Agua

jrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Pirate
Cool story, those last 4 pics are awesome!
jrabq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
mccain
\m/

mccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Pirate
good stuff!
mccain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
sharkchum
Banned

I have one more story from this weekend.

The boys got home around 4am Sunday morning, soaking wet, covered with mud, and white as ghosts.
They had went flounder gigging, and already had 5 nice ones on the stringer. They were crossing a waist deep gut in knee deep mud to get to another shallow sand bar when they heard a huge splash behind them. When they shined their lights in the direction of the noise, all they saw was a huge dark shape in the water. They hit high gear and was almost to the sand bar when the one with the stringer started getting pulled backwards. It only lasted a second before the stringer went slack and they all made it safely to the sand bar, minus their flounder. When they turned around, there was a 8' bull shark right at the edge of the bar with it's back out of the water looking for another easy meal.
Needless to say, they didn't cross the gut again to get back to the truck and were forced to take the long way back, which was through waste deep mud and salt grass. I think it may be a while before they go gigging again.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
Great stories and pictures. You never disappoint. Glad the kids are okay. Oh to be young again.
WillieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
Kevin Nicholls
Registered Users-pm+

Kevin Nicholls has been promoted to PirateKevin Nicholls has been promoted to PirateKevin Nicholls has been promoted to PirateKevin Nicholls has been promoted to PirateKevin Nicholls has been promoted to PirateKevin Nicholls has been promoted to PirateKevin Nicholls has been promoted to PirateKevin Nicholls has been promoted to PirateKevin Nicholls has been promoted to PirateKevin Nicholls has been promoted to PirateKevin Nicholls has been promoted to Pirate
I see our friend in the tower boat out there. It was nice to meet you and your wife Sunday.
Kevin Nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
sharkchum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Nicholls View Post
I see our friend in the tower boat out there. It was nice to meet you and your wife Sunday.
It was nice meeting you to. I'm sure we'll run into each other again.
It's hard to believe we both got potlicked by the same boat on the same day in different locations. He had 367 miles of coast line to fish, but chose to throw his anchor out right in front of me and scare all my fish off. He's lucky I was in a good mood or I would have walked over and pulled the plugs out of his boat and tossed them. I guess I need to find some clear fishing rods, so people can't see when I'm bowed up on fish.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #10
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Good times.. I bet they'll tell that story a time or two.. that's part of fishing too.

Nice work with the kids getting them fishing Johnny