Rockport - It's Worse Than I Thought - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2020, 12:53 AM   #41
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrog2 View Post
POC, have you thought about being a commissioner for the Nav District? I mean this in all seriousness. You are obviously well informed and care about the area. Might be able to effect more change from within than without. Just a thought.

We have a plan.

I spoke with an attorney who has been pretty successful with some of these kinds of disputes with the government. I'm not saying any more about that on a public forum, because I know they are already aware of my efforts. Now it is "our" efforts, because there are others involved.

There are two Commissioner seats coming up for election this November. And there are two good candidates who will be running against the incumbents. I am figuring out how to set up a PAC so that we can spend pretty liberally on those two elections. I will block-walk the entire town, whatever it takes. The ONLY way to really change this is from within. I would run, but frankly these people know more than I do and could hit the ground running. There are five commissioners, so two seats won't be enough - but it's a start.

The problem is, by the time the election comes up, this breakwater issue will be decided one way or the other.

In case I haven't been clear, I don't want the community to lose out on this grant money. And I want us to have additional erosion control and drainage from that grant. I am confident that there is a solution where everybody wins.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2020, 01:23 AM   #42
pocjetty

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE View Post
If you have been along the shoreline of Aransas Bay during a high water event whether tropical storm, high winds and high water or just high winds and driven along the shoreline, you will have noticed water in the road and the shoulder of the road washing away. These rock breakwaters are probably a good idea, especially the way they are broken and staggered. Seasonally there is good trout and flounder fishing from the shore and I cannot see where these structures will do anything but help the shore fishing.

I've already written pages on this. Would it matter if I told you that numerous university studies say not to build a "living shoreline" this way? Or that the purpose of a "living shoreline" is to put the shoreline back on its original trajectory, not to try and create something that didn't exist before? Or that Richard Watson, one of the premier coastal geologists for decades, said that a revetment would be a much better solution? (That is what they installed on Bayshore Drive in Key Allegro, just a year or so ago.)

How about if I told you that NOAA's own website on living shorelines says explicitly that the cost to operate and maintain this exact configuration will be more than $500 per linear foot per year? Do the math. Pretty sure that's more than we spend now.

I'm a guy who does his homework. Would these breakwaters cut down on erosion? Yes. I wouldn't even think about disputing that. But you can't look at a decision in a vacuum, and that's what they have done. There are other solutions that would be effective, and wouldn't cause other new problems.
Cyanide is a cure for COVID. You won't suffer from the virus anymore, but that's not much comfort if you're dead.

There is a thing called "The Law Of Unintended Consequences". It is the idea that intervention into a complex system often brings unanticipated, and often undesirable outcomes. Prohibition was supposed to curb the use of harmful alcohol - it wound up causing organized crime to explode in this country. The government set aside huge amounts of forest lands, to protect them from forest fires - but that wound up creating so much growth that when there are fires, they are much worse.

Marine habitat is a very, very complex system. We have something that works right now, and they want to replace it with something totally artificial. There is another saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm about done here. Some of you are arguing about stuff you haven't researched. Shooting from the hip. My goal was to get some voices added to my own. Hopefully get some names on a petition, if it comes to that. If you like living with the entire Aransas Bay shoreline walled off, this is the plan for you. I'm going to work on getting them to go a different direction.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #43
nonstop
Registered Users-pm+

nonstop is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Please keep us up to date. I do not live there but visit frequently and am in the process of acquiring property there. This is affecting some of my decisions and I think this will greatly affect the community and property values.

Jason

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2020, 01:24 PM   #44
pocjetty

Update:

The Navigation District meeting this morning went well. A good number of fishermen showed up to add weight to the argument, which I think helped a lot. They don't usually see that many people at the meetings, so it definitely got their attention.

They were scheduled to vote on a measure that would have given the green light to start the project, so it was important that we were there today. I had pushed several local government officials, and it seemed pretty apparent that they had reached out to the Nav District in advance. It all got things moving in our direction from the start.

Some of the Commissioners said that they are actively against the project, as it is currently designed. The others were less vocal, but still gave the impression that the pictures are not what they thought was going to happen.
So far, I haven't found a single person who is in favor, other than the engineer and the project manager. And yet, they seem to be running the show.

So here's where it stands: The Nav District agreed to table the approval of the measure to allow things to proceed. They also agreed to hold a public meeting with an opportunity for people to be heard and (hopefully) influence the process. Before we concluded, they understood that the project they are proposing is not what was permitted by the Corps of Engineers, and they recognized that it could be a problem.

For those who asked how you can help: They are going to schedule this public meeting soon. They asked me to get people to come. I made sure to say that tourists/visitors are also stakeholders, and they told me to ask whoever is interested. This will be a VERY important meeting. If there is a groundswell of public opposition, I believe that they will react. So every person who can attend will be important.

I will update here when they set a date for the meeting. At least we have a seat at the table now.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #45
brickbat
Registered Users-pm+

brickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Rockport

POC,

keep us updated, your efforts seem to be paying off. Hope you're sleeping more, getting some rest.

brickbat
brickbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #46
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
You've probably already covered these trails yourself as I know how good you are about looking into this stuff but just in case, get with the COE and see what they know or not about the 'changes' to the plan. Find out why all the residents weren't notified during the public comment period for the original coe permit to allow the fill. Granted most things like this usually get missed by who should be stake holders but you might have some angle with that if they didn't notify the residents of POC. possibly. There will certainly be more sea grass lost under the current plan... ask how is this being mitigated? maybe there is another way to build them further out where they would dissipate sufficient energy and make good trout, redfish, and flounder edge structure .. instead of putting them as close to the shoreline as is shown. In my humble scientific opinion (I was once a Registered State Geoscientist specializing in Wetland and aquatic resources) ... these structures.. if built need to be further off the shoreline outside the zone where current seagrass is already growing.. (but not so far that larger wave energy is allow to build again and thus erode the shoreline).

Also, what temporary measures are they going to use to protect the existing seagrass while they track hoe all this rock out there?

I think the rocks will be great habitat and be a good thing for the shoreline.. IF done correctly and far enough out and while not degrading the current habitat of the shoreline. They'll also be great fishing.. will they detract from the view.. yeah some.. Im sure someone will wreck a center console on them as well.