2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

What is your opinion about Edward Jones

5K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  fishinguy 
#1 ·
I have used my local Edward Jones office for several years and I get OK returns but I am not sure. They have a lot of fancy charts they show me that indicate 8% to 16% returns but when I look at my account I am not sure if I see what they see. Send me some advice or tell me why I am OK with Edward Jones.

#2 ·
Edward Jones

I had a personal savings account at Edward Jones and I was making better returns with another personal fidelity and my 401k Brokeragelink through Fidelity and not getting hosed on “Fees”. Straw that broke the camel’s back, I called and wanted to purchase a particular stock at Edward Jones and I was told
that they are not recommended to sell the stock and my agent told me he didn’t get paid commission on it. That’s when I went to fidelity and had all the money transferred over from Edward Jones to Fidelity.

#4 ·
I have several interests with them, basically broad spectrum stuff. They are easy to deal with and I have good returns. But I direct the course, not them and I don't often take their advice without research. My guy knows it, so he doesn't push it. Much like anything else, it is all about the individual you are in direct contact with and how good they are.

#5 ·
EJ seems to be a good fit for investors who might not have over 500K where the big places consider you a burden.

As with any where there are good ones and new inexperienced advisors who do what the higher ups want or are trying to meet a number.

If you get a good one stay with him....if you are not comfortable with the one you have look for another one with EJ.

All of the firms have their pros and cons....... but when your not a high net worth investor your limited with the big firms for good service.

Was there something your trying to specifically do...or needing?

#6 ·
I’ve been with EJ since 2002 and have done really well. I interviewed a bunch of firms before I went with my advisor. We sat down and developed a plan that was sound and I was comfortable with, we have made changes over the years but nothing drastic. We meet once a quarter and he is just a phone call away.
Since you have concerns, sit down with your advisor and have him explain everything to you, then you can decide whether you need to look elsewhere or adjust your financial plan.

#7 ·
Over the last year or so, I've gotten some firsthand experience with EJ. My wife inherited some assets from her dad that he held at EJ and used their advice. I'm a pretty knowledgeable and successful investor and was shocked at virtually all of the holdings--totally inappropriate for a retiree. I couldn't figure out why most of the holdings were there until I investigated the commissions--off the charts ridiculously high! The advisor clearly recommended them for the fees he earned, not for the client's benefit. After showing my wife what had been going on, we transferred all the assets to Fidelity who has an outstanding trading platform.

Here's the advice I would give: If you're a DIY investor, Fidelity, Schwab, eTrade, e.g., all have solid trading platforms although I prefer Fidelity. They offer investment advice if you want it, but let you DIY if that's how you roll. If you're an investor who wants a professional investment advisor, then find one you trust, understand what they're recommending and why, and watch their fees like a hawk. My bottom line is there are very few advisors who will treat your money as carefully as you will.

#9 ·
My family and I have several accounts with Edward Jones. While I do like and use their stock research opinions and the monthly stock tables with their buy/hold and stock focus list, I also choose some of my own stocks. My brokers do not call me pushing stocks ever, I told each of them from the beginning not to do that. I also like that all of them are very active in the community. Over the years of doing tax returns, I have seen some really bad things from a variety of brokerage firms, all of the big names you are familiar with (my fave was a Merrill Lynch broker who had trading authority on an account telling the client who had around $50,000 in losses that he did that so he would have a tax deduction!), but I have never seen any issue with Edward Jones.

#10 ·
Dump EJ like a hot potato and educate yourself on investing. It doesn't take much time or effort to self direct and the rewards are MUCH better than whatever gains I ever saw with EJ in the 6 years I was with them. Create a balanced portfolio in line with your situation and expectations, invest, check it quarterly, adjust if needed and sleep well at night.

#15 ·
I recently opened an account at EJ because I had to leave where I was and didn’t know any better. My goal for 2019 is to move it all to fidelity (wife’s 401K is there too) or Vanguard.

I knew their rates were high when I went there but know nothing about investing and figured it was better to overpay someone who did until I could get my head wrapped around this.

I’ve been reading this and looks to me like I can save $$ by self managing at Fidelity or Vangaurd once I get up to speed. I’m within a few years of retirement and half my funds/assets are wrapped up here, I need to be careful :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.