Catch for our latest trip - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 05-21-2004, 11:02 PM   #11
Snagged
Crabby Old Man

Snagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundman
hey belly?"? ive got a big fillet of blackfin afriend gave me how is the best way to cook it?? thanks
You might also try cutting into small pieces a doing a simple scampi with it. Blackfin isn't my favorite eating.
Snagged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2004, 11:25 PM   #12
Snagged
Crabby Old Man

Snagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to Pirate
Tuna trip report here

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/...gulf/1386.html
Old 05-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #13
Bellyup
Registered Users-pm+

Bellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
TS, I respect your opinion and I agree, I hate wasting fish. I think party boats would be best emphasizing catch and release. They could then advertise how many they caught and released. I can assure you most of my catch will be eaten and less will likely be wasted than what occurs at any restraunt (or from those that take guide trips and get their limit of trout). I have already prepared three meals with my fish. Of note, very few blackfin were caught exactly for this reason. No need to keep bft when you have enough yft.

Roundman, my problem eating tuna is medium rare to rare is not appealing to me. No matter how I look at it, it is difficult for me to overcome eating anything that is rare. Tuna is recommended to be eaten that way since, IMO, it tastes like dry cardboard when overcooked. I tend to cook mine medium to medium rare. This works good for me. Here are some recipes I like. Make sure you cut out and discard all dark meat (ideally when initially cleaning the fish). Tuna freezes very well when vacuum packed. It will lose its pretty color when frozen.

1. Blackened tuna sandwhich: blacken with chef Paul Prudhommes seasoning (make sure to paint the fillet with butter, put on seasoning, then put on grill. while on the grill, I do the same to the side not cooking. I usually put some butter in the pan prior to cooking and add a little olive oil to prevent from drying out) to medium (pink center), add cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, and put on a toasted roll. This tastes great!

You can also grill the tuna and eat the sandwich with the grilled tuna instead.

2. Grill to medium or medium rare. Keep coating with a mix of butter +/- olive oil to keep the fish moist. It is a very lean fish and dries out easily.

3. place in foil, add some butter and beef fajita seasoning, fold foil into a tent, and bake at about 400 for 15-20 minutes. This will make it medium well, which some people will consider overcooked. Derease cooking time if desired.

4. My friend bakes or steams it and then makes his own tuna salad. If you like tuna salad, then this would turn out very good and can be kept in the fridge for awhile. Unfortunately, I do not eat tuna salad.

5. Make a green salad with balckened tuna. This will taste great and is one of my favorites.

6. shiskobobs, place on wooden skewers, add red, green, and yellow peppers plus/minus anything else you like. Brush with a butter/olive oil 1:1 mix until medium to medium rare

7. more kabobs

2 pounds of tuna, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes

1 pound of fresh mushrooms

marinade
1 cup of olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 bay leaf, crushed
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

Sauce
4 Tbsp of lime juice
3/4 cup of olive oil
2 Tbsp of chopped parsley
2 tsp of chopped oregeno
1/4 tsp of salt

Mix the marinade ingredients together, then add the mushrooms and tuna to the marinade in a glass bowel. cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or more.

To make the sauce, mix all the sauce ingrediants well and let stand for 1-2 hours. This sauce will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.

Thread the fish and mushrooms on wooden skewers and sear all sides while brushing with marinade. Pour sauce (or dip into sauce) over the tuna and mushrooms when eating.

This is a great recipe.

Roundman, all these recipes are fine with bft. A good piece of bft is not much different than yft. At least with my taste buds.

As you can see, I obviously eat as much as I can.

Last edited by Bellyup; 05-22-2004 at 12:06 AM.
Bellyup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #14
BeeGee
Offshore

