New boat owner advice - Page 4 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #31
Hunter682
Registered Users-pm+

Hunter682 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I would take the Coast Guard safety course. It will teach you boat safety, etc. Especially since you are a new boat owner.
Step 1. Learn your boat and the water.
Step 2. Learn the area your going to fish.
Totally agree on going to the jetty. The water and wind can change quick and the shipping traffic causes lot of rough water at times.
Hunter682 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #32
Sjones145
Registered Users-pm+

Sjones145 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter682 View Post
I would take the Coast Guard safety course. It will teach you boat safety, etc. Especially since you are a new boat owner.
Step 1. Learn your boat and the water.
Step 2. Learn the area your going to fish.
Totally agree on going to the jetty. The water and wind can change quick and the shipping traffic causes lot of rough water at times.
Thank you
I did take the course and passed 🙂

Real test is application of the info in live situations
Sjones145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #33
RUFcaptain
Registered Users-pm+

RUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to Pirate
Don’t worry about hitting the jetties right away, learn the bay first. “Stuff” happens at the jetty, not a good place for a new boat/ owner, I would stay clear of Texas City dyke as well.
RUFcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #34
Sjones145
Registered Users-pm+

Sjones145 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
UPDATE
Last Friday, we spent five hours with Captain Steve Gremillion and it was worth every penny! We met Steve at the Texas City Dike and spent almost two hours (although it didn’t feel like it) on land. He provided recommendations on things we haven’t even thought of from dielectric grease for screws on the hull to fuel water separator to stabilizing bars for the outboard when trailering, we took tons of notes and will heed his advice. We also saw, first-hand, what many of you have posted about the dramatic swings in water levels at the dike as ships are passing through. We are still very much a novice but, at least, we know not to launch if we see the ships more or less in a 160 degree or so view. Then, we spent 3 hours on the water... went thru the full bay from east jetties to south to north and eventually back to TCD. I was amazed at the wave heights as Captain took us around the south jetties. The boat handled them just fine, of course, Capt Steve was at helm. We won’t try that route for quite sometime; however, we learned the valuable lesson of surfing the big waves going back. He also taught us about not gingerly going thru boat cut at the north side because of the currents. We anchored at the first set of jetties nearest the cruise ship channel. That’s probably where we will start before venturing out further but that does seem to be a better spot than Clear Lake. There was so much helpful information that he provided, just not enough room to write about it all. Good news is that we feel more confident about going into the bay but will take baby steps. Those waters and boating need to be taken seriously. I wish all first time boat owners would go out with guides.. so much to learn! So, thanks again to everyone for the advice and thanks to Captain Steve for sharing a wealth of information!!
Sjones145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #35
That Robbie Guy
Registered Users-pm+

That Robbie Guy has disabled reputation
Thanks for the link.

The Online Course offered by BoatUS is free:
http://www.boatus.org/texas/

... i'm going to go ahead and take this next time i'm home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tuna View Post
I would suggest a Boater Safety Course. Preferably one that you attend in person, but at a minimum the online course.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/boater-education

There is a lot to learn. Take your time and take experienced people with you if you can. There is a reason that there are so many hours of on the water experience required to get a captain's license.
That Robbie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #36
2310Ranger
Registered Users-pm+

2310Ranger is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjones145 View Post
UPDATE
Last Friday, we spent five hours with Captain Steve Gremillion and it was worth every penny! We met Steve at the Texas City Dike and spent almost two hours (although it didn’t feel like it) on land. He provided recommendations on things we haven’t even thought of from dielectric grease for screws on the hull to fuel water separator to stabilizing bars for the outboard when trailering, we took tons of notes and will heed his advice. We also saw, first-hand, what many of you have posted about the dramatic swings in water levels at the dike as ships are passing through. We are still very much a novice but, at least, we know not to launch if we see the ships more or less in a 160 degree or so view. Then, we spent 3 hours on the water... went thru the full bay from east jetties to south to north and eventually back to TCD. I was amazed at the wave heights as Captain took us around the south jetties. The boat handled them just fine, of course, Capt Steve was at helm. We won’t try that route for quite sometime; however, we learned the valuable lesson of surfing the big waves going back. He also taught us about not gingerly going thru boat cut at the north side because of the currents. We anchored at the first set of jetties nearest the cruise ship channel. That’s probably where we will start before venturing out further but that does seem to be a better spot than Clear Lake. There was so much helpful information that he provided, just not enough room to write about it all. Good news is that we feel more confident about going into the bay but will take baby steps. Those waters and boating need to be taken seriously. I wish all first time boat owners would go out with guides.. so much to learn! So, thanks again to everyone for the advice and thanks to Captain Steve for sharing a wealth of information!!
Thats is an awesome report...glad y'all had fun and Capt. Steve sounds like an excellent instructor!
2310Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #37
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Yall were great! Thanks for the kind words. Thanks for taking the coaching. It's a lot.... most of that experience comes from messing up several boats.... and the experience at the helm comes from being scared to death in numerous situations.

I agree.... I wish all new boaters would go with someone very experienced several times and learn what to do and more importantly what to be ready for. Most of the advice in the above posts comes from doing it wrong, lucky to come out of it unscathed, and helping others not get in the same trouble.

Enjoy your new boat!!! Come back and tell us about your fishing and boating adventures. Let me know if anything I can do.... good luck!
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message