2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Sheepshead on artificial?

7K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Jhonny 
#1 ·
Did tons of googling on how to catch sheepshead on artificial with little to now results, probably because there is none ideal for them, heh.

But i live by the marina and i see them just chillin by the walls evrery other week and i really really want to catch them. However i dont keep fiddler crabs or shrimp as pets so i need ideas on artificials to quickly work the marina length.

So far i tried vudu shrmps, 3d japanese shrimps, desperation crank bairs, spoons to make my neighbors laugh lol. even some bass gear like worms and frogs.

They just aint biting. Any suggestions? I mean something fun besides live shrimp etc.

Last resort imma buy a bow and robin hood them

#3 ·
I believe they don’t-But I’ve caught them occasionally on artificial. Vudu Shrimp,Swimbaits/Paddletails, crankbaits, mirrolures, etc.Mostly bycatch from Red and Trout Fishing. I believe they’re so territorial, it’s a reaction strike. I’m pretty sure they’ll eat a fly like a champ too.
Water Water resources Plant Lake Sunlight

Reptile Fish Fin Tail Snout

#5 ·
I’ve gotten quite a few on various saltwater type flies like borski sliders, redfish crack and shrimp patterns.

They aren’t as prone to chase down a fly as maybe a redfish would, but they will usually take a look at a crab like or shrimp looking pattern if it’s in their line of sight and they don’t get spooked first.

#11 ·
However i dont keep fiddler crabs or shrimp as pets so i need ideas on artificials to quickly work the marina length.
I'm not really sure what this means, but the next time you eat some shrimp, set the smallest 2 or 3 aside and freeze them until you're ready to catch sheepshead. I spent many hours in the 80s catching sheepies from the sides of the SLP pier pilings and the number one bait without question was shrimp. In my experience, there may be a food they'd rather eat, but they won't turn their nose up at a motionless piece of shrimp. The best part, IMO, is the last joint before the tail, with the shell still on it but the tail torn off. We used #10 trebles back then, but I use small circle hooks now. The problem with small hooks is their jaws will flatten a hook in a heartbeat, so if you can find a small circle hook that is double weight, that would be best. For how to rig, I use a split shot to get it down and do not use a cork, lots of false alarms with a cork.

#12 ·
Wife uses tiny rattle traps and catches quite a few, it's always funny to see people surprised when she pulls in 6, 7, 8... and on. It appears to me that she annoys the heck out of them running that thing back and forth until they hit it just to shut it up. Those things mutilate the little treble hooks on the tiny traps, need to find her some tougher trebles to switch out. I tried it and can't do it, perhaps I'm not annoying enough. :mpd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.