BeeGee has been promoted to PirateBeeGee has been promoted to PirateBeeGee has been promoted to PirateBeeGee has been promoted to PirateBeeGee has been promoted to PirateBeeGee has been promoted to PirateBeeGee has been promoted to PirateBeeGee has been promoted to PirateBeeGee has been promoted to PirateBeeGee has been promoted to PirateBeeGee has been promoted to Pirate
Thumbs down My family eats it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sponge
What a waste of resources. Those are enough tuna to feed all of Port Aransas for several weeks. I hate headboats because of the greedy people that will readily kill anything that swims just so they can have a picture taken at the dock. It's no wonder that fishermen who pay for and maintain their own boats are sickened at the sight of this kind of carnage. Even if there were 40 anglers on that boat this is uncalled for.
Hope you and all the people you give them to, that throw them in the trash, are happy. Throw me off this forum if you guys want to but I'm personally disgusted.
I would find room in my freezer for all of it. My kids are picky and there is very little "protien" you can eat that is this healthy. Tuna is an excellent souce of omega 3 fatty acids (good cholestrol). My kids love grilled fish better than anything else I put on the table.
Now, if you don't eat fish, by all means, throw em back. But in my house, this is an unequalled treat and NONE would got to waste. If you are a regular on this forum, you know these anglers are ALL very conservation minded and you are singing to the choir. If you are new, you might want to get to know us better before you rant.
BeeGee
BeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2004, 12:39 PM   #15
Steelersfan
Banned

Steelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to PirateSteelersfan has been promoted to Pirate
Snagged,
Don't pay attention to the troll. Not worth the time and effort. Great catch. I am going to have to get on one of those overnighters before I leave Texas. I still haven't caught a tuna but I sure do love it!
Steelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2004, 12:49 PM   #16
Bellyup
Registered Users-pm+

Bellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBellyup has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
TS, It is hard to tell, but that is a mixed catch. There are 33 YFT in that pic. The rest are AJ, some BFT, and rainbow runners. 1 and 1/2 wahoo as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sponge
What a waste of resources. Those are enough tuna to feed all of Port Aransas for several weeks. I hate headboats because of the greedy people that will readily kill anything that swims just so they can have a picture taken at the dock. It's no wonder that fishermen who pay for and maintain their own boats are sickened at the sight of this kind of carnage. Even if there were 40 anglers on that boat this is uncalled for.
Hope you and all the people you give them to, that throw them in the trash, are happy. Throw me off this forum if you guys want to but I'm personally disgusted.
Bellyup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2004, 08:48 PM   #17
Earl
Registered Users-pm+

Earl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Please explain to me what the difference it is when 3 people go on a 25' private boat and keep their 3 fish per person limit of YFT and 11 people (NOT 40) go on a headboat and keep their 3 fish limit?

Huh? I'm all ears....

If you want to get upset with someone, get upset with the longliners, gill netters, and purse seigners - THEY do damage to fish populations, not recreational fishermen including those on party/head boats.

I guess you are against San Diego style long range tuna trips as well...they've been doing it for 50 years and haven't damaged their resource (though the commercials have).

Earl

"
Hope you and all the people you give them to, that throw them in the trash, are happy. Throw me off this forum if you guys want to but I'm personally disgusted"

Last edited by Earl; 05-22-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2004, 08:18 AM   #18
RAMON
Registered Users-pm+

RAMON has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerRAMON has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerRAMON has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerRAMON has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerRAMON has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerRAMON has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerRAMON has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerRAMON has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerRAMON has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerRAMON has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerRAMON has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer
hey team sponge everyone on that boat took what they legaly could and I am sure that everyone of those fish were legal. but what head boats and private boats do to our resources is not even a fractuion of what comercial fisherman do to the waters. I am glad that you are passionate about our resorces but maybe you should start pouring your energy into getting the comercial overfishing and not bashing a group of hard working guys fine catch. dont get me wrong i am not jumping on you but these are a great group of guys with a lot of knowledge no to mention that most of them tag tuna for migration studies. I am the first person to raise hell if the fish is not legal and is being kept believe me I will have a game warden on them so fast their head will spin. stick around you will like it here.

Ramon
RAMON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2004, 09:59 AM   #19
teSos

teSos is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Looks like a great catch to me Snagged, congrats. Can you imagine what a picture would look like if all of us posted a picture togeter after a great flat week-end. I'm a firm believer in catch and eat. Thanks for the picture.

teSos
teSos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2004, 05:20 PM   #20
Snagged
Crabby Old Man

People, I wasn't the only one from this board on that trip.
Earl was there and managed NOT to throw any Avets overboard.
BellyUp was there and caught his share also.
My Thank's to Nate and the folks at Allcoast for allowing me along.