2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Majek 20-V Rebuild

78K views 146 replies 54 participants last post by  fishtrap 
#1 ·
Wanted to get a thread started on my upcoming project...

Looking to completely rebuild a 1992 Majek 20V that I picked up at the end of last summer. Have been working with NW Fiberglass in Tomball and Majek on the pre-job planning...about to get things going.

Can't say enough about the time that both Jimmy Majek and Danny Miller (NW Fiberglass) have spent talking and working with me on this upcoming project.

Will keep everyone posted of the progress with pictures...in the meantime, I wanted to post some of the pictures of the boat "as is", prior to any work being done.

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
More progress before the weekend...

- New trailer is here...

- New leaning post is complete...

- Front deck has been sanded/ground down to blend hatch seams...

- Interior of boat has first coat of color, 2nd coat & webbing to follow...

More next week!

Attachments

#62 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone...I am more than ready to get this done.

Great point regarding the hatches ability to properly drain Stuart...I will look into this.

OffshoreChris, the motor that came with the boat is a 200 Magnum EFI Mariner. I am going to tune it up and try to get some use out of it...the boat performs very well with the motor and considering the weight, it is right at the weight or lighter than any current model 150 HP engine out there (which is actually what the hull is rated for) but should provide more top end and a better hole shot...we will see. If I have to upgrade the motor in the short term I am going with either the Mercury Pro XS or the new Mercury 4 stroke (that is unless I can find a deal on a used Yamaha 150...). Honestly, I was hoping to wait & see if Yamaha is ever going to introduce a 150 SHO...that would be awesome!

New updates for the rebuild are as follows...

Deck hatches have been cored and painted to match the initial primer coat to the hull.

These guys at NW Fiberglass are awesome and really want to make sure I am 100% pleased with the finished product. They basically primed the interior with a lighter color and allowed me to inspect it to ID any rough spots, and/or seams before painting in the darker grey color pattern and adding the webbing (which we all know is very capable of helping to "hide" minor surface imperfections)...they even showed me what to look for by pointing out several spots that they felt needed extra attention.

The next step is to sand, grind, fill and add the darker coat. Deck hardware (SS pop up cleats, compression latches, hinges, rub rail, etc.) should not be too fare behind.

Cant wait...

Attachments

#68 ·
Fishtrap,

Got to see yours in person a few weeks ago. Great looking boat with a ton of room. Boat looks alot bigger than 20'.

Also, totally agree with you on Northwest Fiberglass. They did a great job with very fair price, and very easy to work with. I had trouble getting out of there becuase Danny's good at bs'ing, very nice guy.

Anyhow, hope you can get this thing rigged and ready to go soon.

#69 ·
Thanks to everyone for following the post and adding the kind the comments...

Sorry for the silence lately but not much has really happened with the rebuild. The hull is now off the trailer and the exterior hull polishing and restoration is commencing.

Will post new pictures as soon as enough progress is made. I am ready to go fishing!

#71 ·
Well, thanks for the patience...this update (although minor) has been a long time coming.

Boat has been going through some major surface repair (mostly all cosmetic) on the hulls underside.

The gelcoat has been wet sanded & buffed and NW fiberglass is in the process of repairing the minor chips and dings that nearly 20 years of use will get you. Black boot stripe has been added (was originally royal blue) and is awaiting final sand and polish...almost there.

Attachments

#75 ·
Majek 20-V rebuild

Basscat/SS Wraps...

At first I was thinking about unloading the motor and starting over fresh with a new 150...after some debate, I have decided to go to a pre-mix setup and run the skirt off this one instead.

If something changes or I separate down the road, I will let you know.

BTW, Since you both have some experience with these OB's, what do you guys think about the reliability of sticking with the oil injection? I am 99% sure Premix is the way to go but figured I would ask.

#76 ·
we had a a 95 and 96 basscat p2 with the 150 and a 97 p2 with 200 and a 98 and 99 p3 with 200 all were the mariner mags. we sold the 97 and 98 to some guys we no and since then they have both repower the 97 put a new 03 200 merc efi and the 98 put a 09 200 proxs and both lost a few mph off topend... idn why but we have tryed everything and they just wont run as hard as the mariner would. and both were ****** since nuthing was wrong with the old motors. the mariners where somewhat i guess you would say in its time the hoped up version of the mercs. i have nuthing but good things to say about them. they all ran hard and fast for us. if merc still sold mariners in the states my new baycat would have one hanging off of it. if it was my boat. i would put it back on there if its still running good and in good condition. if that motor was taken care of its a strong motor. just my 2c but there is never anything wrong with putting a new motor on a boat. and a new motor will hopefully be more reliable since that motor is after all 15 to 16 years old

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.