2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Venice, La offshore charter split

25K views 120 replies 19 participants last post by  MayaWilson 
#1 ·
Venice spring break charter
Anyone want to put together a tuna Charter out of Venice in March? How about Saturday March 31st?

#9 ·
Fall is a great time for Yellowfin when the fish come in closer to follow behind shrimp boats to feed on the bycatch. Winter has great action on "the lump". Venice is a very phenomenal fishery year round though. There are several good Charter outfits that will consistently get on the fish no matter what time of year it is.

#17 ·
Charter will run around $2,200 for max of 6 people. I say around because there are several charter outfits and some include fuel in the price and some don't. $2,200 is a fair price to guess with fuel. The shortest runs offshore generally will be from now until end of March which is to the Lump. Summer is longer runs to floating rigs. Late August until November is shorter runs if shrimp boats are around. So if we can get 6 guys we can divide $2,200 by 6. That is $366.66 per person plus tip.

#30 ·
Quick question - what do you have in mind for the trip? The day trips that chase the shrimp boats run under 2K (plus cost of fuel), while overnight trips run an additional 1K. I'd be up for either, with a big enough group, perhaps we could do either 2 day trips or a single long overnight.

I think I'll be up for any weekend in October, so count me in. If we do the night trip, the weekend closest to the new moon would be best. On the shrimp boat day trips, I don't think the moon phase matters much.

The other thing to consider is that if we book a trip for specific day, there's always the possibility of a weather cancelation. That means leaving options open to reschedule for an open Monday or Tuesday if (say) a Saturday-Sunday trip is canceled. That's especially true for those coming in from far away.

#31 ·
No shrimp boat chasing out of Venice, just flat out tuna fishing day and night. A full day would be plenty to catch your limit of yellowfin along with a mixed bag of other species. Full day or overnight'r is fine with me.

#32 ·
Some of the biggest yellowfin tuna of the year are caught behind the shrimp boats that generally come in closer during the fall season as they feed on the shrimpers bycatch. I am open to an overnight trip if that is what everyone wants to do or a day trip. Overnight trip would be cool to have a greater opportunity for getting in on a topwater bite. Nothing like seeing massive tuna leaping out of the water or exploding on a very large popper. Might be a good idea for everyone to put in their vote on what charter outfit we should go with and for day or overnight trip. After we get that nailed down we could see what that charter's cancellation or backup plan would be for weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.