2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

What would you do with $25k - $30k short term?

11K views 47 replies 8 participants last post by  cman 
#1 ·
I've got some cash that I might need but, I don't want to just leave in the savings account. If I need it, there will be time to liquidate whatever it's invested in. Where would you guys put to get some return with reasonably low risk for the short term?

#39 ·
not hating but how did this work out for you cman?

I bought some GBTC on 10/25 and 11/1.

It's up 78% so far. Pretty cool.

Also up over 50% on come Bitcoin and Litecoin purchases first week of November.
Pretty wild stuff. I wish I'd have bought more and bought months ago when it was first discussed here.

#40 ·
I think Bitcoin and Amazon are completely different animals. Like comparing apples to monkeys. Bitcoin is simply trust, Amazon is a real company with real products, earning statements, employees, assets, etc. Buying Bitcoin is like going to Vegas or buying a lottery ticket, it's a true gamble.

Even if Amazon drops 500 points tomorrow, it's a guarantee that it will eventually regain that. Bitcoin could go to 0 and shutdown without warning.

BTW - regarding Enron, I day traded Enron when they were crashing, just before they got delisted. It was extremely volatile with prices going form 0.10 - 0.50. I bought at 0.10 and sold between 0.25 - 0.35 4 or 5 times before I lost my nerve. I was only using $1,000 to play it with but I ended up turning that $1,000 into $6,000 or $7,000. It's been a long time and I can't remember details.

My best buy was Ford in 2008 when the whole sector collapsed and it was trading around $2/share. I bought a couple hundred shares and sold when it hit $16 a couple of years later, timed that one just right as it's at about $10 now. I wish I had mortgaged my house and maxed out every credit card I had to buy as much of it as I could get but, hindsight is 20/20. I knew it wasn't going to stay that low for long though, they were solid financially, just took a hit because of the problems with GM and Chrysler.

#41 · (Edited)
I think Bitcoin and Amazon are completely different animals. Like comparing apples to monkeys. Bitcoin is simply trust, Amazon is a real company with real products, earning statements, employees, assets, etc. Buying Bitcoin is like going to Vegas or buying a lottery ticket, it's a true gamble.

Even if Amazon drops 500 points tomorrow, it's a guarantee that it will eventually regain that. Bitcoin could go to 0 and shutdown without warning.

BTW - regarding Enron, I day traded Enron when they were crashing, just before they got delisted. It was extremely volatile with prices going form 0.10 - 0.50. I bought at 0.10 and sold between 0.25 - 0.35 4 or 5 times before I lost my nerve. I was only using $1,000 to play it with but I ended up turning that $1,000 into $6,000 or $7,000. It's been a long time and I can't remember details.

My best buy was Ford in 2008 when the whole sector collapsed and it was trading around $2/share. I bought a couple hundred shares and sold when it hit $16 a couple of years later, timed that one just right as it's at about $10 now. I wish I had mortgaged my house and maxed out every credit card I had to buy as much of it as I could get but, hindsight is 20/20. I knew it wasn't going to stay that low for long though, they were solid financially, just took a hit because of the problems with GM and Chrysler.
"Even if Amazon drops 500 points tomorrow, it's a guarantee that it will eventually regain that."

If you think there are any "guarantees" in the market I have a bridge I want to sell you.

And I agree 100%. Bitcoin and Amazon are apples to monkeys. Accept for the fact that people purchased bitcoin thinking it was a "guarantee" that if it dropped 500 points it would eventually regain that. The market is littered with the remains of fortunes of people who thought there were "guarantees".

Once again I will never ever cheer against you. I hope Amazon does great and you make a fortune. I will just never expose myself to being to much overweight in any stock. I've been around long enough and had to many sure things blow up in my face.

Good luck to you sir!

#43 ·
I'm all out of digital currency.
I bought, sold, bought more, and then dumped every bit of my GBTC, bitcoin, ethereum, and litecoin. I made a little bit of money. Not much. My total in never exceeded 15k and I was prepared to lose it.
I think the broad base of investors saw what happened in January and it turned off the masses for a while. Without that broad support it's not something I will invest in as it reminds me of a pyramid. I may ride the swings if it trends again or revisit after it stands the test of time.

When I speculate these days, I find a stock that is buy to strong buy with analysts across at least 3 out of 4 websites. Cnnmoney, zack's, fidelity, and yahoo finance. - They are easiest for me to read.
Analyst firms shown on Fidelity are the most conservative. When I find a stock that is forecast well on all of those, I buy it. 3 of 4 and I may also buy it. 2 of 4 and I don't. That's worked for me.

I crushed it with EXTR- made around 300% or 58k in 14 months. Sold all but a few shares early this year right as it began to dive. After a more recent fall, I think it may be a decent time to get back in. Like Monday.
https://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=EXTR

TAL is another that's been great. Bought from 2016-2017 and my shares are up 145% after a recent pull back.
I think it too is set to rebound.
https://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=TAL

STMP has been another very solid growth stock for me.

All of these had across the board strong buy recommendations when I bought them. They are all "mostly" strong buys now so I don't think I would have speculated on them as hard today as I did previously.

Right now I'm focused on another investment so to speak in a vacation house. Took a beating from the uninformed telling me it was a bad investment on TTMB but like my hard headedness shown here, I am exceedingly confident that it is an epic investment given it's unique location, the almost non existence of what is a very limited market area, and the rates folks pay for rentals there.
The growth of that market rivals recent growth of the stock market. Alas, it's about securing a piece of a diminishing market vs. pure investment. Bonus that it is sky rocketing in value and another diversification.
I'm looking to break ground this month and complete by spring and then I'll focus more on picking winners.
I hope some others will post up some stocks that have worked well for them lately, and have strong buy recommendations.

