Where should I fish offshore? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 08-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
Foster_hendrickson
Registered Users-pm+

Foster_hendrickson is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Where should I fish offshore?

I’m new to offshore fishing and now that snapper season is closed I honestly have no idea what to do. I fish out of Freeport and typically hit liberty ship or Salvador. But all I catch there are snapper. I’d like to catch mahi, amberjack, honestly what ever bites. Can anyone enlighten me on where to go to fish or what to even fish for?
Foster_hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Lostinpecos
Registered Users-pm+

Lostinpecos has been promoted to PirateLostinpecos has been promoted to PirateLostinpecos has been promoted to PirateLostinpecos has been promoted to PirateLostinpecos has been promoted to PirateLostinpecos has been promoted to PirateLostinpecos has been promoted to PirateLostinpecos has been promoted to PirateLostinpecos has been promoted to PirateLostinpecos has been promoted to PirateLostinpecos has been promoted to Pirate
60-100 miles out. Drop live bait or cut up fish to catch other species other than snapper.

Top water or troll for Mahi and such.

Deep drop in 1000 ft and you won’t need to worry about snappers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lostinpecos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
Sugars Pop
Registered Users-pm+

Sugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to PirateSugars Pop has been promoted to Pirate
You can troll near shore for kings, find a weed line for chicken durado, jacks, state water for snaps..

Get some large dead shad, 16 O circle hooks, 200 lb mono leader and drift in 30-40 feet near shore for sharks, jacks, bull reds, tarpon. Tie a balloon on a couple lines to get them farther out, drift without a weight, use small egg sinker etc. Catching 10-15 100 lb black tips will wear you out.
Sugars Pop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

photofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Pirate
first, since nobody has asked...what size/type of boat do you have and what's your fuel range?
If you want to target bluewater fish such as mahi, wahoo, tuna etc you'll typically have to be at the edge...i.e. starting around rigs like Cervesa, the Intersection rigs etc. That's about 70 miles out. For yellowfin, sails, marlin, wahoo etc., you can start there and go further to Boomvang, Nansen (120 or so miles) and Hoover (140 or so miles). These are overnight trips which require extra fuel for many boats and a decent amount of preparation, such as the proper weather window, the right equipment and especially the right safety equipment. after you hit the edge, it drops from ~400ft to ~2500ft rather quickly...so you can fish for tiles, barrel fish, swordfish etc.
photofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
Foster_hendrickson
Registered Users-pm+

Foster_hendrickson is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I have a 30 foot cuddy cabin and am not ready to go further then 70 miles offshore
Foster_hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
TexasEdition
Registered Users-pm+

TexasEdition is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
70 Miles should get you into some decent AJ, Beeliner, and Grouper territory.
TexasEdition is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
jamesw
Registered Users-pm+

jamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Pirate
Yeah, 70 miles can get you to the weather buoy, Sunrise platform, intersection platforms, etc. Lots of good fishing within 70 miles.
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
fishinganimal
Registered Users-pm+

fishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Piratefishinganimal has been promoted to Pirate
Hire a guide to capt your boat or go with some guides that will put you on some Pelagics
and show you the techniques. You will learn more in one day that takes months or years to learn. It will be worth every penny.
fishinganimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
RoverA6
Registered Users-pm+

RoverA6 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)RoverA6 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)RoverA6 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)RoverA6 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)RoverA6 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)RoverA6 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)RoverA6 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)RoverA6 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)RoverA6 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)RoverA6 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)RoverA6 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
To start, I'd go to 200'+ of water and structure and drop big live baits and see what happens. Should find AJ's
RoverA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #10
Capt_Gilligan
Registered Users-pm+

Capt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerCapt_Gilligan has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesw View Post
Yeah, 70 miles can get you to the weather buoy, Sunrise platform, intersection platforms, etc. Lots of good fishing within 70 miles.
Sunrise is 73.5 statute miles from the end of the Freeport jetties so maybe a little out of range, unless you have a little extra reserve. I’d hit preragrine 101-1 and 201-1 sites. Have caught a lot of AJs and some nice grouper there. 101 is 69 and 201 is 70.1.
Capt_Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message