2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Venice, La offshore charter split

25K views 120 replies 19 participants last post by  MayaWilson 
#1 ·
Venice spring break charter
Anyone want to put together a tuna Charter out of Venice in March? How about Saturday March 31st?

#35 ·
Great! I think we have at least 5 or 6 guys that are serious about catching some very big Yellowfin tuna. I will call a few charters and see the availability for October if that is still what works best for everyone. If anyone has a preference on which weekend in October or a certain charter outfit speak up please. If we want to get things scheduled, we could each call the selected charter and put down a deposit to hold position. First come first serve style. For those interested, what is your vote on day trip or overnighter? The day trip is cheaper and gives us a greater chance to make this trip happen but either works for me.

#37 ·
With a group of 5-6 I'd favor an overnight, but I'm flexible for day trips as well if that's the consensus - as you say, it also may give us the option of doing a trip a day later if weather cancels a charter. My thought was just that if I drive all the way there from Central TX, I may as well get as many hours of fishing time as I can.

#40 ·
October is a very popular time to hit the tuna at peak season and charters are already booking and filling up. I was able to secure October 13th with a $500 deposit which applies to the fuel and tip as well. The charter is Voodoo and the captain will be Chris Helveston on a 39' Yellowfin with quads (4 outboards to get to the tuna grounds very quickly to do battle). We can secure the 14th as well if everyone wants to. It is not recommended to do the overnight because you can only have one limit of tuna aboard for each angler. If we catch the big boys, we will take them in, empty the fish boxes, get some rest, ice up and do it again. The reservation is under my name Kase Bethel. My contact is kaseneil@gmail.com if you have any questions. This is first come first serve so when you are ready, call Brittany at Voodoo charters at 504-920-3474.

#42 ·
The price for 2 day is about the same as overnight trip. 2day let's us get double the tuna. The charter recommends but we could change it to overnight if everyone really wants. Feel free to discuss details of both with charter outfit or myself.

#43 ·
She said everyone should call her before departure of their home and they will make a firm go or no-go decision based on the weather. She said it's a good idea to take baby steps with a group this large and get everybody locked in for the 13th first and then if we all want to do the 14th we can move on to lock that.

#45 ·
Just for thought. I've done this trip from Houston several times. It is about a 7hr drive from Houston to Venice, so leaving the day of the fishing trip is not feasible. If you fish on the 14th, driving back that day is not advised. So either way, there will be a night spent in a hotel and a missed day of work, if not two, depending on how many days are spent fishing.

#46 ·
If you want to get your spot, you must hold it with Brittany at Voodoo. She said she is ok with checking in with her a few days in advance about the weather and then again before you leave your home for the go no go decision. If the weather doesn't allow, your deposit will be applied to future charter.

#61 · (Edited)
Going to drive from Houston the evening before. Need to call the outfitter to see if they have accommodations or if I need to get a hotel in New Orleans. Bringing a quality popping setup along with some Halco poppers, some limited terminal tackle. Might bring a jigging setup although I suspect the only jigging will be done to catch blackfin for bait. Boat should have good chunking tackle and fighting belts.

http://www.voodoofishingcharters.com/lodging-rates/

I'm in if everyone wants to use their lodging and split the expense. Would be a really convenient that way.

#62 ·
There are a few close places to stay Friday and Saturday night. Cypress cove lodge has rooms for $120 a night, some of the other places are a few dollars cheaper. I may drag my kayak over to get a little fishing in Friday afternoon, haven’t decided yet. I will be using whatever tackle they provide on the boat, should be ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.