Galv West end surf 7/13, 10 fish stringer - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
jrabq
LotsObeach-no Agua

jrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Pirate
Galv West end surf 7/13, 10 fish stringer

OK, I cheated a bit, 7 specs and 3 sand trout.

Clarity was great, but it was a bit sporty with a few occasional large swells. At first my SS Jr was getting no love, switched to a larger yellow skitterpop and caught 3 trout, then it got slow again. Tried a few other lures and a Shadow Rap started working, caught 2 trout and 3 sandies, one almost 15". Lost several fish, you'd think with 3 treble hooks on a suspending lure it wouldn't happen much.

After that it got slow again, I tried another SS Jr in more natural color and grinded out 2 more trout between 9:00-10:00. Stuck it out for another hour then called it a day, my best surf outing in a very long time. Nothing huge but some nice trout in 16-18" range. Also had 4 or 5 throwbacks.
Attached Images

jrabq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
fishingtwo
You'll Never Catch em Like That

fishingtwo has disabled reputation
Nice haul, sometime you have to grind to out.

Wtg
fishingtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
mccain
\m/

mccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Pirate
good job!
mccain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
jrabq
LotsObeach-no Agua

jrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the feedback on this and other posts I made in July.

It's been two weeks since this report and this was the last good day of fishing on my vacation, which was almost over anyway.

I did get back in the surf in front of the beach house that afternoon (7/13) about 2:00, and it was "ON". I was hoping I would get 3 more keeper trout to get me to 10 fish for the day, which would have been my last 10 fish limit in probably forever (since I won't get back to TX before the limit drops in September). But for some reason I couldn't keep them on the hook, I landed 2 keeper specs, about 6 dinks, and one sand trout, ….and lost 7 or 8 fish. Also caught a handful of small bluefish. This was all on top-water, and the action died after about 45 minutes (I even caught the sand trout on a SS Jr). So I finished the day with 9 specs and 4 sand trout.

But it was a great vacation for me, with 4 days of mostly favorable conditions out of 7, I kept 22 speckled trout and threw back 60+ undersized, virtually all on top-water, my best trip in a very long time. Also got two nice trout at 25" & 26.5", so maybe that makes this my best trip in my 20 years of fishing Galveston (typically only 1 week a year).

With this fishing trip fading in the rear view mirror and hunting season just 3 weeks away (archery deer Utah) I will be looking at 2Cool less and less each day. Hopefully this site will still be here when I start looking again next Summer, until then,

Tight lines and stay safe!

JR

Last edited by jrabq; 07-27-2019 at 03:42 PM.
jrabq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message