trolling motor question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Texas Tarpon
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
trolling motor question

Bought a Sea Hunt 220 few months ago. I want to add a trolling motor for Tarpon fishing. Figured this would be the best place to ask because the use will be specfic for tarpon fishing. It is a deep V boat with not much of an area to mount a bow trolling motor. Also figure since I will be using the boat to run offshore a times a trolling motor on the front beating around may not be the best ideal.

So I have three other choices. I have 12"x9" lenco tabs on the boat and have looked at the tab mounted motors. I would like anyone with these to give me the pros and cons.

Other choice is motor mounted trolling motor. In my mind this would not be the best for a few reasons. But I would like to here from anyone who has these.

Last choice would be a clamp on transome mounted motor. Add a square bracket to the transome of the boat and a plug. This seems the best choice becasue I can remove the trolling motor when I am not tarpon fishing. I also do not have to worry about damage if I bump into anything. But controling the boat direction would seem to be tuff. I would hope the large motor could be used like a tiller and this would be how to control direction. Seems this may be very sluggish and be almost impossible to make a quick turn without cranking up the big motor.

I am looking for any suggestions as to what yall have found to work or have seen work in a case like this. Tarpon are one of the main reasons I bought the boat. So I want to set up my trolling motor best as possilbe. Thanks.

Last edited by Jolly Roger; 01-06-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
CrazyYak
Crazy Yak

CrazyYak has been promoted to PirateCrazyYak has been promoted to PirateCrazyYak has been promoted to PirateCrazyYak has been promoted to PirateCrazyYak has been promoted to PirateCrazyYak has been promoted to PirateCrazyYak has been promoted to PirateCrazyYak has been promoted to PirateCrazyYak has been promoted to PirateCrazyYak has been promoted to PirateCrazyYak has been promoted to Pirate
One of these should work, your boat is only 6ft longer than mine!
CrazyYak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyYak View Post
One of these should work, your boat is only 6ft longer than mine!

I would loose my gut fast tring to paddle it around. May be only 6' longer but it has a few thousand pounds on you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Blackwater21
Registered Users-pm+

Blackwater21 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBlackwater21 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBlackwater21 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBlackwater21 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBlackwater21 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBlackwater21 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBlackwater21 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBlackwater21 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBlackwater21 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBlackwater21 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBlackwater21 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I have run both a dual setup and a single trolling motor on brackets on the transom. The singe 36v 101 thrust worked the best but neither was as good a bow mount 36v hand control unit. I am not a fan of the engine or trim tab trolling motor set ups. Everyone I know that has them has problems with them all the time.

Good Luck
Blackwater21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Hunter
Registered Users-pm+

Hunter has been promoted to PirateHunter has been promoted to PirateHunter has been promoted to PirateHunter has been promoted to PirateHunter has been promoted to PirateHunter has been promoted to PirateHunter has been promoted to PirateHunter has been promoted to PirateHunter has been promoted to PirateHunter has been promoted to PirateHunter has been promoted to Pirate
The MinnKota trim tab trollers are great. I have used them for two seasons.

I have heard bad things about the Lenco version.

Barring a switch to MinnKota tabs, I would recommend a transom mounted troller. Use your main as a rudder.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Wading Mark
Banned

Wading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to Pirate
Great White 36V transom mount with 3 Optima batteries is an outstanding set-up.
Wading Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Txfirenfish
Registered Users-pm+

Txfirenfish has been promoted to PirateTxfirenfish has been promoted to PirateTxfirenfish has been promoted to PirateTxfirenfish has been promoted to PirateTxfirenfish has been promoted to PirateTxfirenfish has been promoted to PirateTxfirenfish has been promoted to PirateTxfirenfish has been promoted to PirateTxfirenfish has been promoted to PirateTxfirenfish has been promoted to PirateTxfirenfish has been promoted to Pirate
Wow TJ, gettin out of the yak business?
Txfirenfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfirenfish View Post
Wow TJ, gettin out of the yak business?
yep, sold the kayak last week.

You get a weekend off let me know. I will be fishing most all weekends the weather is good enough. Black drum run is coming and I have some primo protected locations for them.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
guillotm
Registered Users-pm+

guillotm has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerguillotm has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerguillotm has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerguillotm has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerguillotm has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerguillotm has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerguillotm has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerguillotm has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerguillotm has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerguillotm has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerguillotm has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
I am in the same boat as you Jolly. I have a 23 footer that weighs close to 6000lbs that I will be using for trolling. I may purchase the 202 MK engine mount as I already have trim tabs. I know several people that troll for tarpon with their thrusters. If an inboard doesnt spook them then why would a small four stroke outboard around 10 horsepower, like a kicker. Have a friend that caught a 6 foot plus Tarpon trolling ballyhoo behind an outboard.
guillotm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Wading Mark
Banned

Wading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to PirateWading Mark has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillotm View Post
If an inboard doesnt spook them then why would a small four stroke outboard around 10 horsepower, like a kicker. Have a friend that caught a 6 foot plus Tarpon trolling ballyhoo behind an outboard.
It's because inboards don't exhaust under the water and outboards of any size do. I've seen the small outboard thing tried time and again and those people don't catch any tarpon while the trolling motor/gas inboard crowd are hammering them.
Wading Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message