#44 ·
I'm all out of digital currency.
I bought, sold, bought more, and then dumped every bit of my GBTC, bitcoin, ethereum, and litecoin. I made a little bit of money. Not much. My total in never exceeded 15k and I was prepared to lose it.
I think the broad base of investors saw what happened in January and it turned off the masses for a while. Without that broad support it's not something I will invest in as it reminds me of a pyramid. I may ride the swings if it trends again or revisit after it stands the test of time.

When I speculate these days, I find a stock that is buy to strong buy with analysts across at least 3 out of 4 websites. Cnnmoney, zack's, fidelity, and yahoo finance. - They are easiest for me to read.
Analyst firms shown on Fidelity are the most conservative. When I find a stock that is forecast well on all of those, I buy it. 3 of 4 and I may also buy it. 2 of 4 and I don't. That's worked for me.

I crushed it with EXTR- made around 300% or 58k in 14 months. Sold all but a few shares early this year right as it began to dive. After a more recent fall, I think it may be a decent time to get back in. Like Monday.
http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=EXTR

TAL is another that's been great. Bought from 2016-2017 and my shares are up 145% after a recent pull back.
I think it too is set to rebound.
http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=TAL

STMP has been another very solid growth stock for me.

All of these had across the board strong buy recommendations when I bought them. They are all "mostly" strong buys now so I don't think I would have speculated on them as hard today as I did previously.

Right now I'm focused on another investment so to speak in a vacation house. Took a beating from the uninformed telling me it was a bad investment on TTMB but like my hard headedness shown here, I am exceedingly confident that it is an epic investment given it's unique location, the almost non existence of what is a very limited market area, and the rates folks pay for rentals there.
The growth of that market rivals recent growth of the stock market. Alas, it's about securing a piece of a diminishing market vs. pure investment. Bonus that it is sky rocketing in value and another diversification.
I'm looking to break ground this month and complete by spring and then I'll focus more on picking winners.
I hope some others will post up some stocks that have worked well for them lately, and have strong buy recommendations.
I looked into vacation property rentals as well. Decided not my cup of tea. Not necessarily a "bad investment" just better options for me out there.

Where were you looking?

#45 ·
I have fly fished the guadalupe below canyon lake for 25 yrs or so and seen all of my campgrounds sold out and developed into condos. only 2hrs 15 mins from my house it's the closest prettiest spot for me to get my son some great nature.
access has diminished on the river in 25 yrs. it is now down to just a handful of less desirable sites which are more crowded, with limited year round access.
I'm tied to houston for the next 8 yrs so i wanted to preserve a spot for myself and my son so we didn't have to fly to colorado every time we wanted to fly fish for trout.
Looked at a few properties on the market the last couple of yrs but none were in front of what i would consider good water for fly fishing or for water activities and only a 3 or 4 come up per year in the trout zone.
So I wrote letters to older sites and got a response last year. Bought an old 1960's cabin cash as the owner was flighty. Took a year to drill a well, get permits, and design the build. Set to close on the loan for the construction next wed. The site is right on the chute which is the focal point of the river on river rd- my favorite fly fishing spot and the best spot for tubing and such. Whereas I'd hoped to rehab the old cabin or just plop a new cabin on the site, due to restrictions I had to build on piers. Since that was so involved it made more sense to build a little bigger. So I ended up with 1790 sf with 3 bedrooms and a loft- will sleep 14+ without using a pull out couch or 2.

The land, site work, engineering, etc. has me just under 300k. The build will end up at 300k. When completed if I wanted to sell it it'd sell for 650-675k today, but prices are really rising fast. I'm just not able to be there all the time so I'll rent it for 4500 per week. 8 weeks rental per year will cover the construction loan, taxes, insurance and leave a bit of a balance. So besides the initial 300k for the land and site work that I've paid for in cash, those 8 weeks rentals per year will pay for the rest and get me a "free" vacation place just 2hrs 15 minutes from the house.

#46 ·
cman

Sounds great! Good luck!

I am probably pointing out the obvious but two things come to mind.

Opportunity cost of the 300K. You would be making money (probably on Amazon) with that 300K, plus growth.

Property taxes. They are sure to go up and get you.

In any case I am sure it will be fine. I just doubt I would use the term "epic investment"

Keep us posted on how it does.

Good Luck!

#47 ·
You are right for sure. To me it is epic.
Anyone who takes a vacation or buys a beer has opportunity cost.

In this case, I am going to achieve a riverfront property with a value of 650k+ for my cost of just under 300k. That is epic.
Renters of only 8 weeks per year will pay the rest, including that property tax you mention. If I choose, I'll rent it more but I think 8 weeks is the sweet spot for me.

So I do understand that if I wanted I could invest the money elsewhere and do better, but to me it is a stroke of genius and well worth it for myself and my son.

I expect I'll retire there at 57 or 58. Plenty of babes in bikinis out my front door, clean air, great wildlife, great fishing, and healing waters. I dig it man.

#48 ·
Well TAL, STMP, and EXTR are all down today.
I hope no one ever buys anything because I mention it. Even if I suggest it may be time to buy like I did with EXTR. Hopefully my caveat was strong enough. I've dumped all but a few shares of EXTR.

The only things I bought last week were MU and Zen.
Another recent buy was IAC on June 6 at $158.51. That's working out really well.
MSFT at $108.51
TXN @109.10
I picked up some more swk back in May at 142.91. Not doing great on that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.