2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Best way to learn Bluewater

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  My Little Big boat 
#1 ·
Whats the best way to get started? After watching the Justified video I am certain that I want to learn.

I have gone with Captain Monty out of freeport before as a kid and loved it so I think I am going to try to learn it a little.

#3 ·
i figured that just from being on the boats. if i was to buy a boat would some of you experienced guy be willing to come out a few times and teach me a few things? I know one guy personally that has done some long runs out and caught fish but he works about 362 days out of the year now it seems.

#10 ·
Bluewater or just offshore?

Bluewater is usually a good ways out but if you are just talking offshore then just start shallow and work your way out.. Nowadays I rarely run less than 75 miles but when I first started I had a blast fishing anywhere from the first rigs to the VA Fogg..enjoy

#11 ·
Learning takes time on the water. The more time you have the better. I would suggest being part of someone's crew any chance you get. I still learn things all the time whether it's my boat bringing new folks or fishing as crew on someone else's. Learning as crew also affords you the ability to ride and fish in many different types and styles before you plunk down the money. There are pros and cons of EVERY boat out there. Don't let anyone tell you any differently. Spend as much time on as many as you can and see what fits your needs the best.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.