2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Retail vs. Institutional activity

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  redexpress 
#1 · (Edited)
My well known financial advisor sold pretty deep into the market fall. I'm down $150,000. Replaced a somewhat balanced portfolio with Treasury ETF, gold miners, and $150,000 cash. I about blew a gasket Their response was they think it will go lower. All, most, of the activity is retail investors with very little institutional buying was their reasoning.
Yeah whatever, the market is still up and getting closer to the pre crash highs.
So selling low and buying high. I'm trying to rationalize it by thinking that whenever they get back in I will be able to see the markets go higher.
I'm also thinking of shopping for a new advisor.
Y'alls thoughts?

#3 ·
To make sure everyone understands the difference between Retail and Institutional

In short- the Individual investors are retail (weather you buy it yourself or through an advisor)
Institutional- is considered money managers that buy for Example: their mutual fund
- I can’t say why a fund might not be buying, but as a pure guess they don’t have the cash to buy, and the fund managers didn’t sell on the drop or the bottom
On top of that - they likely had redemption for clients going to cash

This is all very broad generalizations and not intended to be advice.

Your not the only one shopping for an new advisor- I am seeing a ton of money moving To and From FA’s....

#4 ·
I guess they (Ameriprise) have good handle on individual vs. institution buying. My argument to them was that if they had bought a few weeks ago somewhere near where the bottom was, even if the market fell again it would have to go back through that spot on the way up. But now if it doesn't fall again I missed a huge buying opportunity. I sold at the highs before the 2008 crash and got back in at the bottom. I just got in their "managed accounts" last year. To be clear, this Ameriprise shop is likely the biggest in Houston and is good about not loading me up with Ameriprise funds. Actually I don't think they ever sold me any. I was in Fidelity through my employer for 35 years. That was back when they claimed they couldn't give investment advice. I did it myself. I'm thinking about going back to that. Between wind and floods I can't fish anyway. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.