Pringle, Contee, Power Fish Kill - A different perspective - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
JohnHumbert
Worldangler

JohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to Pirate
Mpd Pringle, Contee, Power Fish Kill - A different perspective

No one is more saddened to hear the reports of the fish kill, especially of big trout, in Pringle and Contee as I am. While I have not witness the kill personally, I was there for the XMAS '04 kill and I can imagine the scene - and the impact - pretty well.

But I am also laughing to myself. Why, do you ask? How could I laugh about this?

Well, here's a different perspective. I know the area very well, and as others have postulated - all these were most likely resident fish that rarely, if ever, leave these lakes. I have been saying for many years that there are A LOT of big trout in these lakes - Heck, me and Pat SEE them all the time. However, I was even shocked in '04 - as many are now - that there were THAT MANY 27"-30" in the lake. Hundreds and Hundreds.

I am laughing because these fish have made fools of us all! While we have been lamenting on C&R (great ethic!), just keep 5 (I fully support), and bemoaning the trout populations being down (which they are) - there has been a huge population of big trout in a relatively small area that have eluded capture all year. What a joke on all of us fishing the area.

While we have been strenously support and conversing the resource, the vast majority of big trout in Pringle and Contee are going uncaught and dying of natural causes!

The junior game wardens pounce on an individual keeping a single legal big trout while hundreds of others in this one small area go happily on their way unknown by all anglers. Kinda puts things in a different perspective. Mother nature has put a whammy on the big trout that pales in comparision to the heavy pressure by the thousands of serious anglers that pound that lake every year. I'd be willing to bet than less than 24 big trout were caught out of Pringle this entire year by all anglers that fished it - and maybe 20x or 30x - or even 50x that number of big trout went completely untouched - not to mention those that DIDN'T die from the freeze that are still out there - and I garantee you there are still a bunch out there.

And please don't tell me those fish just recently moved into the lake. If you do, you don't know how those areas work and how they get populated with fish. I do, and I can tell you with certainly they've been in there all year.

Something to think about.... think about how many big trout there are still out there in other lakes that weren't affected - or the reefs - or the outside shorelines.

The kill is sad for sure - but keep things in perspective - and you, like me, might end up with a little wicked smile.
JohnHumbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Speckwrangler
Registered Users-pm+

Speckwrangler has been promoted to PirateSpeckwrangler has been promoted to PirateSpeckwrangler has been promoted to PirateSpeckwrangler has been promoted to PirateSpeckwrangler has been promoted to PirateSpeckwrangler has been promoted to PirateSpeckwrangler has been promoted to PirateSpeckwrangler has been promoted to PirateSpeckwrangler has been promoted to PirateSpeckwrangler has been promoted to PirateSpeckwrangler has been promoted to Pirate
I was thinking the same thing! Maybe I need to spend some more time in those lakes grinding... I just want to touch one.
Speckwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
txfishon
Eat it baby !!!

txfishon has been promoted to Piratetxfishon has been promoted to Piratetxfishon has been promoted to Piratetxfishon has been promoted to Piratetxfishon has been promoted to Piratetxfishon has been promoted to Piratetxfishon has been promoted to Piratetxfishon has been promoted to Piratetxfishon has been promoted to Piratetxfishon has been promoted to Piratetxfishon has been promoted to Pirate
Biggrin WELL SAID

Very well said John ... Kind of like all the bucks that are picture stars on game cams !!! And no one ever sees them ... Just my take !!

A lot of trout go unseen and unharmed ... If we would have "trout cams" people would never leave some fishing grounds !!

Freddy
txfishon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
flounderdaddy
Registered Users-pm+

flounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Just like the so called flounder problem. Give me a freaking break! Close the whole month of November to gigging. You cats better watch for what you ask for.
flounderdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
Naterator
Banned

Naterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to Pirate
Wow, good call on the free information post...keep it up and maybe we can get some of the east matty "Big Girl" posters to set up shop in Pringle and quit contributing to the ruining of east matty by virtue of free internet advertising and the resulting overcrowding. Tongue firmly in cheek...
Naterator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
JohnHumbert
Worldangler

JohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to PirateJohnHumbert has been promoted to Pirate
LOL!!

Hard to fool them big girls!

You know, back when I was much younger and dumber, an old salt in the area (from which I learned lots) was able to consistenly catch big trout. Almost on demand. I once bet him he couldn't catch a big trout on that day - when we met up for beers that evening in his trailer - he had caught not one, but two big trout that day!

As I forked over $50 with egg on my face, he proceeded to lecture me on how many big trout where in the lakes, and that reason that most folks didn't catch 'em was that they just didn't know how or had the patience and dedication to catch 'em. They were way too finicky, uppitty, smart and wary for most anglers. He actually didn't like catching them, he said it took too much time and effort and - for him - wasn't worth the time. He liked redfish and "fryer" trout. But he could catch them any time he wanted.

Used to think he was BSing me - but as I get older I realize what an incredible angler he was. He never bragged or boasted, and never ever showed off his catch - except when schooling a young, know-it-all boy angler.

His name.... Norman Bennett of Victoria.
JohnHumbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Naterator
Banned

Naterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to Pirate
yep...I'd be okay with gigging limited to a few months a year...a "hunting season" if you will...and the total ban of all commercial gigging. If you don't think flounder have been decimated in recent years you either don't fish much or can't / won't read the research. Good job TP&W!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounderdaddy View Post
Just like the so called flounder problem. Give me a freaking break! Close the whole month of November to gigging. You cats better watch for what you ask for.
Naterator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Cork & Jig
Registered Users-pm+

Cork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to PirateCork & Jig has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
The junior game wardens pounce on an individual keeping a single legal big trout while hundreds of others in this one small area go happily on their way unknown by all anglers. Kinda puts things in a different perspective.
This is so true. I've been trying to tell people this for years.

IMO, if you catch a large trout(28"+) there can be a bunch of others around. You just got "lucky" and managed to doupe one of them. BTW, they don't get that big falling for every bait that they come across. THey've "learned" a thing or two about how to survive.
Cork & Jig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
flounderdaddy
Registered Users-pm+

flounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateerflounderdaddy has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Don't belive all of the so called research. Been gigging my whole life and have not noticed any difference in the number of flounder. Will out fish you anytime, any place Naterator. So go write a book and we will read it.
flounderdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
"Reddrum"
Registered Users-pm+

"Reddrum" has been promoted to the rank of Gunner"Reddrum" has been promoted to the rank of Gunner"Reddrum" has been promoted to the rank of Gunner"Reddrum" has been promoted to the rank of Gunner"Reddrum" has been promoted to the rank of Gunner"Reddrum" has been promoted to the rank of Gunner"Reddrum" has been promoted to the rank of Gunner"Reddrum" has been promoted to the rank of Gunner"Reddrum" has been promoted to the rank of Gunner"Reddrum" has been promoted to the rank of Gunner"Reddrum" has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Lakes

It might take a little longer than in the past but mother nature will start restocking the lakes with the bull tides of spring. They'll need some time to grow but I can't blame lake fish for being finicky. I wouldn't feel like eating either if there were 100+ airplanes buzzing 1' over my head every summer day!
"Reddrum" is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message