Got my first baitcaster - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Freshwater Fishing General Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
thedudeabides
Registered Users-pm+

thedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunnerthedudeabides has been promote to Gunner
Got my first baitcaster

I started with an cheapo $50 Shakespeare combo while academy was having their 25% sale. Now what? I'm a crappie and cat fisherman so always use spinning rods. Would like to try the white bass at Richland chambers. What line should I spool it with? Thinking 10 or 8 lb braid.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
thedudeabides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
SmallDogZ
Registered Users-pm+

SmallDogZ is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
I started with an cheapo $50 Shakespeare combo while academy was having their 25% sale. Now what? I'm a crappie and cat fisherman so always use spinning rods. Would like to try the white bass at Richland chambers. What line should I spool it with? Thinking 10 or 8 lb braid.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'd go with 10lb sometimes you may hook into larger striper or hybrid when targeting Whites.... Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SmallDogZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
Mattsfishin
Registered Users-pm+

Mattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to Pirate
I use nothing but Big Game clear 12 lb test. I know old school but hey I am old school. I catch more whites with mono than braid for whites and catch some good size stripers and hybrids with same line.
Mattsfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #4
whsalum
Registered Users-pm+

whsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Piratewhsalum has been promoted to Pirate
Braid is a little to sensitive for me, I go with 12-15 lb Big Game Mono
whsalum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 05:51 AM   #5
SmallDogZ
Registered Users-pm+

SmallDogZ is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I used to use big game 12 also but did break off once on a large striper. This is excellent line in most cases for sure. I've recently switched to braid not sure yet which I like better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SmallDogZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
fishin_envy
Registered Users-pm+

fishin_envy has been promoted to Piratefishin_envy has been promoted to Piratefishin_envy has been promoted to Piratefishin_envy has been promoted to Piratefishin_envy has been promoted to Piratefishin_envy has been promoted to Piratefishin_envy has been promoted to Piratefishin_envy has been promoted to Piratefishin_envy has been promoted to Piratefishin_envy has been promoted to Piratefishin_envy has been promoted to Pirate
I use 50 lb PowerPro braid. Braid is much smaller in diameter than mono of the same weight class. Too small of diameter braid will cause it to occasionally get buried down into the spool and become frustrating to use. 50 lb Power Pro is the same diameter as 12 lb Big Game mono. Like a smart guide once told me, I never catch any 50 lb fish, but I do catch a lot of 50 lb stumps. Be careful using it on crappie. With braid there is no line stretch like there is with mono and it is very easy to tear the lips off of a crappie while setting the hook.
fishin_envy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
tbone2374
INFIDEL to Some, but Loves my Saviour

tbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Piratetbone2374 has been promoted to Pirate
QUOTE..... " I started with an cheapo $50 Shakespeare combo " IMO you are better off beginning with a quality brand and reviewed, baitcaster. The problem you have is adjustability, and smoothness, with regard to backlash and drag. In other words, it's much easier to learn on quality, than an inferior product. I've used other folks, cheap baitcasters, through the years, that were tough to smoothly and accurately, throw, let alone teach, a first timer on... JMO... I only use Shimano!
tbone2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
Garzas23
ADDICTED2FISHING

Garzas23 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerGarzas23 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerGarzas23 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerGarzas23 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerGarzas23 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerGarzas23 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerGarzas23 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerGarzas23 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerGarzas23 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerGarzas23 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerGarzas23 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
30LB Power Pro Braid on all my baitcasters, no complaints from me. 30lb braid is strong enough to fight catfish or bass plus the diameter is still small enough to cast a mile!
Garzas23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #9
Texasfisherman57
Registered Users-pm+

Texasfisherman57 has been promoted to PirateTexasfisherman57 has been promoted to PirateTexasfisherman57 has been promoted to PirateTexasfisherman57 has been promoted to PirateTexasfisherman57 has been promoted to PirateTexasfisherman57 has been promoted to PirateTexasfisherman57 has been promoted to PirateTexasfisherman57 has been promoted to PirateTexasfisherman57 has been promoted to PirateTexasfisherman57 has been promoted to PirateTexasfisherman57 has been promoted to Pirate
I would not start off using a baitcaster with braid on it. I would start out with mono. Go to YouTube and checkout some of the videos on setting up your reel.
Texasfisherman57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #10
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Like others have said 12# mono is a great all round line in freshwater.
I use big game clear in 12# and tie a 20# fluorocarbon whenever I’m in Stripers or hybrids.
I sometimes use a 39# leader when catfishing or big hybrids.
I tie the line to the leader with uni knots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro