Class A license required! - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Camping out and RV Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
D'sBaystealth
Registered Users-pm+

D'sBaystealth has been promote to GunnerD'sBaystealth has been promote to GunnerD'sBaystealth has been promote to GunnerD'sBaystealth has been promote to GunnerD'sBaystealth has been promote to GunnerD'sBaystealth has been promote to GunnerD'sBaystealth has been promote to GunnerD'sBaystealth has been promote to GunnerD'sBaystealth has been promote to GunnerD'sBaystealth has been promote to GunnerD'sBaystealth has been promote to Gunner
I have come across this question many times. The tricky part is the word "combination" Seems that most of you folks have the question answered. The DOT is hammering on the commercial vehicles to get their act together. Also the commercial driver usually has a company with deep pockets. The recreational driver is usually quiet methodical with the RV or trailer that they are pulling. Meaning they don't drive it every day and don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with their family.
I do work for a commercial outfit and if I am correct the minimum weight is 36000 pounds GVW for a class B. I am talking about an RV or cab and chassis system. When you add a trailer and the GVW is greater than 10000 pounds then you begin to get into the Class A "combination" requirement. You can have an 8800 rated truck pulling a 10001 pound GVW trailer and get into the Class A rating. Most of the time it is how the trooper interprets the law.
Then you get into the Air brake endorsement and the haz-mat endorsement.
D'sBaystealth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #22
sargentmajor
I Beat Anorexia

sargentmajor has been promoted to Piratesargentmajor has been promoted to Piratesargentmajor has been promoted to Piratesargentmajor has been promoted to Piratesargentmajor has been promoted to Piratesargentmajor has been promoted to Piratesargentmajor has been promoted to Piratesargentmajor has been promoted to Piratesargentmajor has been promoted to Piratesargentmajor has been promoted to Piratesargentmajor has been promoted to Pirate
Cowboys Too

Also applies to pick ups with long goosenecks,ie 32ft.Its all about gross weight rating and being nice to the officers....26001 is the weight rating of both vehicles not the weight you are carrying.
sargentmajor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #23
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
I think there is still confusion. We are not talking about commercial drivers licenses. To tow a RV trailer with over 10,000 Gross Weight Capacity (empty trailer + cargo capacity = more than 10,000 pounds) you need a NON commercial license.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #24
limey
Limey

limey has been promoted to Piratelimey has been promoted to Piratelimey has been promoted to Piratelimey has been promoted to Piratelimey has been promoted to Piratelimey has been promoted to Piratelimey has been promoted to Piratelimey has been promoted to Piratelimey has been promoted to Piratelimey has been promoted to Piratelimey has been promoted to Pirate
http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm This site states you need a class B Non CDL for >26000lbs. Therefore I would assume you need a class A Non CDL for <26000lbs.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #25
od
Registered Users-pm+

od has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunner
ODbud

Just went to the DPS station on Will Clayton in Humble to pick up a Drivers Handbook. Was given the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Handbook. I explained to the gentleman that I wanted information for a Class 'A' NON COMMERCIAL LICENSE. He looked at me kind of funny and gave me that book and said to study chapter14: Special Requirements for Texas Commercial Motor Vehicles. RV was only mentioned once in which it tell's the Commerical Driver that,"Realize drivers of RV's and smaller vehicles pulling trailers can be a problem because they may not have the professional skills or knowledge of the professional truck driver". WHAT A CROCK. Never known an RV driver to be on Molly's or Yellow Jackets, lol. Will be checking with the Livingston office for more info. I don't even have a rig yet but would like to get my license out of the way for when I do. I already have a truck that can do the job. Just now starting to ck out the rigs. Fixing to retire soon. Just some FYI. Thanks
od is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #26
od
Registered Users-pm+

od has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunnerod has been promote to Gunner
ODbud

Just went to the DPS station on Will Clayton in Humble to pick up a Drivers Handbook. Was given the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Handbook. I explained to the gentleman that I wanted information for a Class 'A' NON COMMERCIAL LICENSE. He looked at me kind of funny and gave me that book and said to study chapter14: Special Requirements for Texas Commercial Motor Vehicles. RV was only mentioned once in which it tell's the Commerical Driver that,"Realize drivers of RV's and smaller vehicles pulling trailers can be a problem because they may not have the professional skills or knowledge of the professional truck driver". WHAT A CROCK. Never known an RV driver to be on Molly's or Yellow Jackets, lol. Will be checking with the Livingston office for more info. I don't even have a rig yet but would like to get my license out of the way for when I do. I already have a truck that can do the job. Just now starting to ck out the rigs. Fixing to retire soon. Just some FYI. Thanks
od is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #27
ShadMan
Somewhere Between Insanity and Texas

ShadMan has been promoted to PirateShadMan has been promoted to PirateShadMan has been promoted to PirateShadMan has been promoted to PirateShadMan has been promoted to PirateShadMan has been promoted to PirateShadMan has been promoted to PirateShadMan has been promoted to PirateShadMan has been promoted to PirateShadMan has been promoted to PirateShadMan has been promoted to Pirate
Had to go and look at mine. Luckily my 5er comes in at 9200 GVWR. Good to go!
ShadMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #28
Floatin Doc
Registered Users-pm+

Floatin Doc has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWillie View Post
Can you imagine the financial impact on South TX if the law was enforced? I've been an RV owner for years.....never seen a fifth wheel on the side of the road with flashing lights behind it. DPS and local LEO know the law....they just don't enforce it. Some things are just better left alone.
Not all states require a class a or class b license to operate a rv. Winter Texans are governed by the state of residence.
Floatin Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #29
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWillie View Post
I haven't towed out of TX, but I've been told that is not the case.

Back to the original issue. I talked to a friend and his wife just a few days ago. They tow RV's commercially with a class C TX license. They do have to stop at all weight stations and maintain a log book. Towed in 42 states so far. He said they go by actual net weight, not GVWR. Wow, talk about confusing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're towing RV's commercially. We're not. I don't think.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #30
Floatin Doc
Registered Users-pm+

Floatin Doc has disabled reputation
The FMCA website has a list of all the states requirements for towing RV's. Then there's that residency thing. In some states(Texas) you have to register your vehicle and change your DL as soon as you establish a residence. Like get a mailing address, or 30 days. A lot of winter Texans have a P.O. box where they get their mail while here. Does that make them a resident? As for towing with a class C license for hire. As soon as you make the first dollar for towing, you become a commercial operator and are required to have a CDL.
Floatin Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message