Tuna Questions - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 05-23-2004, 11:28 AM   #1
THROBINROD
Registered Users-pm+

THROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTHROBINROD has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Question Tuna Questions

A while back, I asked about spinning gear for tuna and got some excellent responses. The info is now lost. I remember someone recommended a Calstar rod but I don't remember the model. I was in Cutrate the other day and they didn't have a single Calstar rod in stock. Jerry Brown line was also recommended but the only color choices were bright yellow and white. Are other colors available? I would think the bright lines would be pretty visable to the fish. Where is the best place to shop for this stuff online? Cutrate is not only a little pricey but the help is not very helpful at times and they seem to have a knack for being out of a lot of the things I want.

Thanks
THROBINROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 12:02 PM   #2
Earl
Registered Users-pm+

Earl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of RiggerEarl has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I've never seen JB used in any color other than white - get it, it works. The mono or floro topshot or leader is used to conceal the spectra (and still works fine even when one isn't used - have seen many straight spectra caught fish).

Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by THROBINROD
A while back, I asked about spinning gear for tuna and got some excellent responses. The info is now lost. I remember someone recommended a Calstar rod but I don't remember the model. I was in Cutrate the other day and they didn't have a single Calstar rod in stock. Jerry Brown line was also recommended but the only color choices were bright yellow and white. Are other colors available? I would think the bright lines would be pretty visable to the fish. Where is the best place to shop for this stuff online? Cutrate is not only a little pricey but the help is not very helpful at times and they seem to have a knack for being out of a lot of the things I want.

Thanks
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
paddler

paddler is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
You can buy JB line online directly from Jery Brown or Basil's top shots. I belive those are the cheapest places to get it.

Mark
paddler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 01:07 PM   #4
mcgolfer
Registered Users-pm+

mcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
i can give you a source on the east coast where i purchase my jerry brown spectre. it is bhp tackle and you can usually get any size spool you want. he sells it by the yard. www.bhptackle.com on the site he shows you how to make top shots and general rigging information on the spectre.

on the allcoast board in the tackle forum there is a fellow that posts under the name themacs that will sell you jerry brown spectre. you can purchase directly from jerry brown industries and they are located in oregon.

www.saltwatertackle.com carries the calstar rods and so does www.charkbait.com also chaos rods make a very good spinning rod that isn't to expensive and it is rated for 15 to 50lb. thrier site is www.chaosrods.com another option would be to get a rod built on what ever blank you want by a local rod builder.

i don't know which cutrate you went to but the cutrate(fishing tackle unlimited) on i-45 at fiqua(sp) has one of the best selections of offshore gear in that part of the country....rick
mcgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message