Bad news in west bay!!!!! - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #21
WestEndAngler
Cast & Blaster

WestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by gater View Post
I was last that way and at that time the dredge was between Chocolate and Cow Bayou.

Gater
It showed up between Sunday of last week & Saturday this week...It was already in place when I passed the dredge Saturday AM heading to Chocolate.
WestEndAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #22
Capt. Shep
Registered Users-pm+

Capt. Shep has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterCapt. Shep has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterCapt. Shep has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterCapt. Shep has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterCapt. Shep has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterCapt. Shep has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterCapt. Shep has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterCapt. Shep has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterCapt. Shep has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterCapt. Shep has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterCapt. Shep has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMaster
Cry

"This is the WORST thing that could happen to west bay" "This is a disaster" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA This sounds like a stump hugging fourm. Give the trout another muddy bottom to lay up in in the winter. Is there a PETA for grass and oysters???

And no im am not with the dreging company nor do i have anything to do with whats going on.
Capt. Shep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #23
Timemachine
Remember the Veterans

Timemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Shep View Post
"This is the WORST thing that could happen to west bay" "This is a disaster" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA This sounds like a stump hugging fourm. Give the trout another muddy bottom to lay up in in the winter. Is there a PETA for grass and oysters???

And no im am not with the dreging company nor do i have anything to do with whats going on.
You're an IDIOT. Take your sorry arse to some other website. You are not welcome here moroon.

That word is probably too big for you. Here:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Moroon
Timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #24
Timemachine
Remember the Veterans

Timemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to Pirate
I am in the Marine engineering Group for a large company. I work with dredging issues/permits every day. They should have never been issued a permit for disturbing a Seagrass area. Once the truth is know, I'm sure that spoil barges were to be used. This is policy in the USA and as well as Australia. They are taking the cheap rout and hoping nobody is watching.

They think that if they do get caught, the fine will far less than the use of spoil collecting and dumping in a designated sight.

Where are all the Lawyers when we need one????????
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #25
jewfish
Member - Uncle John's Band

jewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Piratejewfish has been promoted to Pirate
Maybe not so bad

Hello all, I am Sea Aggies 35, new to this site so I am posting on Jewfish for now. This subject caught my attention as I just sat through a discussion on exactly this topic through Texas A & M in Galveston.
The dredging may be an attempt to restore the bay and or surrounding wetlands by the beneficial use of dredged material (BUD). This process has been used in areas in and around Jamaica beach to slow the erosion process and re-establish these estuaries. At first it looks horrible but in the end these "birds Mounds" ( which is what it sounds like they are creating), will be replanted. These areas generally will be blocked off by geo textile tubes in order to act as a breakwater and allow the new area to mature and grow. They have proven very beneficial thus far and many are now excellant fishing areas. The bays and estuaries are vital to not only for our fish populations, but for water quality, coastal processes, and for the vast amount of other animals that depend on these areas. Rebuilding these areas is of great importance. Give it time and I think you will see the long term benefits will greatly out weigh the short term disruption.
jewfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #26
Timemachine
Remember the Veterans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewfish View Post
Hello all, I am Sea Aggies 35... Give it time and I think you will see the long term benefits will greatly out weigh the short term disruption.
Sure hope your right my friend. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #27
MsAddicted

MsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to PirateMsAddicted has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Hello all, I am Sea Aggies 35, new to this site so I am posting on Jewfish for now. This subject caught my attention as I just sat through a discussion on exactly this topic through Texas A & M in Galveston.
The dredging may be an attempt to restore the bay and or surrounding wetlands by the beneficial use of dredged material (BUD). This process has been used in areas in and around Jamaica beach to slow the erosion process and re-establish these estuaries. At first it looks horrible but in the end these "birds Mounds" ( which is what it sounds like they are creating), will be replanted. These areas generally will be blocked off by geo textile tubes in order to act as a breakwater and allow the new area to mature and grow. They have proven very beneficial thus far and many are now excellant fishing areas. The bays and estuaries are vital to not only for our fish populations, but for water quality, coastal processes, and for the vast amount of other animals that depend on these areas. Rebuilding these areas is of great importance. Give it time and I think you will see the long term benefits will greatly out weigh the short term disruption.
The input is appreciated but I dont think you are familiar with that area. Have you seen the N shoreline of west bay? It is a beautiful, healthy and wonderfully productive grassbed shoreline that has taken years to become established. I see no benefit to this type of dredge dumping at all, not when they are dumping onto an area like that. The substrate is firm and wadeable, the water is normally crystal clear year round and it is RARE in west galveston bay to find that.

I sent off an email directed to the game wardens at TPW this morning and included my concerns regarding the grassbeds as well as a link to another message board on which this same information is posted. I tried to include all 3 message boards where I have seen this but it wouldnt let me include more than one link. I dont know if that is the appropriate TPW department to direct it to but emails and phone calls are going to all offices of all agencies we can think of so hopefully someone will get alarmed somewhere. (in time, I hope)
MsAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #28
southpaw
Microskiff Mafia

southpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking. We learned about these kind of projects in my coastal engineering classes. In the long run it could help the sea grass take hold, so hopefully this is what's going on.
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #29
gater
Gater

gater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirategater has been promoted to Pirate
Jewfish

Quote:
Jewfish your input is greatly appreciated and I understand what you are talking about. However, as MsAddicted mentioned this is not the same thing. These grass beds were not planted as part of any restoration project but have taken root on it's own. It's believed to have started from drifting grass that has made it's way across from West Galveston Island.
The dredge material will smother it and it will years to get back to what it is now if ever.

Gater
gater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #30
southpaw
Microskiff Mafia

southpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Pirate
Can anyone post a map with markings showing where this is going on? My old coastal engineering prof worked for the Army Corps of Engineers. I'll shoot them an email to see what their input might be and see if they can contact the right people.
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message