A little pond management... - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Freshwater Fishing General Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #1
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
A little pond management...

and a whole lot of fun.

If you own a pond, manage a pond, or fish other's ponds, you probably know the importance of removing small bass...so you can grow big bass over 10 pounds. These were taken out this morning and several over 20 inches were released.

Small bass are a lot of fun on light tackle...and on a fly rod are an absolute blast. So it doesn't have to be a pain to remove the small ones....just go light.

I remove all up to 14 inches and release anything over 14 inches...except the trout and that's a special case.

Rainbow trout are perfect bass food...and pond owners can purchase them for forage from the same folks that provided T, P, &W the trout for their stocking program. Crystal Lakes out of SW Missouri has brought me rainbows for many years...and definitely will help you grow 10+ pound bass....but they are also fantastic eating for us humans also.
Attached Images

Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Ready.Fire.Aim
Registered Users-pm+

Location: Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
Ready.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to Pirate
Do you have a problem with anahingas( water turkeys) when you stock the rainbows?

Do you supplement feed the rainbows?

Thanks!
Ready.Fire.Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
Do you have a problem with anahingas( water turkeys) when you stock the rainbows?

Do you supplement feed the rainbows?

Thanks!
1. Not so much. Shad is the big attractant for water turkeys and my 12 gauge the best deterrent

2. No...I'm not really growing rainbows but growing 10+ pound bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 09:58 PM   #4
BrandonH
Registered Users-pm+

BrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to Pirate
Never would've thought about stocking trout. Are there specific water parameters or structure required for trout? Any tips on stocking rate? We have ponds ranging from 1/2 to 5 acres. We struggle taking enough small bass out, but try our best.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2020, 10:54 PM   #5
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
Never would've thought about stocking trout. Are there specific water parameters or structure required for trout? Any tips on stocking rate? ...
1) It just has to be cold enough. Crystal Lakes won't ship here until Dec, normally cause it just isn't cold enough here for trout until then. By March, the bass will have consumed them all...except for a few that we will enjoy, LOL.

2) It's expensive...so $ are the limiting factor for me. I rely on Tilapia for supplemental forage in the warmer months (April through November) but need the trout in some winters to help not only the bass but the blue gills they prey on. I don't stock them every year, just kind of based on how I judge the bass needs and how much protection the 'gills need.

I have 5 ponds with about 7-8 acres of water total. Can't stock them all with Trout because $ would be prohibitive. So, I concentrate on the "trophy" pond which has the most 10+ bass.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #6
SD Hawkins
Registered Users-pm+

SD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to Pirate
Good post. Years ago I had a good friend in Buffalo area and they were big cattle people and we were always going to feed somewhere around there and there were always stock ponds. They were not big fishers but I learned quick to take a rod. A lot of these ponds were full of cookie cutter 10-12 inchers. I would catch a 5 gallon bucket and take them to another pond that we had not caught anything out of ( on same land most of the time) We never caught them in ponds we placed them in, think it was bad water in some areas but the fishing improved siginificantly on the ones that we visited a lot. Taking 30-40 out made a big difference to me anyway.
SD Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
wwind3
Registered Users-pm+

wwind3 has been promoted to Piratewwind3 has been promoted to Piratewwind3 has been promoted to Piratewwind3 has been promoted to Piratewwind3 has been promoted to Piratewwind3 has been promoted to Piratewwind3 has been promoted to Piratewwind3 has been promoted to Piratewwind3 has been promoted to Piratewwind3 has been promoted to Piratewwind3 has been promoted to Pirate
always wondered if your pond mgmt programs run into the 14 inch limits on bass. Any probs taking smaller fish? I refer to eat the smaller bass-12 inches or so....but no can do any more...
wwind3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
creeker
Registered Users-pm+

creeker has been promoted to Piratecreeker has been promoted to Piratecreeker has been promoted to Piratecreeker has been promoted to Piratecreeker has been promoted to Piratecreeker has been promoted to Piratecreeker has been promoted to Piratecreeker has been promoted to Piratecreeker has been promoted to Piratecreeker has been promoted to Piratecreeker has been promoted to Pirate
What size of bass eats a 11-12" trout? Do you see the 4-6 lbers eating those?
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Hawkins View Post
... Taking 30-40 out made a big difference to me anyway.
Yes absolutely needs to be done in Texas ponds to grow larger bass.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwind3 View Post
... Any probs taking smaller fish? I refer to eat the smaller bass-12 inches or so......
No problem on private waters. If you want larger bass, you have to take out the small ones.

I agree the small bass are great eating...as good as anything that swims in fresh water including crappie, IMO. Rather than stock crappie in small ponds for eating(at the high probability of stunting and overpopulating) instead harvest and eat the small bass. I'd bet 99% of people couldn't tell the difference between a fried small bass fillet and a crappie. Both are delicious.