2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Fund recommendations

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  habanerojooz 
#1 ·
I am looking for four or five funds to invest in for the long haul. I’m planning to open a fidelity account and not planning on any active trading. I’ve got about a twenty year timeframe until I may need the money. Over the long haul I would like to average 6-10% returns. I am personally tired of using a “professional” who calls 3-4 times a year recommending a change in strategy. I would rather find a few good funds and live with market fluctuations. Any recommendations would surely be appreciated.

#3 ·
Big mega cap names have done well ... but how much longer will they continue to sell at over valued prices?

SPY - top 50 names make up 50% of the index ...
QQQ - tech heavyweights .... (remember the Dot Com bubble)

#4 ·
I'm no professional at this but on top of my other IRAs I just opened a Roth IRA last month and plan to use these for it. My other Rollover IRAs are what I have been actively trading in stocks. The Roth I want to only check in on it yearly. I have not bought any of these yet as I am still researching and it looks like it's in a downward trend currently. My guess is as long as Trump gets re-elected it will start to go up again. Other more seasoned guys may be able to advise on this.

FBGRX
FDSVX
FOCPX
FTRNX
FTQGX

#6 · (Edited)
......Other more seasoned guys may be able to advise on this.

FBGRX
FDSVX
FOCPX
FTRNX
FTQGX
Go to each of them... and look at the holdings

From a glance they seem to be holding a lot of the same names...

And a 60-80 basis point expense ratio seems high

SPY the s&p index and the QQQ are very cheap compared to them

Bonds aka Fixed income will help for balance ....

Go look at
PBND for bonds
Or
PBUS for large cap stocks
....but look at what it cost to own them (exp ratio)

#8 ·
An amateur speaking here.
Since you will be holding these in a Roth you should hold your riskier assets with a higher potential for reward in the Roth and have your more conservative assets in your other portfolios.
The reason being that if the riskier assets pay off the gain is tax free in the Roth, in the regular IRA the gains will be taxed .
Since you probably want a mix of conservative and riskier assets in your overall portfolio it makes sense to have the riskier assets with a higher reward potential in the Roth.
Unless everything goes to garbage then nothing makes sense.
This is just something to consider and my own opinion.

#9 ·
VOO

This is the Vanguard 500 Index fund that tracks the S&P 500. It has relatively low expenses compared to other similar tracking ETFs. VOO is the index that Warren Buffett cited when he said that most people would be better off just buying an ETF that tracks the S&P rather than use a professional money manager.

Allegedly, Warren previously had a $1M bet for any fund managers that could beat that VOO ETF returns for a year. I heard one firm took on the bet but conceded before the term was over.

This is not a recommendation. Only an option to consider if you’re wanting an S&P 500 tracking ETF with low fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.