2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

AMZN

39K views 143 replies 29 participants last post by  fishinguy 
#1 ·
Over 622.
Greatest stock ever.

#34 ·
Perhaps not quite a monopoly in the purest sense, but AMZN is steamrolling along and changing the game.

Other companies/industries may soon begin to moan about anticompetitive behavior (defn. stifling or suppressing competition). Some will shrug their shoulders and say that is normal for an open market capitalistic society. Right or wrong, all that it takes is one lawsuit and some powerful lobbyists to put a big dent in your position.

CNBC reported today about AMZN's deal with Sears to carry Kennmore appliances. This announcement wiped a combined $13B off the books of major appliance brick and mortar stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy). I don't see those stores going away, but you can see the power that AMZN has. You're also going to hear more about a deal that Nike has made with AMZN. I wonder if the other athletic shoe companies will take a similar 1-day hit.

I side with what older37 said, be careful.

The climb you took has been exciting. Don't let that excitement cloud your judgement.

'Hope' is not a strategy.

#35 ·
Lawsuits are part of doing business. BP paid out billions for the leak and is still going strong. Big tobacco has as well. And tons of legal fees on top of that. As long as you have the cash flow, it won't ruin you.

Used to hear how Walmart was going to kill the little guy and sure some of that happened. But it was killing those who probably shouldn't have been in business anyway. A lot of what is going on in retail (closing of big box stores) is to be expected because of how times have changed. We don't have door to door encyclopedia sales, or tv repairmen, or milkmen, or typewriters anymore. Online sales have been the trend and will continue to be so. I think the hit taken by the major appliance stores was an overreaction. I agree with you that Lowes and Home Depot aren't going anywhere. Too much of what they sell won't fit the Amazon model. They might quit selling appliances at some point. I am not sure whether Best Buy will be around nearly as long though.

I do agree with being careful. Our family doesn't own a large amount of Amazon but what we do own we have stop loss orders in place.

Who would have thought back when I first started investing in stocks there would be something trading at over $1,000 a share!

#36 ·
The point brought up about a monopoly wasn't about a lawsuit itself, but more about the impact to your equity position if something happens. Also, things other than lawsuits can hurt a lot. Just ask those who survived the big crash in the early 2000's (me).

AMZN is not going away, but will its stock stay at its current levels? As you probably know, there are long positions and short positions. The voices on both sides of that fence have convincing arguments for their position.

I once read a comment from an experienced investor that made a lot of sense to me...."The stock market is an extremely effective mechanism for the transfer of wealth from the smart, to the not so smart". I dabble in the market with my trading account and I have both lost and made money on positions. But since I'm not a professional trader that trades for a living, I consider myself in the not so smart camp.

$10 per share? $1,000 per share? A higher share price only means that you have more at risk. The quantifiable measure that counts to me is not the price of the stock today, but what percentage has my stake increased by, relative to the price that I bought in at.

I've learned that I should put as much time and effort into planning (and follow-thru on) my exit strategy as I do my entry strategy. Emotion clouds my judgement and hope is not a strategy. Risk mitigation is the key.

This is not advice as I'm only sharing what I've learned. And know that FWIW, this comes from somebody that puts himself in the 'not so smart camp'. :)

#37 ·
lol sometimes I am in the smart camp and sometimes I am in the not so smart camp. Far too often I have had very decent gains in stocks and let them sink below where I bought them. For me it is easier to know when to buy than when to sell. I don't actively trade but try to buy on days when the market moves significantly lower. I put a good bit of money (for me at least) in the market when it tanked due to the Brexit vote.

I did put a stop loss order with regard to AMZN and wish I had always made a practice of doing that when I had nice gains. There is no reason not to, though I was guilty of not doing it.

#38 ·
All well put guys. Count me as one of the not so smart.
That said, since I began competing against by financial advisor in 2015 who beats the S&P 500 in his growth of my portfolio, I have trounced him in part due to Amazon.

I am glad to not be sitting on the sidelines with AMZN.
My advisor began buying it in 2009 and I began in 2014 and accelerated in 2015 and since. I have had faster gains on other stocks but if I had to choose one stock to hitch my wagon to it'd be Amazon.
It is not going anywhere, and is not a new tech company bursting into a new tech industry. It is woven into the fiber of the world and bolstering that mesh daily.

If Amazon went to zero tomorrow it would not be devastating for me. But it will not, and is up 26% in 6 months, 43% in last 12 months, 242% in last 3 yrs, and 378% in last 5 years.
The sky isn't falling on this one.

#40 ·
Putting a stop loss on a position is a smart way to mitigate risk, especially on stocks that trade after hours. Even if you trade for a living, it's difficult to monitor and manage your position 24 hrs a day. Also, you can set several stop losses at different prices so that you don't dump your entire position on one negative market move. Stuff you probably know. Just providing commentary for the lurkers out there.

I've been in MU for several years. I bought in once. If I cashed out today, I'm up 400%. I like the company but I'll dump it in a heartbeat if a dramatic drop occurs.

Even this not so smart person finds a nut now and then. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#41 ·
Good points on the use of multiple stops. I had a decent profit in AMZN so used the stop loss. And I needed to get some cash in case we have another huge down day in the markets. Like after the Brexit vote.

Too often I have let decent profits a(nd indecent profits) wither away by not selling. Atwood being one of those I wish I had used stop loss orders with, lol. Also using stop loss orders with Canadian Pacific Railway and U. S. Silica so as to not give up those gains.

#51 ·
Budreau-

What is your point of that dividend question again? No they do not, but you already knew that. What are you trying to say?

AMZN grew in value 60% in the last 12 months and 318% in the last 3 years. Up 11.61% in 11 days YTD. Nothing wrong with dividend stocks. Bring your recommendations.

#53 ·
I stayed away for a long time because they are overpriced, the PE ratio is out of wack with their piers, etc. I finally bought at $1300, that first group is up almost 50% in less than 6 months. I have since bought more at $1500 and at $1790.

I am hoping for a split soon; many people stay away because of the price and I think there would be a rapid increase after a split especially if it is a 1:10.

#54 ·
I'm with you on that! That's easily take my 100% annual returns to 250%.

In years I have not found a better performer. I've found some that perform better in the short term and then flame out.
My Robinhood platform has AMZN rated as a 98% buy.

A stock split would definitely get me buying more. I keep forcing myself to diversify but AMZN always beats everything.

#59 ·
I would have said llastmonth, last week, or the week before, or this week. But don't ask me man.
Right now it's up 20 cents in after hrs trading.
Hopefully foreign markets grab the ball and run with it overnight.
It'd be hard to imagine no profit taking tomorrow or Friday.
I remember someone came on 2cool last year when it was just over 900 and asked where to invest 10k. I told him wait till ot dips under 9 and put it all on amzn.
I dont think it ever dipped back under 900 after breaching that mark.

Hopefully we'll see it over 2500 by end of December.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.