Still drifting Somerville - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > The Catfish Lounge
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
nikki
Registered Users-pm+

nikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Pirate
Still drifting Somerville

Shorty being 16 and not interested any longer and KoKo same age having hip problems I'm mostly alone. Making 3 or 4 trips a week, been doing good to great last few weeks in 14' up to 8 lbs with few limits and most times 15 to 20 fish. Lots of less than 14" taking bait but shad getting harder to catch even with 6ft net. Corp not making any effort to open RC or Yequa so you have OL and Welch depending on wind direction.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Andrew99
Not Confirmed

Andrew99 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I am guessing you rig up with weight above a swivel and use a small float between the swivel and hook to keep the bait off the bottom to minimize snags. Sound right? Do you use a drift sock to control drift speed?
Andrew99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
nikki
Registered Users-pm+

nikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Piratenikki has been promoted to Pirate
A99= My method is a weight on bottom and 2 circle hooks spaced 12"- 15" above and avoid any swivels. Drift line at about a 45 degree and use drift sock or socks depend if needed due to wind speed. Some use your style so most anything will work but I often hook doubles as channels will stick together. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
OutlawDave
Registered Users-pm+

OutlawDave has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerOutlawDave has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerOutlawDave has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerOutlawDave has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerOutlawDave has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerOutlawDave has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerOutlawDave has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerOutlawDave has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerOutlawDave has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerOutlawDave has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerOutlawDave has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
@Nikki

Was up there on the 10th, mainly just to relax and run the boat with the wife. Got there around 11 and picked up 3 very nice whites before the wind kicked up and the lips locked shut.

Never targeted cats but may have to one of these days. Trolling around I still see big balls of shad, have you ever tried a shad trawl ? I have zero experience with em ..
OutlawDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
nikki
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDave View Post
@Nikki

Was up there on the 10th, mainly just to relax and run the boat with the wife. Got there around 11 and picked up 3 very nice whites before the wind kicked up and the lips locked shut.

Never targeted cats but may have to one of these days. Trolling around I still see big balls of shad, have you ever tried a shad trawl ? I have zero experience with em ..
Stick with cast net, I did a test for a friend the shad trawl and I would not waste my money. I've used all sizes of cast net with great success but from now to March you have to depend on luck in finding them.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #6
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Stick with cast net, I did a test for a friend the shad trawl and I would not waste my money. I've used all sizes of cast net with great success but from now to March you have to depend on luck in finding them.
Thanks for sharing your rig with us nikki.
Yep, take that money you might spend on a shad trawl and set it on fire, or buy beer with it.
Is there a you tube somewhere that shows somebody being successful with one?
Old 11-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
texasGG
Reelrednecks Fishing Team

texasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to PiratetexasGG has been promoted to Pirate
shad trawls

Yeah, I bought a shad trawl and tried it on Somerville years ago. I drove in circles per instructions. I added weight again per instructions. I watched for shad hitting surface, did it all and sold that shad trawl at our next garage sale for $2.00 and was glad to get it. You've heard, even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in awhile. Same concept with that shad trawl. I never caught a single shad in mine though.
texasGG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasGG View Post
Yeah, I bought a shad trawl and tried it on Somerville years ago. I drove in circles per instructions. I added weight again per instructions. I watched for shad hitting surface, did it all and sold that shad trawl at our next garage sale for $2.00 and was glad to get it. You've heard, even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in awhile. Same concept with that shad trawl. I never caught a single shad in mine though.

That's the same story I have heard from everyone who tries it.
I let a customer/friend talk me into getting one as he had an idea on how to make it work.
$2.00 you say? If it had weights i might get that for it, lol!
I think I'll make a keeper or lift net out of it.