Marine Batteries - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 05-25-2004, 11:16 PM   #1
Newguy471

Newguy471 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Marine Batteries

Hello all, I have been viewing this board as a guest and it is a pleasure to be able communicate with such great fisherman. The reports you guys post absolutely make me sick since I havent fished since last August. My father and I are tired of Letting 4-5 ft choppers keep us in on Saturdays, so we are heading out this weekend no matter what. I would just like a little advice... We are going to replace our batteries in our boat. We run a dual battery system and I believe the ones in there right now are generic BPS or Academy brands. I would like to know if anyone has a real good experience with a particular brand. We've never had a problem, but we feel that it is the time to replace. Any input would help, thanks.
Newguy471 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2004, 06:58 AM   #2
Captfry
Just one More

Captfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to Pirate
Batteries, Lets see I have used brand names and non brand names. Anywhere from $35-$100 being from Wal-Mart, Die Hard, and Stowaway. They all seem to last the 2.5-3 yrs with proper maintenance of fluid level, being secured and not banging around in the boat. I assume you running a single engine so I would opt for a one dual purpose and the other a trolling or Deep cycle. Both will have enough cranking amps to start the motor and will have a slower discharge rate for running electronics. I think my next replacements will be the new Blue top or Yellow top Gel cell batteries from OPTIMA http://www.optimabatteries.com. They are twice the cost but are expected last twice as long both in discharge rate and life itself. Hope this helps, if you don't want to spend the extra money I would go with Stowaway they have higher amp per hour ratings.

Jason
Captfry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2004, 08:34 AM   #3
JOKERSWILD
From the old school

JOKERSWILD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJOKERSWILD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJOKERSWILD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJOKERSWILD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJOKERSWILD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJOKERSWILD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJOKERSWILD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJOKERSWILD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJOKERSWILD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJOKERSWILD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJOKERSWILD has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Go With Optima

I bit the bullet and put 2 in my offshore boat last season. They have impressed me thus far I put the red top ones in. Just a side note that made me do this,I know of a guy that has them in a 50 viking used to start 1300 hp manns and he had no problems in 2 years,of corse their are 12 in the boat but still cheeper than d8s
john
JOKERSWILD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
Blue N' Brew
Registered Users-pm+

Blue N' Brew has been promoted to PirateBlue N' Brew has been promoted to PirateBlue N' Brew has been promoted to PirateBlue N' Brew has been promoted to PirateBlue N' Brew has been promoted to PirateBlue N' Brew has been promoted to PirateBlue N' Brew has been promoted to PirateBlue N' Brew has been promoted to PirateBlue N' Brew has been promoted to PirateBlue N' Brew has been promoted to PirateBlue N' Brew has been promoted to Pirate
Optimas

I vote for the blue top Optimas as well. As a preventative maintence I replaced mine this year after 3 years in the boat. The old ones are still good and I put them in a tractor I have.

Chance
Blue N' Brew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2004, 09:15 AM   #5
JimN
Registered Users-pm+

JimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJimN has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
I have used the Optima blue and yellow tops for years. I wouldn't use anything else. They never leak anything.

Currently I am using two of the new yellow top D31's (900 CCA and 75Ah). The yellow top D31s only have studs so the installation was cleaner.

I replaced all of the leads with 1/0 to the switches and No. 2 to the engines. This made a huge difference in starting power.

Good luck,
Jim
JimN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
Newguy471

Newguy471 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thanks for the input guys, I'm going with the Optimas. I guess when it comes to preventive maitenance, a few extra buck could be well worth it. I guess 3 yrs is a good time switch them out if you're like me and make about 12-15 trips a summer?
Newguy471 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2004, 08:04 PM   #7
Dunc
Registered Users-pm+

Dunc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Dunc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Dunc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Dunc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Dunc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Dunc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Dunc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Dunc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Dunc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Dunc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Dunc is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Optimas are the bomb. I have 2 in my boat turning over a 225 Opti and never a problem, never any slow discharge, have never.. NEVER... hooked up a charger to the batteries, there simply is no need. They stay fully charged for up to 6 months at a time with no ill effects. They are simply amazing.
Dunc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2004, 10:38 PM   #8
MikeB
Registered Users-pm+

MikeB has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateMikeB has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateMikeB has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateMikeB has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateMikeB has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateMikeB has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateMikeB has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateMikeB has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateMikeB has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateMikeB has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateMikeB has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
the optimas a really sturdy batteries, i have run one for the last 9 years in various vehicles and on my pontoon boat and now it is in my dune buggy, more of a test of longevity than anything,but it has never let me down,and it is the original gates series before they became the optima. so i think you can expect a very long life out of them,also my daughters kids have run it clear dead twice over it life so far and it bounced right back. they are a very good investment.when the batteries in the motorhome go south, the replacements will be the optimas, just my humble opinon MikeB.

and this is the same battery i started out with.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #9
THROBINROD
Registered Users-pm+

THROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
By now, I think you have a clear bias toward Optimas. I run them in everything I own and have never had a dead one. The oldest one is 5 years old but i have a charter guide friend who is on his third boat with the same optima. Close your eyes, write the check, and be happy.
THROBINROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message