Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
1TroutTodd
Registered Users-pm+

1TroutTodd is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Let’s talk binoculars

Listening to the Bite Me podcast has me interested in picking up a pair of binoculars for looking for birds/ baits.

I’m looking for suggestions on what magnification and brand.

Water/ corrosion resistant would be a plus.
1TroutTodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
Freefron
Registered Users-pm+

Freefron has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFreefron has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFreefron has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFreefron has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFreefron has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFreefron has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFreefron has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFreefron has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFreefron has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFreefron has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFreefron has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I have a pair of Vortex viper 10x42 and love them. The warranty states that they will repair or replace free of charge irrespective of how the glasses get damaged. Furthermore, the clarity and sharpness of the optics is far better than any glasses I've used in the past. A lot of bang for the buck, I feel.
Freefron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
So, in all practicle uses, most of us are within eyesight of a shoreline when we are trying to find birds and bait, so it isn't all that often I use them. Most times you'll use them because of distance, you'll have to shut down the boat and come to a rest to be able to see anything. And once you know what you are looking at as to species of birds and how each looks in flight and diving, you can tell what they are from a mile away.

But for use while fishing, I went with a relatively cheap pair of Nikons - an earlier version of the ProStaff 10x25 ATB (think I paid $100 seven or so years ago). I priced weather resistant and waterproof and chose to forgo that for cost and size reasons.

The Nikons work great, I just store them in a waterproof bag that I keep all my stuff in anyway.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
cstaceyt
Registered Users-pm+

cstaceyt has been promoted to the rank of Privateercstaceyt has been promoted to the rank of Privateercstaceyt has been promoted to the rank of Privateercstaceyt has been promoted to the rank of Privateercstaceyt has been promoted to the rank of Privateercstaceyt has been promoted to the rank of Privateercstaceyt has been promoted to the rank of Privateercstaceyt has been promoted to the rank of Privateercstaceyt has been promoted to the rank of Privateercstaceyt has been promoted to the rank of Privateercstaceyt has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefron View Post
I have a pair of Vortex viper 10x42 and love them. The warranty states that they will repair or replace free of charge irrespective of how the glasses get damaged. Furthermore, the clarity and sharpness of the optics is far better than any glasses I've used in the past. A lot of bang for the buck, I feel.
I just sent my Diamondbacks in today. I've had them for 10 years so we see how they stand behind their warranty.
cstaceyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon ??

I've looked through every brand imaginable including the Steiners, swarovski, etc. The auto focus nikon 10X50 for 100.00 are what i use for deer and fishing. keep a pair on my boat console 7/24/365. with all due respect, IMHO absolutely no difference when side by side comparison. my manager has the over $1000.00 Steiner, brought them to work, no difference period, and auto focus is an absolute must for me and especially on the water. i'll pay for the best if there is actually a difference.
c hook is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2020, 09:34 PM   #6
glojim
Registered Users-pm+

glojim has been promoted to Pirateglojim has been promoted to Pirateglojim has been promoted to Pirateglojim has been promoted to Pirateglojim has been promoted to Pirateglojim has been promoted to Pirateglojim has been promoted to Pirateglojim has been promoted to Pirateglojim has been promoted to Pirateglojim has been promoted to Pirateglojim has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by c hook View Post
I've looked through every brand imaginable including the Steiners, swarovski, etc. The auto focus nikon 10X50 for 100.00 are what i use for deer and fishing. keep a pair on my boat console 7/24/365. with all due respect, IMHO absolutely no difference when side by side comparison. my manager has the over $1000.00 Steiner, brought them to work, no difference period, and auto focus is an absolute must for me and especially on the water. i'll pay for the best if there is actually a difference.

C Hook: Could you share the exact model name to this Nikon? I'm very interested. Thx
glojim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2020, 11:27 AM   #7
Jackzilla357
Registered Users-pm+

Jackzilla357 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I've never even considered binos for fishing. Gonna bring a pair from now on tho.
Jackzilla357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2020, 10:26 PM   #8
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon Bushnell 12X50 Perma Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glojim View Post
C Hook: Could you share the exact model name to this Nikon? I'm very interested. Thx
I stand corrected, this is what I'm using. And they didn't hesitate to correct my calling them auto-focus.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.co...afocus-207.htm

Last edited by c hook; 03-21-2020 at 10:38 PM.
c hook is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message